Draft LT or no? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft LT or no?

Silverphin

Chairman of the 'Owned! Awards' Commitee
Reaction score
Something I've been thinking about for a while.

Is it really wise to draft an left tackle at all during the draft? Anthony Alabi seems to be our future left tackle. Now, I would definitely understand if we had a garbage veteran of an LT right now, but McIntosh is Solid, and we can afford to wait and let Alabi develop. So is it wise to draft LT, and why if it is?

Silverphin said:

Is it really wise to draft an left tackle at all during the draft? Anthony Alabi seems to be our future left tackle. Now, I would definitely understand if we had a garbage veteran of an LT right now, but McIntosh is Solid, and we can afford to wait and let Alabi develop. So is it wise to draft LT, and why if it is?

Depends on who is available, IMO. If Ferguson, through some gigantic miracle were to slip to us, I'd say draft him without any thought, but I'm not 100% sold on Winston Justice. As others have said, he may be a better RT than LT. Having said that, I woulnd't put all my marbles into Alabi becoming our future LT and drafting another one at some point in the draft would probably be a good idea. Alabi is a prospect and nothing more. He's got one of the best if not the best O-Line coach working on him but that doesn't guarantee that he will become a good LT. There are reasons why he was only drafted in the 5th round.

We do need to draft a young stud, but not in the 1st round. I really doubt that we will go after an Ot the first two round because the coaches seems to have alot of faith in Alabi to be our starting LT next season.

Ace88 said:
We do need to draft a young stud, but not in the 1st round. I really doubt that we will go after an Ot the first two round because the coaches seems to have alot of faith in Alabi to be our starting LT next season.

Agree, with Coach HH on board its 3rd round and up for any OL picks.

If HH really feels Alabi is going to be our future LT, then NO we don't need to draft a LT. Now if one of the premier studs (aka Ferguson) drop to us, well then we would definitely have to think about it. Otherwise, we have plenty of other holes we have to fill.

We have an OK O-line right now. Needs some work, we all know this. And LT is the most important job on the line. Alittle healthy competition never hurt anyone. If we can take someone, then pull the trigger. Worst case we can try moving him to a guard or RT.

Silverphin said:

McIntosh's contract and McDougle's penalties ensure that neither will return next year. Even assuming Alabi and Carey work out as the starters, we need depth at the tackle positions. Therefore, I think we will draft a tackle, although probably not at the top of the draft unless Saban thinks one is the best player available at #16.

Well why not Draft Winston Justice in the first round? I mean look at this. Alabi is suppose to be our future LT well if that works out great and if not then Justice is there and adds depth. Also if Alabi proves to be a very good LT is it that bad that we move Justice to the RT? Justice could play either and would add alot of depth because he could play both tackle positions.

Skeet84 said:
Well why not Draft Winston Justice in the first round? I mean look at this. Alabi is suppose to be our future LT well if that works out great and if not then Justice is there and adds depth. Also if Alabi proves to be a very good LT is it that bad that we move Justice to the RT? Justice could play either and would add alot of depth because he could play both tackle positions.

Considering Justice is a RT we could start both of them.

SpeedRush99 said:
Considering Justice is a RT we could start both of them.

He is not just a Right Tackle. he can play the Left Tackle as well. Yes thats a good Idea just play them both. Would that move Vernon Carey to guard or the Bench?

Ace88 said:

I heard Saban say one thing is for sure. We need to get our QB, upgrade the Oline, and get younger on defense. Of course drafting a LT is a high possibility in the first round.

The one scenario I wonder about is do we trade down with Denver for our pick and Ricky ( and maybe a pick next year or something)to get there two #1's and draft two stud linemen and Croyle in the second. :D

Skeet84 said:

Its not bad at all cus Houck likes his OL to learn more than one spot on the line.

Skeet84 said:
He is not just a Right Tackle. he can play the Left Tackle as well. Yes thats a good Idea just play them both. Would that move Vernon Carey to guard or the Bench?
he's never played LT. hard to tell if he can or not.

Juan Cribbs said:
he's never played LT. hard to tell if he can or not.

Yes he did play some Left tackle. I think the only reason he was the right tackle was to protect Matt Leinart's Blind side.

Back
Top Bottom