Draft picks | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft picks

FemaleFinFan

Go G-Men!
Reaction score
Since trading the 2nd to Minn, our 4 pr 5 for Manny last year in the supplemental, and now potentially one less for Harrington, we'll only have 4 picks this year right?

Anyone else concerned about that given our aging defense?

FemaleFinFan said:
Since trading the 2nd to Minn, our 4 pr 5 for Manny last year in the supplemental, and now potentially one less for Harrington, we'll only have 4 picks this year right?

Here's our draft picks

Allow me to post a response I made in the Harrington thread... Excuse the sarcasm :)

Just let me preface with saying, anything after a 4th round pick (in most cases) rarely becomes an immediate impact player... and we have our 1st, 3rd and 4th, with the ability to trade down. 6th and 7th round picks are not valuable at all...

Saban doesnt value draft picks, aww :cry:

Do you REALIZE HOW MANY 6TH AND 7TH ROUND PICKS TURN INTO IMPACT PLAYERS IN THIS LEAGUE!?

This is ridiculous!!! How could Saban trade all our draft picks if he claims to value them so much!? First of all, the trade for Daunte was a steal, just a freaking steal. Our 5th rounder was not trade, it was basically used on this draft but just a year early, on a guy that would have gone before that pick. Are we seriously going to sit here and wonder if Nick should or should not have given up on our 6th and 7th round picks!? Do you realize the low value of these picks? So Kevin Vickerson for Joey Harrington... Is that really so bad, considering our need for a backup QB? Furthermore, not only could Joey provide nice insurance, but if he plays better, there is a good chance a team like KC will come calling with trade offers next year- and Nick likely wont accept less than what he paid for the guy (in terms of draft choices).

So please, before you come on here and try and cry about Nick giving up draft picks because he said he wouldnt, and he lies, and he is turning into another Wanny and its just not fair :cry:... suck it up and realize this is not Wanny and Nick is doing what needs to be done to turn this team around. Perhaps when he builds his core, and fixes all of Wanny's mistakes (which he has astoundingly almost done already), then draft picks will become this sacred jewel that you all expect. But until then, let the man do his job. A 6th or even 7th round pick has the same chance of making the final roster that an undrafted free agent has.

trust saban.

you have no alternative.

atleast we know he knows what he's doing.

unlike the past regime.

I'm really not that concerned with picks. Their is many other ways of getting young talent like the supplemental draft which will have 3 starters off a good pro ready defense from VA. Ahmad Brooks a butkus award finalist and a de and safety could all be worth a look among others. Then picking up players off practice squads like we did Fred Gibson and Burger last year. Saban will take care of that I have faith.

Dolfan1000 said:
Allow me to post a response I made in the Harrington thread... Excuse the sarcasm :)

Just let me preface with saying, anything after a 4th round pick (in most cases) rarely becomes an immediate impact player... and we have our 1st, 3rd and 4th, with the ability to trade down. 6th and 7th round picks are not valuable at all...

Do you REALIZE HOW MANY 6TH AND 7TH ROUND PICKS TURN INTO IMPACT PLAYERS IN THIS LEAGUE!?

This is ridiculous!!! How could Saban trade all our draft picks if he claims to value them so much!? First of all, the trade for Daunte was a steal, just a freaking steal. Our 5th rounder was not trade, it was basically used on this draft but just a year early, on a guy that would have gone before that pick. Are we seriously going to sit here and wonder if Nick should or should not have given up on our 6th and 7th round picks!? Do you realize the low value of these picks? So Kevin Vickerson for Joey Harrington... Is that really so bad, considering our need for a backup QB? Furthermore, not only could Joey provide nice insurance, but if he plays better, there is a good chance a team like KC will come calling with trade offers next year- and Nick likely wont accept less than what he paid for the guy (in terms of draft choices).

So please, before you come on here and try and cry about Nick giving up draft picks because he said he wouldnt, and he lies, and he is turning into another Wanny and its just not fair :cry:... suck it up and realize this is not Wanny and Nick is doing what needs to be done to turn this team around. Perhaps when he builds his core, and fixes all of Wanny's mistakes (which he has astoundingly almost done already), then draft picks will become this sacred jewel that you all expect. But until then, let the man do his job. A 6th or even 7th round pick has the same chance of making the final roster that an undrafted free agent has.

Well said. I don't think there's a player in this year's draft we would have gotten with that 2nd rounder that even comes close to the value the Culpepper will bring to the Fins. Getting Wright for a 5th rounder when he would have been a 1st Day pick this year is also a steal. Vickerson seemed like he would have gotten some PT had he not gotten hurt in the preseason. If Saban wants to give away a 7th round pick for a decent backup QB, it seems like a good move to me.

J dog said:
i think were gonna give away two 7th rounders for harrington

that or maybe a pick next year based on harringtons performance/playing time. with the loss of picks, if there is not an immediate starter that falls to miami, i wuold like to see them trade down for additional picks.

Dolfan1000 said:

:shakeno: :o

aerokev said:
that or maybe a pick next year based on harringtons performance/playing time. with the loss of picks, if there is not an immediate starter that falls to miami, i wuold like to see them trade down for additional picks.

i think we can get a franchise left tackle with our pick in the first round, would rather we stick with the pick and move shelton over to the right side, carey into the rg spot, and hadnot into the center. i dont think the coaches plan on mckinney being a starter at center this year, they gave him what amounts to a one-year contract (there's a $2 mm roster bonus next spring) - most likely as an insurance policy in case hadnot gets hurt or if he doesn't progress at the center like coaches would like to see.

as far as our other pressing needs (olb, db) - lbs are fairly more projectable and have higher success rates in the draft; besides, i don't really see saban missing on a lb prospect. the question is can we get a db in the third round. answer: maybe we won't need to, herring just came on the market recently and schulters still hasn't signed anywhere, i don't think.

FemaleFinFan said:

I think our secondary is pretty young, and given that ZT and JT can play 3-4 more years, and we have Roth, Crowder and Wright, I don't think it's an immediate concern. Saban did the right thing in trading our 2nd for a franchise QB. We have a good nucleus, and some good young players. If Saban continued this trend of trading picks, I'd be worried, but I'm not right now.

kpcane said:
I think our secondary is pretty young, and given that ZT and JT can play 3-4 more years, and we have Roth, Crowder and Wright, I don't think it's an immediate concern. Saban did the right thing in trading our 2nd for a franchise QB. We have a good nucleus, and some good young players. If Saban continued this trend of trading picks, I'd be worried, but I'm not right now.

Agreed

FemaleFinFan said:

I don't think we really have an age problem with our defense anymore. Of the defensive players currently on the roster, only five have atleast 10 years or more of experience.

Back
Top Bottom