Duper and Clayton's Departure | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Duper and Clayton's Departure

The Bopkin

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
Back in 1992/93, when Duper and Clayton left the team, it was much more difficult than it is now for an out-of-state guy like me to follow the team. Can anyone explain in relative detail the reasons why these two were released? Were they cut or were they FA's and not re-signed? I thought it was odd that Shula let both his starting receivers go at the same time. I always thought it would have been more prudent to release one, than the other a year later. Anyone fill in the blanks for me? Thanks
Bopkin02

I really don't know myself because I was pretty young.

I did hear a rumor though about drug use and how they then went to the Arena league..
I did see a guy named Duper in the Arena league to a few years ago or so.

I don't know though so take this with a grain of salt.

Mark Duper was in Arena League a few years ago. Mark Duper also dabbled in crack and was busted. I went to see him at a Miami arena game, and he was slow and fat. About them being released or whatever. I just don't know, but a lot of players did drugs back then.

Shula was never a Clayton fan. He didn't like his attitude but kept him around because he produced. Both of them did have run ins with drugs if I remember right. They both were also later in their careers when they were released. I'm pretty sure it was a combination of age and off the field problems, in particular with Duper.

Yeah, Clayton has acknowledged that he was a nucklehead a good part of his time in Miami.

If I ever have a dream about Dan Marino, Mark Duper and Mark Clayton playing football again.. nobody wake me up... ok??

The drug thing played a huge part in their Dolphin careers ending. Don Shula was very much anti-drug. Chuck Muncie was going to become a Dolphin (coming from San Diego) and would have potentially solved our running game problems. I can't remember the year-it was like mid 80's. But Muncie tested positive for cocaine at his physical and Don said thanks but no thanks.

Back
Top Bottom