Dustin Keller | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dustin Keller

Charlie Rivers

SUPERBOWL BOUND!!
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
What's the latest on Dustin Keller's condition?

ESPN Dolphins reporter James Walker considers free agent Dustin Keller re-signing with Miami "unlikely."
Keller's gruesome August knee injury resulted in a torn ACL, MCL, PCL as well as a dislocation. He had to watch as Charles Clay broke out for a 69/759/6 line, grabbing the 2014 starting role in the process. Keller, who will turn 30 years old in September, will have to prove his health before getting a deal in free agency. The injury was severe enough that his Week 1 status remains in doubt.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4721/dustin-keller

James Walker calls it unlikely, but I wouldn't be shocked if they brought him back on a one year vet minimum deal and gave him a shot in training camp.

Keller will likely have to get a minimum contract, if he is even back before TC. That injury is much like McGahee's in the 2003 Fiesta Bowl, and he didn't play for almost 18 months after his injury.

I realize it's a business, but if he could somehow get healthy and would be ok being behind Clay, I would love to see him re-sign and come back. From the PR side of things, this would be a savvy move by the Phins in players' eyes. I just think on our current roster, it would come down to Egnew and Keller fighting it out for a spot. I don't know that this regime has finally moved on from Egnew or not. These "potential" guys can really cause roster problems.

I always said I'd be fine with having him back if he was healthy. If there's another alternative such as Jermichael Finley or a guy in the draft, I'd be fine going that direction too.

Maybe they will use Egnew like he was in college instead of trying to make him into something he is not..a blocking TE. He was split out most of his time back in school.

I don't think Egnew is really a 'split-out' receiving TE in the NFL. I don't think he can separate well enough that way (so I don't know why Ireland drafted him, but who knows why Ireland did 90% of what he did). I do think Egnew showed some ability last year to both work as a knuckle in the ground TE and as a fullback. I think he can be really dangerous in plays where the defense really doesn't know if a run or pass is coming, as he can easily beat a DE or most LB's when the element of surprise gives him an extra step.
Clay is our receiving TE. He has the athleticism to separate more often than not even when the D knows it's a passing down. I wish he was taller cuz he's not gonna win the jump ball regularly. That's how you can use Egnew, though. 2nd and goal from the 6 or less when you have true run/pass options.

It's ironic that Egnew's best chance to make it is as a bruising, physical player; TE with a knuckle in the ground or as a blocking fullback. I'd like to see if he can do this.

Maybe they will use Egnew like he was in college instead of trying to make him into something he is not..a blocking TE. He was split out most of his time back in school.

Egnew is used toilet paper after explosive diarrhea.

Dustin is a great guy, unfortunately he had this injury in a year he bet on himself to get a big longterm deal. he was a good player before the injury, I don't think he'll be fully recovered this season but I hope he doesn't have setbacks and has a long career somewhere.

THere is no way Keller is ready for any training camp. If he gets signed by somebody he's going right to the PUP.

With all due respect to Charles Clay, he is raw. His blocking is hit and miss. His pattern running is rudimentary. Athletically he is a freak, but he isn't polished enough to be a "good" TE. If we had Keller on the team and he were healthy, he starts ahead of Clay every time.

That being said, I doubt we re-sign Keller. Our new OC, Bill Lazor, likes big tall TE's who can be dominant red zone threats and serviceable blockers. That's not Keller. Frankly, it's not Clay either. Don't be surprised if we bring in an entirely new TE.

Also, with a new GM, expect a sizable roster turnover, so it seems unlikely Hickey keeps an Ireland FA who didn't play a single down.

Back
Top Bottom