Draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft

dolfan87

The Human Bullet
Reaction score
ok, all indications are that Ogun is going to get offers from other teams.

IF we get a first round pick for him, I say trade out of one of our firsts (like from 20 back to 23-32) in exchange for a second rounder.

this still leaves us with two first round picks, and now a second round pick to. We could afford to select a DE in the first to replace Ogun, at a much cheaper price, and still have three more first day picks to get QB/WR/OL.

Or this Mark Brunell talk could be happening because Rick Spielman KNOWS who is coming after Ogun, and he KNOWS he has two first round picks this year.

This lets us trade a number one to the Jags, and still have a number one to play with.

Now depending on whose number one we get (could be better than our original) we could still move out of that spot for a second rounder.

Things could be going on behind the scenes that we have no idea about. Just remember this as the off-season unfolds.

If we had 2 #1s and a #2, great. i would not trade a #1 for an aging brunnell, no way at all. This is with the assumption that we will get a Rivers in the draft. use the other 1 and the 2 for OL and wR depending on what FA brings. what I AM afraid of is knowing how the fO works [of late anyway] is that if we do trade a #1 for brunnell, then we will be screwed again for our QB of the future in that there ain't much sense in using another 1 rndr for another QB in the same yr. IMO, a 1 for brunnell would be totally stupid in that he's almost 34 now and not much left in the tank. When you use a 1st rnd pick, it is usually for someone who can give many years of service. Otherwise, it's pretty expensive to spend one for a player with only a couple yrs left. I would rather re-sign Sage and let him start first.

brunell is not worth an number one no matter what, if we had 32 first round picks, then maybe five up one for brunell

If we give a first round pick up for Mark Brunell, I think I'll retch all over myself.

I also seriously doubt we could garner a 2nd round selection from someone just for moving from #20 to like, #25. The most likely scenario for that to happen would be the Patriots trading us their #32 selection for our #20 and giving us one of their 2nd rounders for it...because both their 2nd rounders are late.

Thats assuming the Pats dont try to pawn those 2nd rounders off to a team in an effort to trade up for Larry Fitzgerald, as they are rumored to be trying to do.

I don't know CK. If a team sitting at 25-32 is sitting there, and the guy they REALLY want has fallen to the point where they could get him at 20, they would dump a second.

Of course this all depends on the team, and the GM in charge. They are all different. Ditka dumped his whole draft for R.W.

I also wanted to clarify something. I don't want to give up ANY draft picks for Brunell.

I would rather see us actually aquire MORE picks via trades, or moving in the draft, and use them on young talent.

if what your suggesting is possible I would draft as the following:
1. Philip Rivers
1. Young OL Carey
2. Devery Henderson
3. Chris Lekey
3. DE

What an awesome draft on day one even though it would never happen!

What did we get when we traded down from 20 and later picked John Avery? That's a likely bench mark.

REALLY want has fallen to the point where they could get him at 20, they would dump a second.

No, they wouldn't because there just are not many if any guys that late in the draft that are worth doing something like that. If a team sits at #27 or so and they go into the draft having evaluated all the first round guys and having concentrated hard on a specific group of guys they find likely to fall into their laps, if a guy they had considered higher falls to #20, first off chances are they don't know much about him cuz they didn't think he'd be in their reach, and 2nd they will think there's a reason the NFL is avoiding him.

When you're in the upper reaches of the draft, between like 10 and 15, it would be worth a 2nd rounder to move up like 5 or 7 spaces because there are still cream of the crop talents around there and the guy you want is probably more positionally based. But from 20 to 27, not a big jump in talent. Certainly not big enough to garner a 2nd rounder. Maybe from 20 to 32...that might garner a 2nd rounder...like a late one.

Here's a link to the trade value chart thats come to be used in the NFL ever since Jimmy Johnson first developed it with the Cowboys in like 1990.

http://www.nfldraftview.com/tvchart.html

According to this even my idea of the Pats trading their #32 and #56 to us for our #20 is far fetched. The Dolphins would need to give up like our 4th round pick for that to happen. The Pats would much more likely give us #32 and #64 for our #20.

Do you really want to give up the 20th pick for the #32 and #64?

The Avery trade was our #19 for for #29 and #60. And even that was a bit of a reach for the Packers. According to the chart we gipped the Packers by 60 points.

We could probably squeeze the Pats into giving us the #56 pick along with #32, but the question still remains would you wanna do it.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
The Avery trade was our #19 for for #29 and #60. And even that was a bit of a reach for the Packers. According to the chart we gipped the Packers by 60 points.

We could probably squeeze the Pats into giving us the #56 pick along with #32, but the question still remains would you wanna do it.

That would be great..........it would saddle The Pats with 3- 1st round draft pick salary slots.........although th word is that they will package both picks to move up into the top 6 or 7 to take the best RB available.........So it would probably not work out for us........

The Pats would have picks #20 and #21. How would that be 3 first round salary slots?

BTW they'd have a better chance of using #20 and #21 to get up all the way to the top to get Larry Fitzgerald if thats who they want. I know they plan on parting ways with Antowain Smith, but given Belichick's past use of Smith and other scrap heap type runners, I'm not sure he would use two first rounders to move up and get a RB. But I think he would do that for a special guy like Fitzgerald.

I cringe to think what the Patriots would do again next year if they drafted Larry Fitzgerald, parted ways with Antowain Smith and got like a Corey Dillon or Duce Staley. Damien Woody already said he'd take a lower contract to stay with the Patriots next year he likes them that much (2 Super Bowls in 3 years? Wonder why...) The other free agents of theirs I'm sure would feel similarly.

God ugh...oh man. Add Fitzgerald and Colvin to the mix they had this year? Good lord.

The most likely scenario for that to happen would be the Patriots trading us their #32 selection for our #20 and giving us one of their 2nd rounders for it...because both their 2nd rounders are late.

The Patsies are not doing "bidness" with us. Bank on that! :D

I know they plan on parting ways with Antowain Smith.

Plan hell.........

He's gone. It's official. After attempting to strike a deal over the weekend the Pats don't pick up the option.

They did last offseason, traded us their 3rd round selection for our 2004 2nd round selection. We used it to get Wade Smith. They also traded Drew Bledsoe to the Bills in 2002 for a 1st round selection in 2003. I think its folly to assume the Pats won't come calling in a proposition just cuz we're division rivals.

Back
Top Bottom