Draft Notes: Don't Read Too Much Into Young Visit | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft Notes: Don't Read Too Much Into Young Visit

Da 'Fins

FinHeaven VIP
Club Member
Reaction score
[mod] Please keep draft threads in the draft forum. [/mod]

The Florida papers seem to love to jump on this stuff. So, too, ESPN.com.

Personally, I think that Saban is just doing his due diligence. The Dolphins have likely heard that Young may be falling in the draft. There's only so many teams that have needs at QB in the top 10 (esp. now that New Orleans signed Brees). And, some of those at the very top may not want to spend a top 5 pick on Young. If he gets past the #9-10 slot in Rd. 1, it is a good chance he'll fall to our slot.

At that point, Young is a talent that would be hard to pass up or not take a long hard look, at the least. But, if that is a possibility, you want to have all your bases covered. So, you invite him in for a workout - recognizing there is a slight, but realistic chance he may drop to you. At the least, you have a much better read on his capabilities. If he looks like a star in the making, it would be hard to pass him up.

Beyond that, Saban realizes that everyone will be looking at what he does. He doesn't do anything publicly that he does not realize will be scrutinized by everyone else. The more names he brings in for workouts and interviews, the less anyone will be able to figure out exactly what he will do, come draft day.

I wouldn't put it past Saban to still try to trade down to get more picks if a team makes the right offer and he has guys in mind at the lower end of the spectrum. But, where he wants to be on draft day is here:

a) Have a solid idea of who he thinks are the top players in round 1 and be ready to pull the trigger should one or two drop to his slot;

b) Not allow anyone to know what he and Meuller are thinking about players, moves, etc. Secrecy is a big deal to Nick as we all know.

Finally, I think Saban has a much better handle on what he thinks he needs and can get out of the draft this year. He now knows what players have to do to make it in the NFL; what it requires of a rookie to get PT; what he can expect from some rookies coming into the league; etc. Last year's draft went very well and I think this year's will also - even if he goes in a direction no one expects.

you can speculate on why we brought young in for a look, or you can just watch the interview saban did at the owner's meeting on monday. he was actually pretty straight forward about it.

thecoordinator said:
you can speculate on why we brought young in for a look, or you can just watch the interview saban did at the owner's meeting on monday. he was actually pretty straight forward about it.

would you happen to know where one might find that interview? please

Back
Top Bottom