DT Situation | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

DT Situation

KB21 said:
When Tim does decide to hang them up, I believe he deserves to have his number up in the Ring of Honor. Richmond Webb's number should be up there as well.

Webb and Timbo, what a couple of old warhorses! They remind me of some of the linemen back in the glory days like Kuch, Little, Fernandez, Den Herder etc... good solid smack you in the mouth players. I agree, they deserve some special recognition.

The biggest problem on Defense last season is the alarming decline in run defense. Shades of the late 80's. Ouch Bade!

I think we should sign Traylor (if he'll agree) and just hope for the best with Tim. We need to take some pressure off him by getting him into a healthy rotation rather than relying on him too much.

As things stand I see Jeff Zgonina starting at the strong side DT spot, with Chester starting at weakside NT, and hopefully Traylor and TimBo subbing in for Chester. Ideally, I'd like to see Chester drop the weight back down to where it was before injury last year, and then take the strongside DT spot while Traylor and TimBo alternate at NT, but if TimBo can't finish rehab, we've got a problem.

We can, but given the likelihood that we need to use 2005 salary cap dollars to buy temporary fixes at the defensive tackle and cornerback positions, the question is do we want to use 2005 and future year salary cap dollars to bolster a linebacker position that has a few able bodies...

KB21 said:
When Tim does decide to hang them up, I believe he deserves to have his number up in the Ring of Honor. Richmond Webb's number should be up there as well.
I agree with both of those, and I also feel that John Offerdahl should be as well. No Dolphins' defender ever lifted the overall play of the defense more than Offerdahl.

First I think Traylor would fit okay if healthy - I would hope Saban can use Belicheck for some info on Traylor. It could just be that with Wolfork they didn't need him but he still has gas left in the tank. I agree Timbo is done - you just don't recover from a back injury at that position. The position is too demanding on the back. However Traylor may be listed at 340 but that is like saying Ted Washington and Sam Adams are 340. Maybe with one foot off the scale.

As for Timbo in the ring of honor - no way IMO. Just like Webb he was good and I thought he made a difference BUT the RING OF HONOR - C'MON! For What? The Ringo of honor should be for guys that would be hall of fame caliber and on the all NFL teams. Timbo and Webb?? Good and even for a short period they played great but over their career? Webb was solid but all he was asked to do most of the time is pass block for a guy who had the quickest release in the game. How many sacks did Marino save his lineman because of his vision, stepping up in the pocket or just his quick release. Plus, Webb should have retired 2 or 3 seasons earlier than he did. Same for Timbo. I bleed Aqua and Orange and am very biased with th eteam and their players but not even I can justify that.

What other huge NT/DTs are there besides Traylor out there to sign?
I guess we'll have to see if Vickerson can bulk up or an undrafted rookie can turn into something. Is Oliver Gibson on the market.(just for depth ofcourse and his experience in the 3-4) Man I loved watching big #95 eat up guards and centers. I hated seeing him on the sidelines the last couple of years cuz u know he wants to be out there. Same goes for Big Chester.

Rich22 said:
First I think Traylor would fit okay if healthy - I would hope Saban can use Belicheck for some info on Traylor. It could just be that with Wolfork they didn't need him but he still has gas left in the tank. I agree Timbo is done - you just don't recover from a back injury at that position. The position is too demanding on the back. However Traylor may be listed at 340 but that is like saying Ted Washington and Sam Adams are 340. Maybe with one foot off the scale.

As for Timbo in the ring of honor - no way IMO. Just like Webb he was good and I thought he made a difference BUT the RING OF HONOR - C'MON! For What? The Ringo of honor should be for guys that would be hall of fame caliber and on the all NFL teams. Timbo and Webb?? Good and even for a short period they played great but over their career? Webb was solid but all he was asked to do most of the time is pass block for a guy who had the quickest release in the game. How many sacks did Marino save his lineman because of his vision, stepping up in the pocket or just his quick release. Plus, Webb should have retired 2 or 3 seasons earlier than he did. Same for Timbo. I bleed Aqua and Orange and am very biased with th eteam and their players but not even I can justify that.
Webb and Timbo were multiple time pro bowl players and deserve to be honored. Webb I dont see how you can even deny; he was a big reason why marino never really worried much about his blind side. He was 1 of the best pass protecting LT's of his era. Bowens has been the glue to the D for a number of years. Because he stuffed the run so well inside it forced teams into an east/west running style that played right into our hands. Timbo was the player whos made that happen. He's been 1 of the top run stuffing DT's of this era. Again he deserves to be honored.

Also take note:

2003: top 5 run D
2004: 32nd

Yeah we had other injuries but thats in large part because Timbo was out.

Philter25 said:
Tractor Traylor could prolly play DT..... :lol:

Robert "Tractor" Traylor is 6'8, 300 lbs and plays BASKETBALL

Keith Traylor is 6'4 340 lbs and plays FOOTBALL

Your statement was correct though, at 6'8 300 lbs I bet he did run over Guards and Centers..... playing basketball though. :lol:

hey nick names in sports are used over and over. there's no copyright on nicknames.

With USC's Manuel Wright officially entering the supplemental draft, I'd bid at least a 3rd & possibly a 2nd rounder to get one of the top 3 DTs(& probably #1) from the 07 class. We need youth & size there & at a probable bargain price he'd be well worth it.

SMadison29 said:
With USC's Manuel Wright officially entering the supplemental draft, I'd bid at least a 3rd & possibly a 2nd rounder to get one of the top 3 DTs(& probably #1) from the 07 class. We need youth & size there & at a probable bargain price he'd be well worth it.

i doubt he'll be the number 1 DT with rodrique wright coming out next year too.. but id love to grab him now in the supplimental draft, just not a 1st or 2nd id hope to get him with a 3rd...

arsenal said:
i doubt he'll be the number 1 DT with rodrique wright coming out next year too.. but id love to grab him now in the supplimental draft, just not a 1st or 2nd id hope to get him with a 3rd...

great avatar - :cooldude:

ckparrothead said:
I think we should sign Traylor (if he'll agree) and just hope for the best with Tim. We need to take some pressure off him by getting him into a healthy rotation rather than relying on him too much.

As things stand I see Jeff Zgonina starting at the strong side DT spot, with Chester starting at weakside NT, and hopefully Traylor and TimBo subbing in for Chester. Ideally, I'd like to see Chester drop the weight back down to where it was before injury last year, and then take the strongside DT spot while Traylor and TimBo alternate at NT, but if TimBo can't finish rehab, we've got a problem.

Zgonina starting??? I dont think so. If anything he is first on my cutting block. Saban likes big lineman and Zgonina is a dwarf compared to the other guys on the line, and he should start at DT???

As things stand right now, I agree with Chester as the NT but if Roth has a good camp, I could see Carter and Chester starting at DT with Taylor and Roth on the outside...... and thats IF we dont sign Traylor. IMO Dario Romero is better than Zgonina and has more upside.

Dont get me wrong, Zgonina was a great backup, but with his size and age I dont see him being our starting DT.

Back
Top Bottom