Draft picks update | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft picks update

MDFINFAN

Reach for the Stars
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
In looking at this if Rivers have the best numbers, which this chart shows of the top QB's why isn't he getting top billing? Look at this guys numbers compared to all the other QB's..I don't understant. He did play division 1A ball didn't he?

Draft Update

People still question his footwork and release.
I personally have ALWAYS LOVED Rivers and wanted him to be a Dolphin draft choice.
He has all the intangibles and can read a defense, screw all the naysayers.

his mechanics hurt him...i think we would be VERY fortunate to get Philip if he falls to us...if he falls to us we better pick him thats all I have to say...sure you can pick up a good guard or something but a QB stays with you for the rest of his career if hes solid...and theyre the key to an offense he would be far more important with the whole QB mess we have.

Check out these numbers on Philip Rivers against 2 of the best college defenses. (also NC State had a poor o-line this season and he still put up numbers)

9/13 @Ohio State 52 att 36 comp 69.23 comp% 315 yds 4 tds 2 ints

11/15 @Florida State 38 att 28 comp 73.68 comp% 422 yds 4 tds 0 ints

This guy is just a great football player......nothing else matters....the guy can play.....nuff said.

I agree with everyone... His mechanics, specially his release are in question by all scouts....

Originally posted by Carolina_Dolfan
Check out these numbers on Philip Rivers against 2 of the best college defenses. (also NC State had a poor o-line this season and he still put up numbers)

9/13 @Ohio State 52 att 36 comp 69.23 comp% 315 yds 4 tds 2 ints

I'm a Buckeye, that being said, Rivers stormed back on us to put the game in OT. We should have lost except the coach called 2 QB sneaks to end the game. Rivers is a beast. He has shredded the FSU defense 4 YEARS STRAIGHT. NC State's best O-Lineman was hurt all season, their other starting WR was out most of the year, and their tailback TA McClendon was in and out of the lineup all season. I've been jocking Rivers all year and arguing with people on this forum about him LONG before the current buzz about him. WE NEED TO DRAFT THIS GUY!!!!!

No doubt Rivers is for real in the NCAA. I saw that Ohio State game and yeah basically the head coach lost it for them calling two QB sneaks. The announcers were going nuts. Blasted the guy to no end.

The FSU game was lost in similar circumstances with Coach Amato's decision at the end being called to question.

Mainly Rivers has dropped because of questions about his armstrength and the throw motion. The throw motion is just awkward. Doesn't strike fear into a defense thats for sure....looks like how a little kid throws the ball when its way too big for him. But defenses LEARN to fear and respect him. I saw one linebacker quoted saying he's never seen someone who knows so much about whats going on all over the field...said he'll run around and dump the ball to the most unlikely place.

As for the production, I believe Ben Roethlisberger had pretty similar production up in Miami of Ohio. And last year Kliff Kingsbury had about as good production as Rivers had this year. Kingsbury was like a late round pick cuz of his arm.

The thing that makes me feel like Rivers is different from other guys who end up throwing for 4000+ yards and all those TDs in offenses designed for the QB to throw it tons of times, is that Rivers had a really high YPA to go with it. Higher than everyone in Division 1-A except Ryan Dinwiddie. Usually if you're in a monkey passing offense that racks up up a lot of yards, your YPA is gonna be on the lower end to reflect how short most of your throws are. But Rivers is higher than everyones which means he was not only throwing it long but using his ultra accuracy and timing as a weapon to get tons of YAC

Originally posted by ckparrothead
No doubt Rivers is for real in the NCAA. I saw that Ohio State game and yeah basically the head coach lost it for them calling two QB sneaks. The announcers were going nuts. Blasted the guy to no end.

The FSU game was lost in similar circumstances with Coach Amato's decision at the end being called to question.

Mainly Rivers has dropped because of questions about his armstrength and the throw motion. The throw motion is just awkward. Doesn't strike fear into a defense thats for sure....looks like how a little kid throws the ball when its way too big for him. But defenses LEARN to fear and respect him. I saw one linebacker quoted saying he's never seen someone who knows so much about whats going on all over the field...said he'll run around and dump the ball to the most unlikely place.

As for the production, I believe Ben Roethlisberger had pretty similar production up in Miami of Ohio. And last year Kliff Kingsbury had about as good production as Rivers had this year. Kingsbury was like a late round pick cuz of his arm.

The thing that makes me feel like Rivers is different from other guys who end up throwing for 4000+ yards and all those TDs in offenses designed for the QB to throw it tons of times, is that Rivers had a really high YPA to go with it. Higher than everyone in Division 1-A except Ryan Dinwiddie. Usually if you're in a monkey passing offense that racks up up a lot of yards, your YPA is gonna be on the lower end to reflect how short most of your throws are. But Rivers is higher than everyones which means he was not only throwing it long but using his ultra accuracy and timing as a weapon to get tons of YAC

Agreed.
Rivers also played the tougher defenses and still shredded them.
The MAAC had a GREAT year and I'm a big fan, but their defenses still don't quite compare to the big boys. I've seen every Buckeye game for years now and no one shredded our defense like Rivers did. He had constant pressure as well and kept finding a way to complete passes. This guy can read a defense, has pinpoint accuracy, can throw the deep ball, and has a lightning release (albeit at a lower point than most). This guy absolutely REEKS of winning intangibles. DO NOT LET HIM GET AWAY!!!!!

I think if you put Marino, Kosar, and Carr in a blender you have Philip Rivers. I'd be happy with that ANY day of the week.

I remember when Danny wasn't talked about either. The "experts" said he had flaws too.

:yes: :roflmao:

I'm just curious unclemonty I'm not criticizing or anything but how do you see Rivers resembling Marino and Carr?

The two aspects of Rivers that remind me of Marino are the presence in the pocket and the quick release, althought both of these are paler versions of what Marino was working with.

The Bernie Kosar comparisons are obvious, almost exact same throwing motion, about the same size I think, and neither had a cannon.

But what about the David Carr connection? I admit, I just don't know all that much about David Carr heh.

I agree though Rivers does indeed reek of all those intangibles. Even more than Drew Brees did...and Drew Brees had a lot more going against him on the physical side than Phil Rivers does. Unfortunately it looks like the NFL is catching on and Rivers COULD end up a top 15 pick...which puts the Fins S.O.L.

I'd take Rivers if I was the GM and he was there. If he is there and we dont take him ... Anyone want to nominate me for the GM job?

The reason is based on the fact that the College game and the NFL are dramatically different. Having said that some players (QBs especially) are great college players but not great Pros. Another issue is that some players are a product of a great system and their numbers reflect that. I dont necessarily think Rivers is one of those guys, I like him, but thats why some guys with worse numbers are ranked higher.

I still say go get HENSON!!!

His stats despite the throwing motion are just great, and the guys keeps doing it. I would like to get this guy, he seems to have that winner additude about him.

Back
Top Bottom