Draft Grades | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft Grades

Kebo

I'm your huckleberry
Club Member
Reaction score
Miami Dolphins

51 Cam Smith CB
I had a first round grade on him. He is a nice value pick. He will make it possible to offload Howard or Ramsey in a couple of years.

84 Devon Achane RB
I am not usually a fan of RBs under 210 pounds, but this guy helps our offense. He is a playmaker with world class speed. He also catches the ball with ease, very good hands. He gives Tua that check down guy he has been missing. He will also be a great kickoff returner. If you are a fan of Jahmyr Gibbs, you will love this guy.

197 Elijah Higgins TE
I absolutely hated this pick. To be honest I had never heard of this guy. I guess the hope is that he can resemble Kittles. I don’t think he comes close. Wasted pick imho. I wanted Jarrett Patterson.

238 Ryan Hayes OT
I loved this pick. He is long, a little bit lean. He has played well at Michigan for the last four years. He needs to get stronger, but that should happen. I like his effort and potential.

Grade for Miami is a B. Overall I am a fan of this draft. I think we got good value with only four picks.

New York Jets

15 Will McDonald OLB
He is an athletic pass rusher. He isn’t great in the run game as he is a bit light. I had a second round grade on him. I like the player, but this was too early.

43 Joe Tippmann C
I like this player. He is a typical Wisconsin OL. He is tough and technically sound. I had him just outside the top 50. Again, good player, a bit early.

120 Carter Warren OT
I like this guy’s potential. I don’t think he is ready to play yet. He has a good frame and good feet. He needs to get stronger.

143 Israel Abanikanda
This guy has the size and speed, lacks vision. This is a solid pick. No complaints, he should play right away, at least until Breece Hall is healthy. Good pick

184 Zaire Barnes LB
I never heard of this guy. Maybe he can help on special teams

204 Jarrick Converse CB
He was a backup corner at LSU. I doubt he becomes a starter in the NFL. Maybe he can help on special teams.

220 Zack Kunts TE
He is very athletic and long. He has potential as an offensive weapon. He is not a great blocker. At this point in the draft it is a good pick.

Grade C-
I think they reached on the top guys. I don’t think they helped their biggest need which was OT. They did make a couple of solid picks. I could have given them a C+, but I freaking hate the Jets like no other.

Buffalo Bills

25 Dalton Kincaid
He is a very good receiver. He gets in and out of breaks well. He has great hands, dynamic weapon at TE. He is not a good blocker. I had them picking OG Torrence here.

59 Ocyrus Torrence OG
This was a great pick. They got the second best guard in the draft at the end of the second round. This was also their biggest need position imo. Like I said, I had them taking this guy in round 1. Excellent pick

91 Dorian Williams LB
Williams is an underrated LB. I like him and I like this pick. Helps ease the pain of losing Edmunds. Again, it is a position of need. Good pick

150 Justin Shorter WR
He is a big slow WR. He is not a great route runner. He doesn’t have great hands. I didn’t have him in my top 200. I am at a loss here. What were they thinking. Terrible pick.

230 Nick Broeker G
He is a guy with some potential. He is a bit unrefined. At this point of the draft I think it is a good pick.

252 Alex Austin CB
I didn’t have this guy on my board. At this point in the draft it is all a crap shoot. No idea on this one.

Grade B-
I think they made some good picks. I also think they made one of the worst picks in the draft. I would have given them a B+ without the Shorter pick.

New England Patriots

17 Christian Gonzalez CB
He is my #1 rated corner in the draft, very good pick. They were at #14 and traded down to #17. This allowed the Steelers to come up and snake the rival Bills for OT Broderick Jones. Then they still get their guy at #17. This was a master class on drafting by Belichek.

46 Keion White DE
He is a very talented guy, but his production hasn’t matched his talent. He needs to be coached up. Belichek is a good place to go to get that coaching. Good pick

76 Marte Mapu S
He is an underrated safety. I like him. I didn’t have him this high, but I think he could be a steal. He is a tall rangy safety with good ball skills. This is another solid pick.

107 Jake Andrews C
He is a center with good technique. He has good effort. This pick is a bit of a reach, but I think he can play a role as a backup.

112 Chad Rylund K
He is a kicker and he isn’t even my #1 kicker. I don’t like the pick.

117 Sidy Sow G
He is a guard that is good in the run game. He is a strong guy, not the best movement skills. I think this was a bit of a reach.

144 Antonio Mafi G
I am starting to see a pattern here. I am not a big fan of this guy. I think Belichek feels like if he takes enough interior OL guys then at least one will hit.

187 Kayshon Boutte WR
He was a highly ranked WR until he ran his 40. He is not fast. He is a big target and a good route runner. He reminds me of Jarvis Landry. At 187 this is a value pick, very nice get.

192 Bryce Baringer P
He is a punter, enough said.

210 Demario Douglas WR
He was not on my board. I don’t know, maybe special team value.

214 Amber Speed CB
He was at Georgia and transferred out. He isn’t an elite guy, but he could add some special team value.

245 Isaiah Bolden CB
It looks like another pattern is developing here. He keeps double dipping at positions of need. I think that makes a lot of sense

Draft Grade A-
I really like what he did at the top of the draft. Gonzalez, White, and Mapu are immediate contributors. I also think Boutte was one of the best picks in the draft as late as he got him. The other guys are gambles late. This is a Solid draft.

The under reported skill for Achane his his pass catching.

He also has great balance and while his speed is obvious it is the way he gets to top speed quickly that makes him so dangerous.

I do not know how you deal with him with Hill and Waddle already on the field.

On the Higgins pick:

Two years in a row, McD has sought an H-back type of TE, rather than an inline guy. I'm thinking that this is a tell on what he's trying to do-- drag smaller TE types into open zones to act as a check down... especially in 2 TE sets.

I think we need to reevaluate our initial opinions of what he's trying to do here.

The assumption always was that he would want a George Kittle type TE(who wouldn't?)but it seems to be hard to find George Kittle's just lying around.

The assumption always was that he would want a George Kittle type TE(who wouldn't?)but it seems to be hard to find George Kittle's just lying around.

We’ll just grab Brock Bowers with our late 1st next draft ;)

As long as the NFL doesn’t take it from us again, that is.

The under reported skill for Achane his his pass catching.

He also has great balance and while his speed is obvious it is the way he gets to top speed quickly that makes him so danges.

I do not know how you deal with him with Hill and Waddle already on the field.
I'm trying to come up with scenarios where Miami can get all their speed on the field at the same time, including Mostert and Achane.

I imagine McDaniel is playing "mad scientist " with different formations.

Good analysis, Kebo.

Obviously, the grade is different if you factor in Chubb, Ramsey and Jeff Wilson.

Smith and Achane should contribute right away. And I agree Smith could emerge to the point where Grier may be able to move off Howard's bad contract.

White to New England is probably the perfect spot for him and Gonzalez was the top corner. It doesn't look like the Patriots have done enough to help their offense.

Kincaid was unexpected from Buffalo. It will be interesting to see how they use him. Torrence should start.

I didn't love the Jets draft, but we shall see. Kunz is a potentially interesting late pick.

Back
Top Bottom