Draft Day: Who thinks this is a bad idea? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft Day: Who thinks this is a bad idea?

The Bopkin

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
Hello All-
As I run through draft options in my head, I'd like to throw this idea out just to see what people think. I know we have various areas we want to hit besides offensive line(WR, S, LB, DT), but I personally believe that since the running game is key to our team, and that our 0-line MUST get fixed, I propose this scenario:
Round 1: Trade down at least once; maybe twice, try to end up between 29 and 33; end up with another 3rd rounder and take either Snee or Smiley to fill the RGuard spot.
Round 3: we would have 2 thirds. I don't know where his stock currently rates, but either take Kelly Butler RT Purdue with one pick, or if necessary, take him with one third if he lasts that long then snag a WR with the second.
I know that drafting 2 linemen with 2 day 1 picks may not be popular, but I say go balls to the wall and bring in the bodies, find the best five to start, then build from there with depth. Our drafting history since JJ took over has been piss-poor for Oline, with the exception of Todd Wade, who was merely "good". I say we need to inundate that line with talent and let them battle it out. It's key to our success, it must be done.
Feel free to agree or bash away.
Happy Easter

I agree about 90 percent cause we dont need to waste a 3rd round pick on another OL and plus just with our 1st round pick with either Andrews/Smiley/Snee we will have a pretty decent OL. With the 3rd round we need to go DL since our DT r getting old and Ogun might be leaving. But pretty good thought :rocker:

i like the idea of taking OL (Andrews/Smiley/Carey) round 1, but we most likely need to go WR/DT in round 3 depending on whos there. I wouldnt be upset if we took an OT (butler?) in the mid rounds tho...all depends on whats available when we pick i guess

Last edited by a moderator:
wouldn't mind taking ot shane andrews, shawn's brother, if he's there in the 6th. strictly a project but has great potential.

I really like this idea. By taking a RG and RT in the draft, depending on the status of McIntosh we could sure up the entire right side. If McIntosh's recovery is looking good then this is out. So this scenario is very possible depending solely on McIntosh. By trading down you could then take a DT with the second third. Thus filling the DT need, or the second third rounder could be used on a S or LB. A few suggestions being Demorrio Williams LB Nebraska, Will Allen S OSU, Bob Sanders S Iowa, or maybe a DT like Chad Lavalais from LSU. Now I dont know how these guys would fit into our system, but we will be picking where all of these guys are projected to go.

I'm ok with trading down and taking Snee(I doubt that we can trade down to the end of round one and still get Smiley)and adding a 3rd if we can. But we will not take 2 o-linemen imo. I'd go DT(Askew?)and a WR or LB.

Ozzy rules!!

I don't think we'll take a safety anymore but we'll take a LB and a DT besides a WR and an o-lineman.

Ozzy rules!!

I forgot about Wooden and Akins... OK I am not as worried about the S position I just didnt want an often injured player to be expected to be the savior, with Freeman as the backup. So that being said LB, DT, or WR should be the pick. So here is a updated list of possibilities. LB's Demorrio Williams Neb and Courtney Watson ND. DT's Chad Lavalais LSU, Junior Saivii Oregon, Terry Johnson Washington, and even possibly DeMarco McNeil Auburn depending on the availablity of the other players. WR maybe a player like Derrick Hamilton out of Clemson.

i would really like to get junior saivii in the 4th. from what i've read he is very raw but big upside. he could be 4th dt this year while working on techniques then be ready to contribute in 2005.

Don't forget we drafted 2 first day OL last year, as well as spending some money on FA this year. Unless players fall drastically into our laps and offer serious value, I would pass on taking 2 OL on day one.

Just my opinion tho, but I do like the trade down plans. What picks are deemed similar, is it 15-35? If so stock up on as many picks as possible, trade as many times as you can but keep a pick in the top 35(or whatever the "drop-off" line in talent is).

Originally posted by Danny
I don't think we'll take a safety anymore but we'll take a LB and a DT besides a WR and an o-lineman.

Ozzy rules!!

Safety is still a concern.Sammy Knight is in the last year of his contract and his play at SS was average.Even though Wanny said they would like to sign Knight to a contract extension, its RS who has the say who the sign.
Wooden/Atkins are used mostly for ST's and they would not be very good filling in for Knight.

I still don't see us taking a safety on day one. I think if we stay with the picks we have we'll go o-line and either WR or DT. Maybe a LB. Maybe we'll take a safety on the 2nd day but if we do we'll have to let go someone else. If we need a safety after next year we can then draft one in 2005.

Ozzy rules!!

Trading down 10 spots would likely land us a 2nd.

going by appearance value, then yeah, a 2nd rounder seems a likely price for a 10 spot change. But if you go by the point charts, its worth more around a mid-early 3rd rounder

Back
Top Bottom