Draft Trade Idea | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft Trade Idea

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
Every year my brother and I have this debate about who our teams should take if we had the #1 overall pick. As a Vikings fan I fully expected him to say Cam Newton or Blaine Gabbert seeing as how their needs are at the quarterback position. Instead, he mentioned the guy I have at the top of my list A.J. Green. That got me thinking. Since the top quarterbacks are mostly in the boom or bust category, why not look at taking a top talent like Green and adding a second-tier quarterback? I have seen a few mocks with Green going #10 to Washington. I sincerely doubt he drops out of the top 5, but if that scenario took place Dallas could be a trading partner at #9. To take it one step further how about Denver at #2. The Dolphins could trade up for Green and get Kyle Orton as well. I know Orton isn't in the elite category, but man would he have a lot of talent to work with. Miami could then draft someone like Christian Ponder, Pat Devlin or Ricky Stanzi to develop. I don't know what it would take to make that trade and the likelihood of it happening are virtually nill, but fun to talk about anyway.

Well, the obvious reason?: Precedent.

Great WR play doesn't propel 2nd-tier QB's to SB's.
I hear you and with most receivers you are probably right. But my point really is that there may not be a franchise quarterback in the top group (Newton, Gabbert, Locker, Mallet) so the second-tier guys may end up outperforming them. So why not trade up for a wide receiver who many believe is the best one to come out in years and then take one of the second-tier guys to develop? In my scenario you'd also get a decent quarterback in Kyle Orton, who would probably put up really good numbers with A.J. Green, Marshall and Bess to throw to. It's just another thought since almost every thread right now is focused on quarterbacks.

The compensation would be ridiculous . . . and you don't give up that kind of compensation unless you are getting your future franchise signal caller.

It would at minimum take, our first and 3rd this year, as well as our first and 2nd next year. Can't give up that much and not get back a better QB than Kyle Orton.

Back
Top Bottom