Drew Olsen | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Drew Olsen

Pocoloco

I'm your huckleberry
Reaction score
what are your feelings on this kid? He doesn't get alot of attention on this board, but he certainly had the college stats (from http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=137200).

UCLA, 6'3" 225 lbs.

Year Cmp Att Yards % TD Int Rating
2004 196 341 2565 57.5 20 13 132.39
2005 242 378 3198 64.0 34 6 161.59

I haven't found much scouting on him, but here's a little bit written at the end of 2005(http://www.thehuddlereport.com/NickelPackage/profiles/DrewOlsen.htm)
The biggest downside from the scouting report is that he may be preadapted to a west coast offense.

Anyway, this guy may be available in the 4th or later (actually I guess we'd have to take him in the 4th, cause he won't least till the 7th). Seems like a quality pick on the second day, especially if we miss out on the Cutler and Croyle rush.

compare to Croyle's stats (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=128154)
compare to Whitehurst's (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=116343)
compare to Jacob's (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=134244)

I think the basic knock on Olson is he isn't very athletic and he doesn't have the arm strength and upside that some other ranked QBs do. He also somewhat underperforms in big games, but I think that is entirely overblown. If Miami misses out on Cutler, Croyle, and Jacobs then he certainly should be the next target.

I wouldnt be surprised if we picked up a 5th through trade and drafted Olsen. He is projected as a 6 or 7 guy, although previously he was estimated to be undrafted. I wasnt impressed in the UCLA games I saw this year, but very impressed at the QB challenge with his arm strength.

daniel3 said:
I think the basic knock on Olson is he isn't very athletic and he doesn't have the arm strength and upside that some other ranked QBs do. He also somewhat underperforms in big games, but I think that is entirely overblown. If Miami misses out on Cutler, Croyle, and Jacobs then he certainly should be the next target.

I agree, while I dont know if its overblown, I think its meaningless in the big scheme of things. I also think its one of those "labels" that you cant really break down and define what it means at the pro level. If he is rated out at the combine to show NFL skills, then what he has done in "big college games" should be minimized by scouts, GM's and HC's come draft day. It will simply be a "undefinable" issue, that most will simply say the talent he had, couldnt work together as a team to help his NFL talent beat better college talent against him.

If he doesnt rate out high on the NFL skils side, they will paste that label all over him and defend it by saying "big college games" means the better college talent dominated him, and if he couldnt beat the better college talent, and he doesnt show NFL skills than 1+1=2 and he wont cut it in the NFL.

Dolfan_Noles said:
I wouldnt be surprised if we picked up a 5th through trade and drafted Olsen. He is projected as a 6 or 7 guy, although previously he was estimated to be undrafted. I wasnt impressed in the UCLA games I saw this year, but very impressed at the QB challenge with his arm strength.

I wasn't able to see the QB challenge, but I understand he did really well there

For someone who's that big his arm strength isn't that great, & that's a major part of what kills him. He's vastly underrated right now but as long as he can throw the out at the combine & is accurate his stock should rise. The people that pick the Senior Bowl participants messed up by taking Shockley & Robinson over Olsen & Pinegar/Gradkowski/McNeal.

I wouldn't mind getting Olson in the later rounds if the big three (leinart, cutler, young) are taken before our spot. It'd be nice to have a fellow UCLA guy on my favorite NFL team but it'd be better if it were Spencer Havner.

SMadison29 said:
The people that pick the Senior Bowl participants messed up by taking Shockley & Robinson over Olsen & Pinegar/Gradkowski/McNeal.

Couldn't agree more.

Grabowski/Olsen = late 4th-7th rounders

in other words second day.

I know some people here don't like him but on day 2 the guy I'd take is Josh Betts.....he's big enough and he's got the arm.....he needs to make better decisions but I think he's gonna be a nice surprise for the team that drafts him....if we miss out on Cutler,Croyle and Whitehurst, then I'd like for us to draft Betts.

Ozzy rules!!

I know some people here don't like him but on day 2 the guy I'd take is Josh Betts.....he's big enough and he's got the arm.....he needs to make better decisions but I think he's gonna be a nice surprise for the team that drafts him....if we miss out on Cutler,Croyle and Whitehurst, then I'd like for us to draft Betts.

Ozzy rules!!

Iv been talking him up, he impressed the Dolphins. Iv watched him play. Hes got a great arm. Yes he isn't the most athletic, but if you remeber ( IN NO WAY COMPARING HIM TO HIM AT ALL, JUST A COMENT) but Dan The Man was just a pocket passer. Drop back and pass, or hand off the ball. We could deff groom him. For a late pick I would be happy.

I'm with Danny on the Josh Betts call.

While Drew Olson vastly improved his game from 2004 to 2005 (he was awful before 2005, stats don't do it justice), that explosion had a lot more to do with Markey, Maurice Drew, and Marcedes Lewis than it did Olson.

The Pac-10 doesn't play defense. Their corner depth doesn't go beyond 2 men deep.

And when the lights get turned on Drew Olson still turns to complete crap. You don't think that matters in the grand scheme of things? Wait until he starts for you and then notice that for some odd reason whenever the team has a chance to take sole possession of the division lead, or has a chance to secure a playoff spot, or has a chance to win a playoff game the team performs poorly.

Of course that assumes that Drew Olson can ever shake his jitters enough to perform well enough in his first couple of games as a starter to warrant that he continues to start.

Do you really want to go through 2 years of p!ss poor QB play while we wait for him to get use to the pressure, just so that he can perennially lose games for you when they matter most?

Back
Top Bottom