Drug testing... the farce | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Drug testing... the farce

RW gets blamed for Wanny's debacle. Wanny RUINED our illustrious history. RW thank G-d helped expedite the downfall of this doomed coach and team. Thank you RW and you got to be high while you did it too. More power to you.

I know the only thing that matters is if ricky tests positive. But, i am sick of people saying Ricky needs to stop smoking "dope". You guys must remember marijuana is a softer drug than alcohol. It's used by many athletes to help them relax, and relieve pain after a long hard game. I'd say 50% of the dolphins smoke most likely, and they are just like everybody else. Ricky shouldn't of gotten tested positive three times though. He has no excuse for that.

raving said:
RW gets blamed for Wanny's debacle. Wanny RUINED our illustrious history. RW thank G-d helped expedite the downfall of this doomed coach and team. Thank you RW and you got to be high while you did it too. More power to you.

Ya thank you Ricky........thank you for the most embarrasing season the Fins have ever seen - thank you for making it happen quicker! That's dumb.

Just to add to this whole NBA/NFL drug testing thing... there is one point that hasn't been made yet.

NBA players get tested less often, but more importantly, NBA players have prior knowledge of when they will be tested. This is why 60% or more of them are "allegedly" smoking, but no one gets caught. It is also the reason why 60% or more are "allegedly" smoking in the first place... because the league makes it easy. With the NBA's testing policies, smoking weed has been basically labeled acceptable behavior.

The NFL is much more stringent. Player testing is random, including when they will be tested. The standards are much tougher as well, which was mentioned in the original post.

As for Ricky, he could have been a Baseball Player... he was in the Minors during College... and they have (or have had) a much more lax drug policy. He's the dummy that decided to smoke weed while playing in the toughest professional sports league to get away with smoking weed in.

A 15 is a mesurement of THC metabolites in the urine of the sample. I work in a lab and 15 mg/dl is a very low result, we dont even call patients positive till we see 20. Now, with a result that low, a repeat test by flame photometry (expensive test but most reliable against false posititves) showing a 14 would be positive because that test is more sensitive. To let you know, you can score up to 25 from second hand THC smoke the next day! This was actually tested by harvard (i think) a couple of years back. These results just do not jive with a chronic THC smoker. As for those masking agents, come on guys, do you think we went to school for 5 years of science and dont know when a sample has been comprimized. If a sample doesnt have the proper electrolyte balance or a specific gravity too low, we know it was altered or watered down, and will require a repeat test or that is considered positive for pre-employment purposes.

thedayafter said:
Most are angry at RW and his drug use and claim it was the start of the downhill spiral of the 2004 season but if you take a step back a take a wider view of the issue you might change your mind.
  • RW scored a 15 on his sample... a 15 is the lowest score that a player in the NFL can get and still test "positive" it designates "occasional use".
  • The second test on the same sample came back a 14, acceptable by NFL testing standards. But because it confirmed the previous test it was scored as a "positive".
  • RW was appealing the test.
  • It is widely known players in the NBA, even players you are watching now in the play-offs would score 3-4 times that if they were held to the same standard.
  • You could not field a major league baseball team if they had the tests of the NFL, they are a bunch of speed freaks.
  • Forget Hockey.
Point being many want to bury RW for his "occasional" use but have no issue with NBA or MLB players doing 10 times the product.

I am not saying what RW did is right just that many need to add some balance to their thinking and consider giving RW the benefit of the doubt comparatively.

You conveinently neglected to mention Ricky's admitted use of masking agents. I wonder what his results would have been without such use?

As for other sports....who gives a flying f...?
By your line of reasoning, just because other leagues apparently don't care about the integrity of their sport, the NFL should follow suit?
If Ricky was an NBA player then fine...but he was in the NFL and was supposed to play by NFL rules. If he didnt like those rules then he shouldnt play football.

thedayafter said:
Most are angry at RW and his drug use and claim it was the start of the downhill spiral of the 2004 season but if you take a step back a take a wider view of the issue you might change your mind.
  • RW scored a 15 on his sample... a 15 is the lowest score that a player in the NFL can get and still test "positive" it designates "occasional use".
  • The second test on the same sample came back a 14, acceptable by NFL testing standards. But because it confirmed the previous test it was scored as a "positive".
  • RW was appealing the test.
  • It is widely known players in the NBA, even players you are watching now in the play-offs would score 3-4 times that if they were held to the same standard.
  • You could not field a major league baseball team if they had the tests of the NFL, they are a bunch of speed freaks.
  • Forget Hockey.
Point being many want to bury RW for his "occasional" use but have no issue with NBA or MLB players doing 10 times the product.

I am not saying what RW did is right just that many need to add some balance to their thinking and consider giving RW the benefit of the doubt comparatively.

What is wrong with your theory is that RW smoked pot as a misguided means to help with his anxiety disorder more so than "recreational" or "occaisional" use as you suggested. My guess is that he used a masking agent (if something like that exists) to keep his tests in line (that is, if my theory is right)...Either way, how can you or anyone else have sympathy for a guy who has wasted his talent (and money making ability) like he has ?? That makes no sense to me at all. I give a child the benefit of the doubt, not a supposedly "educated" adult...

Ok, for those who didnt read, Masking agents do not work when you are testing at that level!!! They just dont. As a MT (med tech) I do these test on a regular basis and must tell you that we catch most masking agents. Now I mostly do ER patients and pre employment screens, but the fact remains that if we catch most of the masking agents, so do the labs that the NFL uses. I dont care what Ricky said, there is not a masking agent out that a lab can not detect the presence of.

Back
Top Bottom