Draft or no draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft or no draft

Dajesus

Active Roster
Reaction score
This team had enough talent to be a contender last year. Nothing has changed except a few upgrades at LB and KR. It will come down to our coaching staff keeping these guys up, and ready bring their A game every sunday. Oh yeah Ricky has to stay healthy.

More specifically, I think success this season will lay in the hands of Jim Bates. The guy simply cannot get away with playing prevent defenses and not blitzing. We have something like 8 Probowlers on this defense (assuming Knight signs on), so there will be no excuse for another Minnesota disaster, like last season. If this D isn't top 2, Bates needs to be on his way out......

how would blitzing of stopped the Minnasota disater? If people covered their man, then the game would of been fine

Tough crowd. The defense usually does do most of the work. The offense has to pick it up and put up points in close and shoot out games. They just can't vanish for the second half of a game and say the D didn't hold em again. If the D has to play the whole game then the O should too.

The problem in the MIN game was that the offense didn't play at all in the second half.

The defense couldn't stop MIN on 3 consecutive plays.

Receivers have to catch easy touchdown passes...

is a new year guys.We're starting over and everyone is 0 and 0 at this point. It'll all come down to 3 things again. Turnovers, penalties and injuries. We nned to avoid turnovers and create some on defence. We need to stop the stupid penalties and we need to stay healthy. Is all as simple as that. If we do those 3 things then we'll be in the superbowl. If not, then we'll be disapointed once again.

The point of my post up there is that Bates played a very vanilla defense last season. I don't care how much talent you have on a defense, if the opponent knows what you're going to do, you aren't going to be too effective. That was the problem last season. Offenses knew Madison would be on the left, Surtain on the right, Fletcher in the slot, etc. He needs to mix things up. Give different looks. BLITZ FOT CHRIST'S SAKE! If Daunte Culpepper had gotten a little pressure, knocked around a few times, I don't think they would have been as effective an offense......

While the defense definitely enjoyed a great season, there were several occasions where they could not come up with defensive stands in critical situations - most notably the Minnesota game.

The defense has great individual talent and plays a very disciplined game but is very predictable. Against inferior teams the defense can be downright dominating. But, particularly against the better teams I agree that we need to mix it up some more.

Originally posted by FinsGoToGuy
The problem in the MIN game was that the offense didn't play at all in the second half.

The defense couldn't stop MIN on 3 consecutive plays.

If you mean the offense didn't play at all because they only had two possessions then I agree but, if you mean that the offense was bad in the second half, then you are wrong......They scored every time they had the ball.....Okay, it was only twice, but if Cris "all I do(for the Dolphins) is drop TD's" Carter had held onto the ball that hit him right in the hands, twice would have been enough.

Yes you could have blitzed more, but if the O could have gotten it done the blitz wouldnt have mattered, I think the sets were too base to do so from without getting mismatched somewhere, and the exotic blitzes were being saved for when they counted (playoffs) so there could be no filme or audibles for those formations.
Dont blame the number three D, they were terrific.

This defense is good but can implode. Hopefully with Buckley, Seau, Moore and possibly Knight that will change.

Afterall we gave up 48 to KC, 38 to Buffalo, 27 to NE. In fact out of 16 games we only held teams to under 20 points 6 times.

Offense and special teams were part of that. Think return game should be upgraded to help play field position. Wanny learned from people mistakes, has personnell kept intact and ready with upgraded qb depth. Can he make the coaching decisions to get to next level, you guys are playoff lock to me, but Jets may edge you out on East , This fan is waiting to see if your qb can make it over the hump in playoffs, especially since you will probably play at least one road playoff game due to division toughness and overall schedule.
And for the other post going, CHambers isnt a #1, his game slips when getting too many looks, asking otherwise of him may be big mistake. Another FA addition awaits.

Just two things need to happen and we should be ok ....

We need a capable backup which we should have in Griese and Ricky needs to remain healthy although I feel very comfortable with our backups RB's.On defense,I don't worry too much since Fins have depth.

Back
Top Bottom