Draft Value........ | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft Value........

VanDolPhan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
To hell with "draft spot value".

Just give me a guy who will start and be good or get in on a lot of snaps and make the most of them. I don't care where you get him at. All this crap about 'not good value at #20' needs to stop.

Rick just get us the best contributor that you can PERIOD.

I dont think thats what he means. I think he's refering to the "dont draft so-and-so olineman or wr or whoever because he has high value in the late 1st round not at the 20th pick" people

or atleast, thats my take on the whole thing

According to the article I read at the Sun-Sentinel website, it seems Rick is NOT concerned about drafting a guy at #20 who can start right away:

Spielman said the Dolphins could add another offensive lineman after the draft, but one free agent the Dolphins had an interest in, guard/tackle Greg Randall, likely will sign with San Francisco. Coach Dave Wannstedt said jettisoned starters Todd Perry and Tim Ruddy may be re-signed later.

Even if the Dolphins don't add to the line or other positions, Spielman said he considers the team's talent good enough that there are no expectations for the draftees to start now.

"We don't have to say this player is going to be a starter his first year because of the depth and everything we have on this football team and a lot of the veterans we have on this football team," Spielman said.

So, Rick thinks we could get by with the OL guys we have now? I'm not so sure about that, but it isn't MY JOB to know either.

This is interesting to me, since it indicates that Rick could easily pick according to talent at #20, without being worried about getting anything out of the guy this season. Someone... oh... I dunno... like a QB? :D

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet
Why draft a guy at #20 you can get at #87? :shakeno:

You know what I mean :tongue:

Some of the guys are saying "well we should drop down 10 spots". Frell that. You never know where some of these guys will truly go and you can't buy the media's mock drafts because half the time 1/4th of their guys aren't even drafted in the 1st.

Spielman stated in the press conference that a 1-5 pick is someone that will be penciled in as a starter. Picks after the top 5... the draftee will have to get into practice and beat out the vet. Some people will say it is a reach to pick Smiley at 20. It may be, when you consider every player in every position, but I think Miami has targeted O-Line/WR/DB for their top pick, and after reading the transcript of the press conference I think Spielman may have a tough decision between Smiley/Evans/Woods if Andrews isn't there (and he can't trade down).

Rick knows what he's doing. He's not gonna tip his hand. But for what I read after his conference, I'm thinking that he'll go WR in the 1st round and o-line in the 3rd. Like he said, if a guy that's really good is there we're not gonna pass on him just cos we want o-line help. Translation=if a WR is there and he's better than a lineman then we'll take the WR.

Ozzy rules!!

No, he's not tipping his hand- I think he did a good job of saying alot of nothing about who he will pick. He drove all around the subject- but I'm sure the draft board on his wall is different than the boards on our walls. I don't know what he will do at 20 (if he can't trade down) 'cause in all likelyhood Andrews will not be there- no matter how many draft guru's have him falling to Miami. And even so- there are many questions about his weight (some of which I think are bogus because of his circumstances) Rick also stated that a leopard can't change his spots and specifically mentioned weight gain/loss especially when it comes to getting a contract. There are too many variables at pick 20 to pin the tail on the player. And I agree, in absence of a trade, he will pick BPA and it could likely be a WR because of the depth in that position.

Here's a snippet from the transcript and why I think Rick will have a difficult decision at pick #20:

"I don’t know if we’ve even looked at it like that, because I don’t think you try to say, ‘Okay, you feel a lot better about your receivers than you do your offensive line.’ And then you pass up, let’s say, a Randy Moss because you felt more comfortable with an offensive linemen. We were in a scenario, I remember in Detroit, where we had Herman Moore and Brett Perriman, and the best available player that came up was Johnnie Morton, who ended up being a very good player for us and had a very good NFL career. And we went three wide receivers. I think that was the year with Scott Mitchell when we had two or three guys I think caught over 1,000 yards and set an NFL record that year. So do you pass up a player that’s sitting there that is that high on your board, with that much value because you need a need? That’s the biggest question."

Back
Top Bottom