Draft & Scheme Versatility | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft & Scheme Versatility

DolphinVJ

Active Roster
Reaction score
I have seen some of our picks deemed a reach by some fans and so-called Media experts. I think what we forget is that different teams stack a draft board differently depending on their scheme and what they look for in a player so the grading is different especially for teams like New England and Miami. For example, Flores looks for guys who are self-motivated, smart, tough and compete. In the New England way, his preference for the type of defensive players is unlike other team in that he looks for scheme versatility. So he would take a "lesser" player if the player fits his scheme and mental make-up better than a player almost everyone else thinks is superior. Raekwon Davis is a good example as there are a couple other DTs in the Draft that are better pass rushers than him but they don't come close to doing the things that Davis does. I have quoted the following from articles by Travis Wingfield - miamidolphins.com - on three of our defensive players drafted and they all seem to do multiple things to fit Flore's vision. When you do one thing well, you become predictable. May be that is why New England usually does not have a double digit sack guy other than Chandler Jones a few years ago. They like to attack with variety with multiple players averaging around 5-7 sacks a season. Their DTs are not asked to get high number of sacks either although last year, Adam Butler, who was signed as an undrafted FA had 6 sacks.

Brandon Jones DB –

With blocked punts and return touchdowns on his resume, Jones played all over Texas' special teams units, but he also played everywhere on the defense. Per Pro Football Focus, Jones played 285 snaps last year at free safety and 154 in the box. His most frequent position was in the slot with 371 snaps. In total, over a three-year career, Jones played 2,333 snaps for the Longhorns with 1,285 of those plays coming in pass coverage.

Raekwon Davis DL –

Davis is 6-foot-7 and weighs 310 pounds. He arrived in Alabama as a versatile shop-wrecker that can play any position across the defensive line, from the nose tackle all the way to end.
It's not just the position versatility that Davis brings, it's his scheme flexibility that makes him incredibly attractive to a defense that prides itself on multiplicity. He lined up all over the formation for the Crimson Tide defense. According to Pro Football Focus, Davis played 391 snaps as a B gap defender, 122 over the nose, 63 outside the tackle and 59 in the A gap.
Sacks don't tell the whole story for a pass rusher, and Davis was perpetually in the backfield and in the face of the quarterback. He registered 66 hurries over three years and made 75 run stops (tackles within two yards of the line of scrimmage). He's a pocket collapser and run-game penetrator, using his length and power to reset the point of attack. His PFF run grade was 87.9 last year after an elite mark of 90.4 in the 2018 season.

Noah Igbinoghene CB –

The fluidity of Igbinoghene's game is apparent on the tape. He's a smooth operator whether working out of a back pedal, playing in zone turns or matching up man-on-man. He's thickly built to properly play his physical brand of football and shows patience with his technique. Per Pro Football Focus, Igbinoghene played the second-most press coverage reps in 2019 of any cornerback in college football. Also, good in run support.

So the player rankings/evaluations in mainstream Media does not really apply to every team especially teams like New England and Miami because of the uniqueness of their systems/schemes and the player make-up they look for.

Excellent post. Strong points made. Rest of the league think we blew it again. Fine by me...

I have seen some of our picks deemed a reach by some fans and so-called Media experts. I think what we forget is that different teams stack a draft board differently depending on their scheme and what they look for in a player so the grading is different especially for teams like New England and Miami. For example, Flores looks for guys who are self-motivated, smart, tough and compete. In the New England way, his preference for the type of defensive players is unlike other team in that he looks for scheme versatility. So he would take a "lesser" player if the player fits his scheme and mental make-up better than a player almost everyone else thinks is superior. Raekwon Davis is a good example as there are a couple other DTs in the Draft that are better pass rushers than him but they don't come close to doing the things that Davis does. I have quoted the following from articles by Travis Wingfield - miamidolphins.com - on three of our defensive players drafted and they all seem to do multiple things to fit Flore's vision. When you do one thing well, you become predictable. May be that is why New England usually does not have a double digit sack guy other than Chandler Jones a few years ago. They like to attack with variety with multiple players averaging around 5-7 sacks a season. Their DTs are not asked to get high number of sacks either although last year, Adam Butler, who was signed as an undrafted FA had 6 sacks.

Brandon Jones DB –

With blocked punts and return touchdowns on his resume, Jones played all over Texas' special teams units, but he also played everywhere on the defense. Per Pro Football Focus, Jones played 285 snaps last year at free safety and 154 in the box. His most frequent position was in the slot with 371 snaps. In total, over a three-year career, Jones played 2,333 snaps for the Longhorns with 1,285 of those plays coming in pass coverage.

Raekwon Davis DL –

Davis is 6-foot-7 and weighs 310 pounds. He arrived in Alabama as a versatile shop-wrecker that can play any position across the defensive line, from the nose tackle all the way to end.
It's not just the position versatility that Davis brings, it's his scheme flexibility that makes him incredibly attractive to a defense that prides itself on multiplicity. He lined up all over the formation for the Crimson Tide defense. According to Pro Football Focus, Davis played 391 snaps as a B gap defender, 122 over the nose, 63 outside the tackle and 59 in the A gap.
Sacks don't tell the whole story for a pass rusher, and Davis was perpetually in the backfield and in the face of the quarterback. He registered 66 hurries over three years and made 75 run stops (tackles within two yards of the line of scrimmage). He's a pocket collapser and run-game penetrator, using his length and power to reset the point of attack. His PFF run grade was 87.9 last year after an elite mark of 90.4 in the 2018 season.

Noah Igbinoghene CB –

The fluidity of Igbinoghene's game is apparent on the tape. He's a smooth operator whether working out of a back pedal, playing in zone turns or matching up man-on-man. He's thickly built to properly play his physical brand of football and shows patience with his technique. Per Pro Football Focus, Igbinoghene played the second-most press coverage reps in 2019 of any cornerback in college football. Also, good in run support.

So the player rankings/evaluations in mainstream Media does not really apply to every team especially teams like New England and Miami because of the uniqueness of their systems/schemes and the player make-up they look for.
Great post, scheme is overlooked by many, and certainly has an effect on how teams lay their board out. This is the most important thing to consider when saying player X was reach etc.
I believe @j-off-her-doll ranks players in this manner, based on our teams scheme/fit.

Scheme will always take precedent with this F/O. They want guys who offer, flexibility, smarts and can tackle or hold the POA. Each of these players offers the versatility Flores seeks. Can't beat that. Another thing, this coach takes pride in his development skills. If they reach their potential under Flores' tutelage, it's a huge win for Miami.

Makes sense. Time will tell. We have always envied New England's ability to "plug and play" all the positions. Then again, they have had Brady all these years which can cover up a lot of weaknesses.

I heard analysts say Igbinoghene allowed 33% completion when in press coverage good for 6th in the nation. That he played the 2nd most press coverage reps and allowing only 1 of 3 passes to be completed is impressive. And that is while still learning how to play the position after being converted from WR. And he did that while in the SEC. Overall, he allowed 35 of 68 (51%), 431 yards (6.3 YPA).

If I'm not mistaken the Dolphins were one of the top 5 teams playing press coverage last year. After signing Jones and drafting Ig, it wouldn't be surprising to seem them play the most this year.

Last edited:
Igbo needs to play witb more instincts which in turn will help him play with more click and close. He sees it in front of him at times he’s just hesitant to go to it. Let’s tbe ball come to him vs attacking it and limiting the gain. Go meet the ball don’t wait for the ball to meet you.

He flashes it just not with consistency. It just speaks to his newness as a db.

also needs development in locating the football late on vertical coverage but that just may take time.

I like the pick but you are definitely betting on some development in time.

this kid can reach things outside the frame work of his body. Contorts well.

put together well

Makes sense. Time will tell. We have always envied New England's ability to "plug and play" all the positions. Then again, they have had Brady all these years which can cover up a lot of weaknesses.

The Patriots have had system players that can play multiple positions and are interchangeable. Brady has been their one steady franchise player.
The Dolphins are trying to do the same thing. They just drafted their franchise player (hopefully) in Tua and all the rest of the their players appear to be smart, tough, coachable, and can play multiple positions. The Dolphins are more interested in drafting players that fit their system rather than players that fans and experts think are the right players for this team. We shall see how it all turns out.

On the defensive side it all makes sense. And that's to be expected with Flores and where he came from. Hes collected a good mix of players and I hope this secondary will allow him to have a bit of fun. If this team can get an in form Howard, Igbo, and Jones all on the field at once it gives a coordinator that ability to do what the Pats have always love to do.....target and take out an opponents primary weapon. They still do have to show that this front 7 is capable of stopping the run though.

Its the other side of the ball that's a big unknown. A good part of it is the newness of everything from the QB and coaching staff on down. Gailey has done everything from power football to spread RPO. The most known commodity on this offense is Parker, and hes known mostly for his inconsistency.

This is well stated and I appreciate the effort you put into this.

I think it is known that versatility and team first has been the mentality since Coach Flores has come in. A big thing especially for DBs is tackling, Noah is a physical guy who mixes it up tackling and BJ might have been the best tackling DB in the draft. So much like you said the type of guy desires by this FO is very clear.

The system is 11 guys who play as one unit rather than 3 super studs surrounded by role players. Which I prefer because it gives you much greater depth and flexibility. Much easier to go with a malleable game plan ala the Pats with this philosophy. The staff doesn’t want a “style” or a base package. They want to be able to scheme away what you do well and limit your offense any given week. And for that you need guys who can move around and not have any effect on how impactful they are.

I think Davis and Strowbridge are big wild cards here I think with the talent along the line of Christian Wilkins, Emmanuel Ogbah, Shaq Lawson and role players like Zack Siler and Godchaux, they might be able to just have a perfect roles given the downs and being put in a position for success unlike the last couple of years in college for each.

Davis could wreck shop in the run game and be a real pass rush force on later downs given how strong and good the defensive tackles who are lining up beside him will be. And Strowbridge could be a great chess piece for early down edge setting and later down push from the inside.

Just thinking about the pieces that they have both in the secondary and along the defensive line gives you a lot of excitement about the scheming possibility.

Hopefully Van Noy can bring some experience and knowledge to the young line backing group and get them up their potential. Because to be perfectly honest I see Curtis Weaver as a Kyle Van Noy clone, maybe the first year plus he’s a situational pass rusher with some reps as a standup linebacker but I think he has a really good mentor in Van Noy.

That's the difference with this staff than the others in years past, they are looking for players and prospects that fit their scheme and are versatile, like the Patriots have done for years. We are no longer drafting Dion Jordan and Charles Harris just because; we are finding guys who actually fit on our defense and our offense.

Back
Top Bottom