Draft Priority by Position | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft Priority by Position

Silverphin

Chairman of the 'Owned! Awards' Commitee
Reaction score
Say you're Nick Saban and/or Randy Mueller. What would be your priority in the draft? Here's mine:

1. Quaterback - After having two straight Hall Of Fame quarterbacks, we had about five or six QB's that were crap (I don't really count Brian Griese or Damon Huard. They were at the right place at the wrong era). This is a definite need.

2. Offensive Guard - It seems Seth McKinney's days are numbered and Rex Hadnot will be our future center. That gives us a hole at OG. While some people believe we need to go OT, I think we need to have patience with Anthony Alabi. Especially if he was handpicked by Hudson Houck.

3. Nose Tackle - Traylor, God bless him, is not going to be here forever. Manuel Wright, despite having a bright future in Miami with many Pro Bowls to come, is too tall to play NT. NT is a definite need. Tim Bowens and Traylor showed us that.

4. Hybrid 4-3 Right Defensive End/3-4 Outside Linebacker - Jason Taylor isn't getting any younger. And we already drafted our future Left End. Now we need someone to play Jason Taylor's current role.

5. Cornerback - Sam Madison might be gone. Reggie Howard better thank god if he doesn't get cut. Mitchell and Poole are coming off of ACL injuries. I think we need draft a CB just in case.

6. Safety - If Lance Schulters is not around next year, we need to draft a ball-hawking safety that can tackle and/or hit (more emplasis on tackle) very well.

What about you guys?

Silverphin said:
Say you're Nick Saban and/or Randy Mueller. What would be your priority in the draft? Here's mine:

1. Quaterback - After having two straight Hall Of Fame quarterbacks, we had about five or six QB's that were crap (I don't really count Brian Griese or Damon Huard. They were at the right place at the wrong era). This is a definite need.

2. Offensive Guard - It seems Seth McKinney's days are numbered and Rex Hadnot will be our future center. That gives us a hole at OG. While some people believe we need to go OT, I think we need to have patience with Anthony Alabi. Especially if he was handpicked by Hudson Houck.

3. Nose Tackle - Traylor, God bless him, is not going to be here forever. Manuel Wright, despite having a bright future in Miami with many Pro Bowls to come, is too tall to play NT. NT is a definite need. Tim Bowens and Traylor showed us that.

4. Hybrid 4-3 Right Defensive End/3-4 Outside Linebacker - Jason Taylor isn't getting any younger. And we already drafted our future Left End. Now we need someone to play Jason Taylor's current role.

5. Cornerback - Sam Madison might be gone. Reggie Howard better thank god if he doesn't get cut. Mitchell and Poole are coming off of ACL injuries. I think we need draft a CB just in case.

6. Safety - If Lance Schulters is not around next year, we need to draft a ball-hawking safety that can tackle and/or hit (more emplasis on tackle) very well.

What about you guys?

1. We need to draft a quality QB in the 1st-2nd rounds and pickup another veteran to compete with Gus/Sage. If Tampa drops Griese because of salary issues, I wouldn't mind picking him up over Tim Couch. He deserves a fair second chance.

2. We should keep Seth for depth issues. We can find guards later in the draft and if someone like Jonathan Scott or Marcus McNeill drops to our draft spot and there's no top QB available, we should draft OT.

3. We can find a good one in the draft also. Montavious Stanley or Gabe Watson could be possibilities.

4. LSU's Melvin Oliver could fit the bill.

5.We should draft a CB but we also need a veteran especially if Sam doesn't return, which I hope he will return.

6. I hope we can resign Schulters but I also think a few good Safeties can be found later in the draft.

Regan21286 said:
1. We need to draft a quality QB in the 1st-2nd rounds and pickup another veteran to compete with Gus/Sage. If Tampa drops Griese because of salary issues, I wouldn't mind picking him up over Tim Couch. He deserves a fair second chance.

2. We should keep Seth for depth issues. We can find guards later in the draft and if someone like Jonathan Scott or Marcus McNeill drops to our draft spot and there's no top QB available, we should draft OT.

3. We can find a good one in the draft also. Montavious Stanley or Gabe Watson could be possibilities.

4. LSU's Melvin Oliver could fit the bill.

5.We should draft a CB but we also need a veteran especially if Sam doesn't return, which I hope he will return.

6. I hope we can resign Schulters but I also think a few good Safeties can be found later in the draft.

I agree with you. Especially on 5. I think we should resign T-Buck for veteran presence.

But tell me more about Melvin Oliver, please.

Here is my order:

1. QB - Go for QB in first round, if Cutler is on the board. If Cutler goes before 16, then wait til 2nd or 3rd round to get QB.

2. DB - Miami's secondary is hurting. If Cutler is gone, I like the idea of going for Huff in the first. If Cutler goes with Miami's first pick, get a DB in the 2nd round.

3. LB - This is a position of great need. If someone like Greenway is there at 16, and Cutler and Huff are gone, snatch him up in the first. If not, get an LB no later than the 3rd round.

4. DT/DE - This position could use another NT or speedy DE than can stand up and play LB. There may be a good developmental guy available in the 4th round at one of these two positions.

5th - 7th rounds - These are the back end rounds. This is where I would get players for the offensive line. Houck can take one of these late round O-linemen and make them better. I'm not a firm believer in drafting O-linemen high in the draft.

mcteems said:
Here is my order:

1. QB - Go for QB in first round, if Cutler is on the board. If Cutler goes before 16, then wait til 2nd or 3rd round to get QB.

2. DB - Miami's secondary is hurting. If Cutler is gone, I like the idea of going for Huff in the first. If Cutler goes with Miami's first pick, get a DB in the 2nd round.

3. LB - This is a position of great need. If someone like Greenway is there at 16, and Cutler and Huff are gone, snatch him up in the first. If not, get an LB no later than the 3rd round.

4. DT/DE - This position could use another NT or speedy DE than can stand up and play LB. There may be a good developmental guy available in the 4th round at one of these two positions.

5th - 7th rounds - These are the back end rounds. This is where I would get players for the offensive line. Houck can take one of these late round O-linemen and make them better. I'm not a firm believer in drafting O-linemen high in the draft.

1 - CB Antonio Cromartie, size and speed and would have been a Top 10 pick next year w/o the injury. Fills a HUGE need. I'm going under the assumption the Falcons will take Huff at #15.

2 - FS Nate Salley, another DB that gives the Dolphins some size and quickness. And with Schulters possibly gone, fills another need.

3 - G Taitusi Lutui, an absolute roadgrading RG to open holes for Brown/Williams.

4 - OLB Pierre Woods, at 6' 5" 250 lbs can be the rush outside linebacke in the 3-4.

5 - WR Jovon Bouknight, has size at 6' 2" 200 lbs

7 - can be filled in for other areas

i think if jimmy williams is there at 16 wich im beeting he is not he go for him 1st....i like cutler but im guessing he is gone to...reading the dalily news the other day reports r cards r gonna nshan him at 10 ..warmer will be gone and mccown sucks...also they say the jets have some interst in him at 4...considering they know pennington blows too....also dont be surprised to see the lions maybe go after him...anways..the way to go is huff from texas..he played a great game the other nite and i really like jacobs a lot..he make a good 2nd rd pick..god willing he si there..he need to adress the ol too and could use a fast/quick aggressive lb..spencer havner from ucla is great had 12 solos vs usc this year and aj nicholson from fsu is good too

23Dolphins34 said:
1 - CB Antonio Cromartie, size and speed and would have been a Top 10 pick next year w/o the injury. Fills a HUGE need. I'm going under the assumption the Falcons will take Huff at #15.

HUGE reach! You don't take that big of a risk on a player coming off injury in the 1st round, especially when he will very likely be there in the 2nd or even 3rd. Jason Allen would fall in the same category.

mcteems said:
Here is my order:

Best list of the thread.

SpeedRush99 said:
HUGE reach! You don't take that big of a risk on a player coming off injury in the 1st round, especially when he will very likely be there in the 2nd or even 3rd. Jason Allen would fall in the same category.
If he looks good in workouts it won't be a reach. He is coming off a big injury, but he might have been the most talented CB in college before he got hurt. I have seen first hand what this kid can do. If we take him some people might question it, but in a few years when he is a regular in Hawaii it won't be a reach then.

My draft proirity list would be as follows:

1. QB- This is the most important position on the field and it is our weakest. Saban has stressed we need to solidify the position and if I were in charge I would do what it takes to do so even if that means trading up. I have a feeling that if we don't get someone like Culpepper in a trade Saban will trade up if necessary to get a franchise QB here.

2. CB- Madison has one foot out the door and it would seem Howard is right behind him unless he is willing to take a major pay cut. Daniels has been solid but would probably be best suited at the nickle spot. Poole had a great rookie year and showed he might be a find, but coming off a major knee injury makes him a question mark. Mitchell has talent but is also coming off of a knee injury and is untested. So right now we have a major question mark at the CB spot. We could bring in a high priced vet, but my money is on Saban taking one in the draft. If somehow we don't get a QB, and there is no stud that slipped to us at say OLB or LT, then CB has to be the pick. Michael Huff could be a star at either CB or S and would be worth a look. As I said before I really like Cromartie alot also if he can prove he is healthy. If we do go QB in round 1 there are some nice second tier CBs that could be their in round 2 as well as some nice sleepers later on (Marcus Maxey).

3. OLB- a trio of Zach, Crowder, and Spreagan is not a bad one, but we need depth, Spreagan could be upgraded, and ZT is not getting any younger. If no QB is there in the first and Greenway or Ryans are we need to take a long look at those two. If not there is also some depth here with guys like A.J. Nicholson orThomas Howard there later on.

4. LT-I think the O-line can be fixed in FA, and there is still a possibility that Alabi can be ready to start next year, but this year's tackle class is very strong and can't be ignored. Plus it is a need position and we still will need depth here. If one of the bigger name LT's slip to us in round 2 we have to scoop him up.

5. RG-again I think this can be fixed in FA (Hutchinson hopefully), but it is still a need and a position that can be filled with a second or third round pick.

6. S- Hopefully we can re-sign Shulters which would take some pressure off, but we still could use an upgrade over Tillman/Bell. If we had to go into the season with that trio it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world but ideally an upgrade would improve our team. I mentioned Huff as a possibility at CB or safety and he is someone who I feel Saban would be very high on. Another guy I am high on is Pat Watkins. He flat out makes plays from the safety spot. It seems like he has that Zach Thomas charicteristic of always being around the ball.

7. WR- I would like to see us bring in Reggie Wayne, but I have a feeling he will cost alot of money. Hopefully Booker will take a pay cut and stay with the team but I wouldn't count on it. We could use depth here.

8. DT- I know everyone thinks we need to make this a high priority, but servicable DT's can be found in FA. Traylor did a great job for us and won't cost much to bring back. He is getting old, but still gets the job done. Holliday is not really a NT, but we don't really play a true 3-4 anyways. Wright and Vickerson both have some upside, but another project NT would be a welcomed addition later in the draft.

Back
Top Bottom