Drew Henson Interview | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Drew Henson Interview

MARLINSFAN305

Practice Squad
Reaction score
From Steelers Message Board:

Nothing too hardball here but I like his attitude. Just a smidge of arrogance. A mark of all great QBs.

'I need to be a quarterback'

Drew Henson will come under the scrutiny of NFL scouts Feb. 12. The rights-holding Texans plan to trade Henson to the team that negotiates the best deal for all involved. Henson told Dan Patrick about his journey back to football, and one Pro Bowl QB he admires and in whose footsteps he would gladly tread. … Hear full Henson interview

Hanging with first family of QBs

Are you working out with Eli Manning?

Yes, every day.

When you see him, and you've been out of the game for a couple of years, is there a big gap between what you used to be able to do and what he's able to do now?

No. I don't think so. After the first three weeks getting back throwing for me, I feel just the same as I did the last game I played. I have been throwing the football and dropping and delivering for so long this break hasn't taken anything out of me.

Midsummer decision to hang up spikes

When did you make the decision to say goodbye to the Yankees?

In my mind, probably midway through the summer. I was either playing third or at home, thinking, "I need to be a quarterback." I miss it. I've grown up doing it. I've been away. There's just so many things I'm not getting out of baseball. It took me playing baseball full-time to realize it.

Boone injury had no effect

Did you rethink your decision after the injury to Aaron Boone affect your decision?

No. I was so far past it. I was three months into football training when that happened. It's too bad for him. But I was long past that.

More suited for football

Describe the baseball experiment.

Learning process. I learned about myself, and how I prepare and my strengths and weaknesses. At lot of that has to do with thinking and analyzing. You can't control as much as you do in football. I think my strengths as a football player held me back as a baseball player.

'I'll have final say over where I want to go'

How many teams will be at the Feb. 12 workout?

I would assume probably 15-20. I think the teams that are solidified at QB won't come in. But those with at least a question will come in and see me work out.

On dealing with the Houston Texans

The advantage for me and the team if we do work out a trade is that I have some control over where I would go.You go back in the draft, it's a crapshoot. Then ultimately you have no say in who drafts you and who you will play for. … If this sign and trade works out, I'll have final say over where I want to go.

Isn't it ironic?

Where would you like to go?

The team that fit in best with with there system and what they believe in and how badly they want me to be their quarterback.
Would going to the Giants be awkward after playing with the Yankees, going to New York as a baseball player and ending up in New York a football player.

Awkward, no. Ironic, very.

Inspired by a former teammate

When's the last time you talked to Tom Brady?

I left a message before the Super Bowl to wish him luck.
When you see him successful, does that empower you to know you can be successful as well in the NFL?

Yes, for sure. You spend that much time with a guy in film room, practice and the game -- you see his work habits. I learned to watch film and to go about things from him. He was a senior when I was a freshman, and he was successful at Michigan and you try to take things from it. You see the way he leads the team, he handles himself on and off the field. I believe I can do the same type of thing.

The truth about Brady

Are you the best quarterback available?

In my mind, yes. And for me, no it's time to go out and show the teams I can throw it and I'm athletic and anything they ask me to do on the field I can do.

Brady talked about you in glowing terms a couple of months ago, before you went public that you were going to give up on baseball. He said in a matter-of-fact way, "He's going to play football next year and he's going to be great because he's an athlete and I'm just a quarterback. He said you will be a guy who will make an impact.

He's a huge baseball fan. He'll lie to you now and tell you that's he's a big Red Sox fan, but he grew up a Yankees fan. He wore a Yankee hat all through college. I talked to him about things that he been going through and the differences in the league I expressed how I was feeling and the things that I missed. I think he was interested to hear things from my perspective. I think he had a pretty good idea the last time we talked (that I was going to the NFL).

The man from Kiln

Who plays the game the way you think you will?

I would like to say Brett Favre only because he can drop back and make every throw from the pocket. He doesn't look to run, but when things break down, he can get out and make plays.

Would you love to be the person who follows Brett Favre?

If that was the case, absolutely. People say it's hard to succeed a legend. The Packers are going to embrace anyone who's playing for them. That's as close there is to a college atmosphere in the NFL.

The Dan Patrick Show is heard weekdays on ESPNRadio from 1-4 p.m. ET

chea. :woot:

Thanks, that was a nice read.

Like I was sayin, if Henson has any amount of control on this thing, and he does have a considerable amount, this interview only beefs up what I've been saying all along that the leading candidate for Henson is the Packers.

Unless the Steelers jump back into the race all the sudden.

Back
Top Bottom