Drew Tate in the later rounds.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Drew Tate in the later rounds....

WISfinfan13

Enter at your own risk...
Reaction score
Coming into the season Tate was projected to be a late first round pick...He has a cannon for an arm and is probally the best qb coming out at throwing on the run...I really like the kid and would love to take a chance on him in the 3-5 round i think he can be very good at the next level....His team just wasnt very good this year which would hurt any qb draft status...But i believe once the combine comes around Drew Tate will improve his status once again...but for the fins sake i hope not too much...

I like Drew Tate, he's constantly performed well at Iowa and I can't help but remember his last second TD bomb that beat Saban in his last game at LSU.

tate has never been projected a first rounder. hes 5'11 190 and doesnt have a cannon.

he most likely wont be drafted, and shouldnt be.

drew tate is a pure athlete and thats the kind of guy i want as our qb...i see quite a few people calling for a qb early when a guy like drew tate will be there later on and i believe he can play...

drew tate is a pure athlete and thats the kind of guy i want as our qb...i see quite a few people calling for a qb early when a guy like drew tate will be there later on and i believe he can play...

What do you mean by "pure athlete"? Like Mike Vick?
Marino wasn't a pure athlete, but he sure could throw a football. I would prefer an intelligent guy with an above average arm who is accurate and can read defenses. Mobility is a criteria you use when all else is equal. It is a distant secondary criteria when looking for a QB.

Coming into the season Tate was projected to be a late first round pick...He has a cannon for an arm and is probally the best qb coming out at throwing on the run...I really like the kid and would love to take a chance on him in the 3-5 round i think he can be very good at the next level....His team just wasnt very good this year which would hurt any qb draft status...But i believe once the combine comes around Drew Tate will improve his status once again...but for the fins sake i hope not too much...

I am a huge Hawkeye fan. In Drew Tate's sophomore year, I thought he saved the team. The Hawkeyes were down to their 5th and 6th string rb's. Tate had to pass alot and performed well. I would have expected him to improve during his junior and senior years. I don't think he did. In fact, I felt he became careless with the ball, especially in big games.

Someone's response said he was 5' 11". As long as I have been following him, he's been listed as 6' 0"+. I'm not sure if an inch really matters, but like to see accuracy. He is a firey guy which I like. He has a Brett Favre like style. I don't think he was ever considered a 1st rounder, especially since he has underperformed his last two years.

I would still love to see the Dolphins to pick him up as a third stringer as a sentimental pick.

He's small and has a weak arm. I doubt that he'll be drafted, but he'll get a shot as a FA at least.

die hard Iowa fan here, in a word, NO. He is inconsistent and has horrible composure, poor pocket presence, i could go on and on. Anyone wanting to draft him has not watched much of Hawks football.

Id much rather draft Chris Leak than Drew Tate. Leak is bigger ( 6 foot vs 5'11, 209 lbs vs 197 lbs ) and has overall better mechanics. he throws a nicer touch pass, can throw a nicer ball on the run, and ran a complicated offense under Urban Meyer.. just like Alex Smith.

Id rather pick up Leak in the 4th/5th rounds than Drew Tate in the 6th/7th

I like Drew.although hes inconsistant hes has something about him i like.A 7th rder at best.

if we go qb in the later rounds i would prefer sam holenbach from maryland before tate.

Id much rather draft Chris Leak than Drew Tate. Leak is bigger ( 6 foot vs 5'11, 209 lbs vs 197 lbs ) and has overall better mechanics. he throws a nicer touch pass, can throw a nicer ball on the run, and ran a complicated offense under Urban Meyer.. just like Alex Smith.

Id rather pick up Leak in the 4th/5th rounds than Drew Tate in the 6th/7th

No, Drew Tate is 6' 0". Chris Leak is 5' 11". As far as passing ability and gustiness, I'd rather have Drew Tate. Leak is a better runner. I would not Miami to draft or get Leak via FA. Tate would be a good FA pick up.

No, Drew Tate is 6' 0". Chris Leak is 5' 11". As far as passing ability and gustiness, I'd rather have Drew Tate. Leak is a better runner. I would not Miami to draft or get Leak via FA. Tate would be a good FA pick up.

No, no he's not.

Chris Leak not only has better completion percentages, a better td/int ratio and a higher quarterback rating, but also a bigger frame, and is barely taller than Drew Tate. Websites have Troy Smith listed at 6'1, but I bet you believe that too, dont you.

Chris Leak and Drew Tate are both listed as 6'0, but Leak is bigger. Trust me on this. I'll be sure to save this post and make you eat your words when the combine numbers come out if you want to keep disagreeing with me based on your " information ".

What, again, makes you think Drew Tate is a better passer than Chris Leak?

CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT
207 352 2623 58.8 7.45 64 18 13
232 365 2942 63.6 8.06 66 23 13

Which QB would you rather have throwing you the ball? Leak did all this in a harder conference against harder opponents.

I mean, Leak is AT LEAST the same height ( by same height I meant within .25 inches of each other ) while 15 lbs heavier, he's quicker, has a better arm, better accuracy, and apparently makes better decisions, while learning a much harder playbook and learning it well.

Common sense would only dictate that Leak is the much better choice to pick up in the late rounds. But I guess if you're a diehard Chris Leak hater and want to be different by saying " drew tate " it'd be a good choice. :rolleyes:

You claim to be a "diehard Iowa" fan but then you go on saying he's had a disappointing two years. What kind of Diehard Iowa fan doesn't know that Drew Tate had his best season last year?

Drew tate plays with heart, hes a firey kinda guy, i like that about him. But hes not cut to be a star in the NFL, hes just too small and makes a lot of mistakes

Drew tate plays with heart, hes a firey kinda guy, i like that about him. But hes not cut to be a star in the NFL, hes just too small and makes a lot of mistakes

This I agree with. I really just realized I was arguing with someone over who would be a better person to draft with our 2nd day pick.

I'll go on record to say this. Leak will be selected in the 4th-5th round, while Drew Tate with be a UDFA or 7th round pick. Id honestly be shocked if either made a pro squad with regularity.

Back
Top Bottom