Draft picks update | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft picks update

The reason some college QB's are great college QB's and not good pro's is that in college you can get away w/ lack of physical talent. For example, Ken Dorsey of UM was a great QB here but he doesnt have the physical makeup (thin and weak arm) for the NFL. Rivers on the other hand does, strong arm, nice frame, and tall.

Definitely. After the FSU game when they lost in such a way that Coach Amato's decision to go for it on 4th and Goal from the 1 was being called into question Rivers defended it pretty fiercely saying he never wants to play the game "not to lose" it and always wants to play to win the game.

I'm sure Rivers also probably agreed with the two QB sneaks called at the end of the Ohio State game, two calls which most everyone who saw the game agrees cost NC State the chance to win. Rivers probably agreed with it cuz he wants the ball put in his hands to win the game. But thats where a GOOD head coach steps back and realizes the limitations of his players and makes the right call.

I tell you the more you ever read about Rivers, the more you see of him, the more you love him. And trust me I started out in this whole debate fiercely against drafting Rivers (or Losman). I wanted only Manning or Henson (not so much Roeth). More I read about Losman and Rivers the more I became uncomfortable with Losman, and waaaaaay more comfortable with Rivers than even Henson...maybe even more than Manning!

Well Marlins, physically yes he's got a big tall frame and a strong arm (he benches 400 lbs). But the velocity on his throws isn't great. Its not as bad as Ken Dorsey's but I would say most starting NFL QBs have a stronger arm than him.

Watching him throw in the senior bowl, I didn't see a problem with his velocity. He threw some pretty tight spirals with a lot of zip.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
I'm just curious unclemonty I'm not criticizing or anything but how do you see Rivers resembling Marino and Carr?

The two aspects of Rivers that remind me of Marino are the presence in the pocket and the quick release, althought both of these are paler versions of what Marino was working with.

But what about the David Carr connection? I admit, I just don't know all that much about David Carr heh.

Yes, definitely a Marino style quick release. Scouts said Marino and Carr both "pushed" the ball. Marino slid to 27 because of this. The rest is history. David Carr had a very similar delivery out of college, but changed it before his NFL start by working with his QB coach. I'm not sure Rivers needs to change anything.

Back
Top Bottom