Drew Lock Continues To Climb While Dwayne Haskins Drops | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Drew Lock Continues To Climb While Dwayne Haskins Drops

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
When the Miami Dolphins are on the clock at pick 13 provided they don’t trade up, Drew Lock may not be available if the current trend of his draft status continues to rise.

According to many in league circles and in several new mock drafts, the word is that Missouri’s Drew Lock is seeing his stock rise ahead of the draft while Ohio State quarterback Dwayne Haskins is seeing his stock fall.

https://phinphanatic.com/2019/04/05/drew-lock-continues-climb-haskins-drops/

When the Miami Dolphins are on the clock at pick 13 provided they don’t trade up, Drew Lock may not be available if the current trend of his draft status continues to rise.

According to many in league circles and in several new mock drafts, the word is that Missouri’s Drew Lock is seeing his stock rise ahead of the draft while Ohio State quarterback Dwayne Haskins is seeing his stock fall.

https://phinphanatic.com/2019/04/05/drew-lock-continues-climb-haskins-drops/

Fingers crossed...last year the overvaluation of Allen and Rosen pushed them in the top 10 allow the phins a choice of defenders, I hope the same happens this year.

reading up on Haskins, if you have a poor OL, don't draft Haskins. Supposedly he is a pocket passer only, once he has to run or get crowded up on, he isn't all that good

First throw of the game against Oklahoma St. Lock throws a hospital ball to his RB out of the backfield. He throws a lot of hospital balls.

Everybody else just must be watching a different Drew Lock. I just don’t get it.
I just don't see him as a fit in Miami, especially if the Dolphins are planning to use an offense similar to New England's. That's not to say a good qb coach can't help Lock smooth out his footwork, which seems like his major problem to me. Haskins, Jones and Finley seem like the best fits from the 2019 draft class. From those, Haskins is really the only one who excites me. Jones and Finley might be the types who exceed their talent level in the right situations.

Good I'll take Haskins

I also heard the NFL is much higher on Daniel Jones than we think. So don’t believe anything you read or hear for next few weeks.

Yeah and those guys never win Super Bowls. LOL
Right? Haskins has a lot to get excited about, strong arm, very accurate, intelligent, productive, tough. His escapability does leave a little to be desired and is really his biggest knock. That, and I guess having just one year as a starter. A lot of mocks lately have Haskins slipping to Miami, but that doesn't seem likely.

Right? Haskins has a lot to get excited about, strong arm, very accurate, intelligent, productive, tough. His escapability does leave a little to be desired and is really his biggest knock. That, and I guess having just one year as a starter. A lot of mocks lately have Haskins slipping to Miami, but that doesn't seem likely.

If Haskins were white, mentally and preparation wise, he’d be compared to Peyton Manning. There, I said it. Tua, From, Murray, mentally are not in the same league as Haskins.

Then I hear this idiot narrative of how much talent Haskins had around him. JT Barrett had MORE talent and could not convert a 3rd and 7. So dumb.

I still say Haskins is a Giant and that’s his dream so I hope it happens. But sure if he fell to 13 I’d be happy.

If Haskins were white, mentally and preparation wise, he’d be compared to Peyton Manning. There, I said it. Tua, From, Murray, mentally are not in the same league as Haskins.

Then I hear this idiot narrative of how much talent Haskins had around him. JT Barrett had MORE talent and could not convert a 3rd and 7. So dumb.

I still say Haskins is a Giant and that’s his dream so I hope it happens. But sure if he fell to 13 I’d be happy.
That could be. There are still some silly biases out there. As a football fan, I don't know about all the intangibles, but watching him play you can see he has exciting talent.

I think the NYG really want him and are putting out all the smokescreens they can so they don't have to trade up.

Miami has done a ton of work on all the quarterbacks so that remains a possibility. They've also met with a lot of defensive linemen. I think it will either be a quarterback or a defensive end with the #1 pick.

First throw of the game against Oklahoma St. Lock throws a hospital ball to his RB out of the backfield. He throws a lot of hospital balls.

Everybody else just must be watching a different Drew Lock. I just don’t get it.

FWIW I keep hearing it has to do with off the field stuff. Character, work ethic, etc.

Haskins is a good student with a 3.8 GPA and he’s obviously done a lot of film work to master that offense. But he showed up to the Combine pudgy and slow, then focused on losing weight between the Combine and Pro Day, but didn’t really earn it conditioning-wise, to where at the Pro Day he was winded, hanging his head and putting his hands on his hips between throws less than five minutes into the throwing session. It was bizarre. So when I hear that teams are concerned with his “personality” that has me curious.

I don’t know anything about Drew Lock that way. Maybe he’s really impressive.

So much about the space between the end of the college season and the draft is about teams growing comfortable or uncomfortable with a player being the leader of his team, finding out what drives him, etc.

Yep, you said something, but with nothing to back it up. From what I’ve read, the biggest concern is the fact that he’s a one year starter with limited athleticism and nothing to do with skin color. If what you claim is true than the white guy (Lock) would be getting comparisons to Marino as he had a stellar season last yr and entered this last season as the top QB prospect, but had a relatively down season and his stock dropped.
I would be fine if the Phins FO had a conviction on Haskins and drafted him.
His skin color is irrelevant to me.
Comical that you bring up Peyton Manning. He was touted as a franchise QB for several seasons in college due to stringing together multiple good seasons and he came from a good pedigree. Manning was also more athletic than he was given credit for.

Most people here have seen these QB's play but how many of us have ever talked to any of them? The arm counts and the drills and the tape but when it comes to the QB position the first thing you're looking for is a leader. Can he lead the huddle and the offense? Can he make the players around him better? A DE can go out there and worry about getting to the QB but the QB has a lot more in his plate. Can he rally the team behind him? These are the kind of things that we don't know. That's why the NFL teams talk to his former coaches and even teachers and players they played with and on and on.

There are things that WE just don't know. If Haskins falls to us at 13 it'd mean that several teams that can use a QB passed on him. Would that be a coincidence or are teams being turn off by something? Of course teams can be wrong too. After all, every team in the NFL passed on Brady 5 or 6 times including NE.

Honestly if the FO loves one of them I would be excited to draft either one of them. But I would be happiest if we make a hard pass and either grab a stud on the DL or trade down and pick our QB next year. Having signed Fitz allows us to do just that and I hope we do.

Back
Top Bottom