Draft Thought | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft Thought

HollowBeast

Active Roster
Reaction score
I think we need to build the defense with A player like Vita Vea , our D got pushed around last year as the other teams schemed around Suh and the wide nine, I think we need a anchor inside ( I would have loved to see Suh at nose tackle last year ). we also need the rotational depth,
Just Imagine if our defense had made two more stops each game last year , The Offense stats would surely have been better , maybe it would mean a few more wins ?
I think there is talent behind the D line , But need them to be able to control the we game upfront!

This upcoming season just look at the Jags with Fournette and that O,line and what they did, or the same in KC, even Titian’s big O lines and running backs that can pound a defense.

We will go nowhere unless we can stop that type of team .

The Jags looked pretty dang good beating Pittsburgh and bulldozing thru the Pats taking them to the limit in the playoffs .

The AFC. Title game may well be in Florida next year , but sadly I don’t see us hosting it in Miami.

My thoughts are maybe confirmed by the Patriots trading for Danny Shelton , a clone of maybe Vita Vea, my guess Is the patriots know they have to build there run D after the Jags pummeled them on the ground in the AFC championship game . Bellicheck stood on the sidelines helpless as his D caved.

I think Jordan Phillips is in a make or break year he has to step up big !Godchaux & Vincent Taylor give us great depth as well as starting rotational players . we have a number of Good D Ends to rotate

Just my own thoughts looking for some discussion on you thoughts or better ideas.

I'm not entirely sure about this, but I'm of the opinion that the Fins are going to be doing a lot of DT rotation, as well as safety/LB rotation, which has been hinted at. Is Vea a heck of a run stuffer? Yes. But I don't think he fits schematically with what the Fins want to do. Kicking ends inside, rotating safeties into rover hybrids, being able to combat wide-open offenses with players who can jam slot receivers, while still playing the run well - that *seems* like what Gase/Burke want to do.

Rotating Jones and McDonald as rovers and having a deep safety who can play center field is paramount for that sort of scheme - which is why I really hope they get Fitzpatrick or James.

Conversely, drafting Smith for WLB, McMillan at MLB, and running Kiko/Anthony at SAM works too...but I think it gives them a little less versatility.

I could stomach Vea/Payne/Hurst/Bryan in trade down scenario’s only.

I think Miami realizes cutting Suh, makes the defense very vurneable to the run. Suh commanded double teams and at times triple teamed to negate his abilities. While cutting his enormous cap hit opened the Dolphins up cap wise moving forward, his loss will be felt on the field. There isnt a player along the defensive lne who’ll demand a double team. I don’t trust Philips, who happens to be in his final year. Does anyone else trust him? So a player like Vea is making more and more sense IMHO. He’ll command a double team, as well as play within the defense and NOT freelance like Suh was rumored to do. Vea is exactly what Miami needs in the middle of it’s defense. He could turn out to be what Solia was for Miami. A solid if unspectacular DT, who you could count on to clog the middle. The 2019 draft is loaded with 1st round defensive linemen and if Vea was part if that group he’d still be picked in the top 15 or so. But for 2018 Vea rises to the top of the list. If he eventually gets selected by Miami, I’m not going to complain.

I think Miami realizes cutting Suh, makes the defense very vurneable to the run. Suh commanded double teams and at times triple teamed to negate his abilities. While cutting his enormous cap hit opened the Dolphins up cap wise moving forward, his loss will be felt on the field. There isnt a player along the defensive lne who’ll demand a double team. I don’t trust Philips, who happens to be in his final year. Does anyone else trust him? So a player like Vea is making more and more sense IMHO. He’ll command a double team, as well as play within the defense and NOT freelance like Suh was rumored to do. Vea is exactly what Miami needs in the middle of it’s defense. He could turn out to be what Solia was for Miami. A solid if unspectacular DT, who you could count on to clog the middle.

Oh I trust Phillips in a contract year. That dude is money motivated. Follow him on IG or Snap Chat. Phillips will be donimant this season. I still don’t trust signing him long term though. I think once he gets paid the effort will go back to sporadic.

Oh I trust Phillips in a contract year. That dude is money motivated. Follow him on IG or Snap Chat. Phillips will be donimant this season. I still don’t trust signing him long term though. I think once he gets paid the effort will go back to sporadic.
You took the words right out of my mouth. Its a contract year for Philips, he’ll be motivated. But like you said, not trusting him long term is the big question. But the question is will Miami?

I think Miami realizes cutting Suh, makes the defense very vurneable to the run. Suh commanded double teams and at times triple teamed to negate his abilities. While cutting his enormous cap hit opened the Dolphins up cap wise moving forward, his loss will be felt on the field. There isnt a player along the defensive lne who’ll demand a double team. I don’t trust Philips, who happens to be in his final year. Does anyone else trust him? So a player like Vea is making more and more sense IMHO. He’ll command a double team, as well as play within the defense and NOT freelance like Suh was rumored to do. Vea is exactly what Miami needs in the middle of it’s defense. He could turn out to be what Solia was for Miami. A solid if unspectacular DT, who you could count on to clog the middle. The 2019 draft is loaded with 1st round defensive linemen and if Vea was part if that group he’d still be picked in the top 15 or so. But for 2018 Vea rises to the top of the list. If he eventually gets selected by Miami, I’m not going to complain.

Great thoughts , on Suh I agree he is a beast , and yes double teamed and triple teamed , and when that happened to him , the rest of our D line Really didn’t excel in there one on one matchups
I think that even Speaks more about how much we need D line help.

In 2006 draft Vince Young, Matt Linert, And Jay Cutler are drafted before Haloti Ngata gets picked at pick 12
Haloti just won a Super Bowl with Philly , He was a rare talent out of Oregon back then, There are reports of Vita Vea as a better prospect then Haloti. Time always tells the tale , Does anyone remember the hype off the Quartebcks that year I mentioned ?

I agree with the OP about a need for DT but I don't consider Vea a Danny Shelton Clone. Vea is more athletic, stronger, faster & two inches taller.

Shelton 6'2 339 (combine weight) and ran a 5.64. Vea ran a 5.1 at 6'4 347. Vea also put up 41 reps compared to Shelton's 34.

Daniel Jeremiah says Vea is a more athletic version of Haloti Ngata.

...as far as Jordan Phillips, I don't know that he is capable of being MORE effective with increased snaps. He was behind Godchaux by 100 snaps last year and still disappeared too often.

But if they are truly trying to rotate 4 guys, I don't know that a DT is the best value at 11. That's IF you buy them being capable wit our 3 guys and a mid round pick. I see trouble there.

I think the FO is hot and heavy after a FS as they transition McD to LB. Joe Vitt is pushing for Vaccaro as he sees him as a coverage safety but he is their backup plan in case they don't get Fitz or Derwin in round 1.

I could see them going FS, TE and then DT if this is their thinking (about McD at LB).

About a year ago Armando reported Miami’s interest in both Barnett and Harris. With Harris eventually chosen by the Dolphins. Last week Armando wrote that Miami was likely to select from Smith, Edmonds and Vea. Those were the players Miami expects to potentially be available at #11. He also stated that Miami would select Derwin James if he were to somehow fall to Miami's selection. But I've also read that Rosen is expected to fall in the draft, potentially being available at 11? Could this throw a monkey wrench in Miami's draft plans? But as for Vea he's definitely on Miami's radar if he's there.

It does make sense. I would definitely call Miami's defensive tackles a weakness right now. Bryan is an entirely different player, but I could see that as well.

Back
Top Bottom