Early Perspective on the Texans Game | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Early Perspective on the Texans Game

infiltrateib

TV Doctor
Reaction score
I posted this on the Texans' board, but I figured it was a good read here too.

Hey guys, all in good fun. I didn't post smack, I posted real commentary, but everyone's so wrapped up in the smack-talking that they wouldn't get down to Xs and Os

I'm not saying the Dolphins win this game. I mean, if we could say that for every game, we wouldn't play them out. What I'm saying is that if I were FORCED to bet on this game, I would go Dolphins. Now, as fans, I know you want to go Texans (just like I would if it were Fins v. 2001 Ravens) but if your house were on the line, where would you put it

If you want to talk gameplay, I think it pretty much comes down to the following factors (see my commentary from before for a more in-depth look).

WHEN THE TEXANS HAVE THE BALL
1. Get your TE (Billy Miller) one-on-one with a LB, or given the likelihood that we will be blitzing (Seau's forte), run some delayed screens. Miller was Carr's favorite target last year, so there is a chance you will exploit the weakness in our D.

2. Protect Carr. He is going to be a great QB, but he certainly is not mobile or experienced enough to sidestep a ferocious JT rush. If JT and Ogun can begin making Carr slide in the pocket or stutter-step, our ball-hawking secondary is going to make some plays. You really, really need to make sure Carr stays on his feet. If we can get him flustered, it is going to be a long game.

3. Establish something on the ground. To be completely honest, RB is not your strong suit. It is going to take some creativity to get anything going here... but you're going to have to try. A shootout is not favorable, since our defense is tighter.

4. Try to exploit any (temporary?) holes in the Miami OL. If Smith starts at LT, we're probably going to need Randy McMichael to give a little assistance. If you can start disrupting things early, Randy's role will be reduced or Donald Lee will see some playing time.

WHEN THE DOLPHINS HAVE THE BALL

1. Stay away from Aaron Glenn. Yes, I know he's getting older, but he is still good. We cannot have any costly turnovers, and he's one of those guys that makes you pay for them. Your safeties are not as intimidating.

2. Get Ricky to take over. If he can get the ground game moving, we will win the field position battle and start to wear down Seth Payne and co.

3. High-percentage passes. We've got to get Jay in the groove early, and the best way to do that is by getting Ricky in his groove early. A few screens that allow him to work the middle of the field and fully accelerate should set the offensive tone. Just have to avoid Jamie Sharper

All in all, will be a better game than people think... just sharing my views.

Derrius vs Glenn last year proved to be a good matchup from Thompson. :)

I see Gonk made an appearence a few days ago.

Back
Top Bottom