Drat Overview: Offensive Line: Getting Dicey | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Drat Overview: Offensive Line: Getting Dicey

Jaj

What you say?
Reaction score
Well the hard part now.

When you look at Miami's OL you may think it needs all new players. I doubt it. The Cowboys and Vikings turned their lines around without doing that.

If you get a good coach you can get good results. That is why Scott Linehan who has made the Minnesota line a premier one, should be considered for the HC job here.

LT- Keep Wade Smith here. Once he bulks up and is worked well through training camp he will be ready. Many of you think because of his lack of weights he is weak against big DE's. WRONG. He is weak against Freeneys, because his upper body strength is lacking, while against Hugh Douglass he can use his strong leg strength to hold him back. He needs to gain 10 pounds of muscle atleast to hold back a Freeney type player, but he is a keeper. My projection Wade Smith.

LG/RG- I believe that with Nails back healthy he can regain form, but should be moved to RG where his pass blocking is less of a problem. Re-sign him and he can open big holes at RG this time for Ricky. Perry was consistant but is old and a bit overpayed. Cut him and maybe re-sign him for depth. Yates showed much potential to play LG during the season. Also consider there is Whitley available. Jerman also played well and could provide depth once again.
My projection is that it will be Yates as LG and Nails at RG in 2004.

C- It's McKinney's time. He played well and will master the line calls in training camp. Ruddy got pushed all over the field and was injured very often. He cannot make running lanes or pass block that well anymore, his old strength. As a backup the Phins may want to draft someone in the sixth to compete with Troy Andrew and push McKinney. Ruddy is gone with his 2.2m base salary in 2004.

RT- Wade should not be kept with what he is asking. Chad Clifton is a very good alternative here. A very good run blocker, and good pass protector he is also only 27. A definite good choice.

Draft Wise- A player like Stephen Peterman from LSU or Chris Baas could fall to the third and at that point should be picked. Both would be able to start day one.

The only concern then is tackle depth.

Spencer Folau - New Orleans
Damion McIntosh - San Diego
Solomon Page - San Diego

Not appealing names but they played solid this season. Also there are other alternatives after June 1st. One of them would provide better depth than what we had this year. Then comes the best thing about Chad Clifton, he can play blinside and move to LT. One of these players can move to RT.

Another route to take is signing Damien Woody and playing him at LG. Damien Woody is an island and never needs help from the center thus it will allow Nails and McKinney to control the right side. In the draft trade down with one of the first rounders and select Tony Pape, immediate Jon Jansen type starter.
Comments.

Next overview. WRs. Then on to defense.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we need to burn a first round pick on an upper tier lineman. If we dont end up trading up or something, I'd be happy with something like the best Guard in the draft or something.

Tait is also someone we should consider at RT?

Yes Tait is, but he is probably more expensive. No guard in this draft seems to be going first round. Chris Baas looks to be going second at this point. Vernon Carey can play all the positions, but he will probably play tackle because of that in the NFL.

Who is Chris Baas? You either mean junior Chris Snee of BC or junior Dave Baas of Michigan. Dave Baas would be a borderline 1, Snee a day 1 pick certainly.

The best offensive lineman in free agency is Jeno James of Carolina. He could come in, for a Larry Chester type price as he's flown in under the radar, and slip straight in at LG. He's a superbly powerful run blocker. In the Panthers most recent game, they ran 35 times. Of those 35, they ran behind James 25 times, either directly or with him pulling. Smith could play either tackle spot depending on what we do. Vernon Carey would be a strong option at T as he can play there, although his overt and admitted laziness will put off some teams. Nat Dorsey is a 4 year starter at T who will likely be a 1st rounder, whilst Travelle Wharton and Jacob Rogers looking like 1st day tackles. Rogers especially is a borderline 1st rounder.

The wild card is Taylor Whitley who is a very strong run blocker, but had trouble in pass protection and in picking up complicated blitz alignments, plus he needed to add some strength to the bulk. He could easily come in and secure a RG spot. Billy Yates looked servicable at times, especially as a run blocker. There were occasions though when he looked like a revolving door. He needs some good off-season coaching on fundamentals but looks like a keeper. Jerman is a back-up. With two moves, this OL could be very nice.

My mistake Boomer I meant Dave Baas. I believe Jeno James is a RFA, that makes it difficult seeing the Phins give up a first rounder for a guard, since I am sure they will put either the highest or the second highest tender on him.

LT in free agency are too expensive

RT are for that matter so I think Wade Smith would be better suited at RT and we draft a LT in the 1st. McKinney plays C and we pick up 2 free agent guards and a swing tackle in free agency.

The key is we need veteran depth in case a rookie LT (like last year) is overwhelmed. Wade Smith is a better fit at RT IMO, leaving LT as the problem area again. We could always move him over there in a pinch if we had too. I like the idea of bringing back Nails at a financially responsible contract.

So opening day 04'

LT - 1st rounder
LG - free agent
C - McKinney
RG - Nails
RT - W.Smith

Sound good?

Why not pick up a veteran T and a rookie G. Much easier and less costly, plus less chance of it failing. Why is Wade better suited at RT? He is an athlethic T, and they play LT. Big guys like Wade play RT, because they don't have enough quickness.

RT- Smith
RG- Nails
C- Woody (NE)
LG- Mckinney (can do shotgun snaps since woody can't)
LT- Tait (KC)

no need to waste a pick on a lineman.

You guys are missing the MAIN thing we need. A very good O-line coach who these guys respect. Why do you think teams like KC have great O-lines? It is a mix of the players and the coaching.

Originally posted by Blueprint_21
RT- Smith
RG- Nails
C- Woody (NE)
LG- Mckinney (can do shotgun snaps since woody can't)
LT- Tait (KC)

no need to waste a pick on a lineman.

Where are we going to get the money to sign Tait AND Woody? That's basically impossible.

Back
Top Bottom