Draft: So what would YOU have done? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft: So what would YOU have done?

In the case of "if Vernon was gone", I would have gone with Michael Jenkins at that pick.

#20 - WR Michael Jenkins
#87 - CB Will Poole
#119 - OT Stacy Andrews
#186 - FS Etric Pruitt
#221 - OG Tony Pape
#222 - LB Derrick Pope

Honestly if we didn't trade up to get Carey, my preference would have been to get Kenechi Udeze. Wilfork wouldn't play as a rookie. If we're going to get someone that won't make a rookie impact on D, I would rather it be Udeze who would play for us for 4 or 5 years at cheap levels before we gotta pay him, meantime we don't have this mess with Ogunleye because he plays out his one year tender, then moves on...and we have no dropoff in passrush. In fact its my believe that Udeze would be better than Ogun ever was.

Meanwhile we're not really sure that this is TimBo's last year. Plus we've got Zgonina. And I'm not sold that Wilfork is the DT everyone seems to think he is. Udeze would give us the financial flexibility for the future to maintain excellence on defense WHILE working on other positions.

Wilfork would have just taken up the spot that TimBo departs...and last I checked TimBo wasn't workin on a 5 to 7 year contract with a 16 million signing bonus like Ogun wants.

So if we stayed at #20, I would have taken Udeze. Then I would have probably taken Nat Dorsey, who I like better than Stacey Andrews because he has experience AND the tools, where Andrews just has the tools. I would have looked something like...

#20 Kenechi Udeze
#102 Nat Dorsey
#119 Chad Lavalais
#160 Nick Leckey
#186 Darrell McClover
#219 Tony Pape
#221 Derrick Pope
#222 Tommy Kelly

You can't do this sort of thing at all since as has been pointed out we wouldn't already know who was going to be there.

Noone in there right mind thought Poole would be there, Pape would be there, and a host of other players that slipped like they did. I doubt very seriously they would have taken Carey if they'd have known Butler and Dorsey would have been available when they were. Sure they had Carey rated higher, but did they have him rated that much higher? I would doubt it.

Matt Ware should have been the selection because he has more of a chance to be a S in the scheme we run, bu Poole probably has more talent so I'm happy with that.

I'm not real high on Stacey Andrews so I'm not sad we didn't select him.

I don't like Hadnot for that 40 and 10 yard time.

The simple fact we know who would have been there obviously changes the way our draft would have went. I still for the life of me can't believe we traded up to grab a guy when we had at least 4 players on the board whom we were said to be extremely high on. Where we that much higher on Carey?

ck,

I think that if healthy, Udeze may have been better value than Wilfork. My hesitance to take him all centers around the drop in value based on the injury. I like the pick a lot otherwise...

Vikings was going to choose Udeze no matter what. HAd Miami not traded up with Vikings, and stayed at #20 and Vikings did not trade the #19 pick, Vikings have been on record in saying they conveyed UDeze when they saw him fall to them.

Minnesota traded one spot down because they knew Miami wanted Carey. Miami was not a threat to take away Udeze. Vikings felt safe trading one spot down to land their guy regardless. That is the reason why Minnesota did not trade down with Patriots in my opinion.

Exactly the same way the Lions traded one spot down to land Roy Williams while Browns traded one spot up to get Winslow.

Wilfork is a 2 gap DT. Perfect fit for Miami. Exactly like Larry Chester but with more explosion to get to QB.

Back
Top Bottom