Early scouting for a tackle. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Early scouting for a tackle.

ZOD

Ruler of the Universe
Reaction score
With the first cutdown day looming, I am wondering which camp a tackle will fall out of. The Minnesota Vikings have one of the best O-lines in the league and they seem to be stacked on the line in depth. Has anybody checked any other teams rosters or have any knowledge about this one?

Mod,

As you can see, this is Miami Dolphin "shopping". :chuckle:

Minnesota Vikings

Last edited by a moderator:
I was looking at the Seahawks papers this am - their LT depth chart is Walter Jones, Pork Chop Womack, Wayne Hunter, Jerry Wunsch and Michael Thompson. They are surely not going to keep all 5 and whilst Wunsch can play RT and they won't ditch Hunter, you wonder whether a more rehabilitated Thompson might not get cut. Womack can play G as well and with Chris McIntosh being released, he's not likely a goner. Ephrahim Salaam at Denver is 4th on the depth chart and will likely be a goner, especially when George Foster is back to 100%. But don't be surprised at all if the 49ers cut Derrick Deese; Kwame Harris has been awesome in camp and there is planty of talk in the 49ers papers about whether Deese will be a victim. The one caveat is that with Garcia's back a big issue, the team might not want a rookie looking after him. Kinda makes you wish we had even a Cornell Green on the roster now.

Derrick deese would be a coup. someone big would get cut though and it wouldnt be Perry cus he just won the starting job.

also another thing is that big cat williams was mentioned by spielman as a possibility i think. He would come cheap and he has played LT alot even though he is more of a RT. But you see alot of that these days. Wann/spiel know him from chicago.

I won't even think about Deese getting cut because it just sounds way too good to be true. I mean, no chance in hell we get our solid LT in AUGUST, right?? Wet dream for me.

Even if Harris is ready to start, I just can't see them cutting Deese. Do they have any other tackles worth a damn on that roster (besides Gragg)?? With Garcia hurting and them going to a more traditional offense, I'd think they'd keep Deese, since Harris worked at lot on the right side in the offseason.

Salaam had his ankle scoped in January. And he just had his knee done last Friday and is out three weeks. Will Jason Taylor's b*tch be ok??

I think Big Cat is more of a RT. I don't remember seeing him on the left side much. Bearshistory.com says he manned the right side for 134 games from '94-'02. And I heard he was getting slow even for a RT.

When I get some time tonight, I'm going to check out the "suggestions" or "ideas" or whatever. Too busy right now. Just thought I'd check in.

Oh, BTW.

I guess nobody saw anybody worth a damn on the Vikes squad. :lol:

I don't think the first cutdown day is where we get our guy. I think it will be near the final cuts or via a trade.

If Deese is cut I'm not sure we'd even go get him. We wouldn't have much time to get him use to the rest of the OL and OL Coach Tony Wise's blocking schemes.

Deese utilizes an unorthodox technique because he is so short for a LT (he's as tall as Dixon). He pops up toward the line of scrimmage and puts a pop into his down lineman then bounces outside with him. I wonder how this would fit in with Wise.

Overall I would have loved to get hold of Deese a month or two ago, but if he's released as a TC casualty then I think it might be too late to move him right in at LT and then move Dixon back to LG, and Nails compete with Perry at RG. Thats a big shift, late.

When are first cuts? I know they are soon but when?

I dunno but if I'm not mistaken first cuts are the biggest cuts...its usually after the first preseason game I think and we have to cut like 20 guys or somethin

Originally posted by ckparrothead
I dunno but if I'm not mistaken first cuts are the biggest cuts...its usually after the first preseason game I think and we have to cut like 20 guys or somethin

I think we keep the 11 NFLE slots until the last cuts..so it shouldn't be as big.

With Kyle Kosier or Kwame Harris (depending on the depth chart you look at) listed as a back up at both Left and Right Tackle, I don't see the Deese thing happening.

Okay, so the start of this thread was a half azz effort. I have looked up some things and I think this has become a full fledged report. :lol:

First I checked depth charts to see who had the tackles in the league. This is the least plentiful position in the NFL. It seems that most teams just fill roster spots as we have done. There is indeed a lack of quality. Some teams are in camp now with as little as four tackles and the Cowboys have even contemplated (not sure if they did) turning a TE into a tackle.

Anyway, the teams that I found plentiful with tackles in camp are as follows. Seattle, KC, Denver, GB, Carolina, Philly, and Arizona all have 6 or more tackles in camp.

I went further to check on what team out of the plentiful has actually signified that they would like change through the draft. Philly, Carolina, SF, Cin, Denver, Seattle, NO, KC, Indy, Houston, and SD all drafted tackles in the draft.

I took a look at the names and transactions and amount of players available at the position and narrowed the possibilities down to a list that would not be much of a surprise when cut.

I removed KC because I think their latest injury will eliminate a good lineman coming out of there. NO took away their quality overage with the Turley trade. Houston has no depth. Cincy has no depth. SD has no depth. Carolina just had a tackle blow a knee so now they have no depth.

So here is the list that I have remaining. Anything look interesting ? Salary based cuts? Anything?

Denver- Lepsis, Salaam, Foster, Brockermeyer, Baniewicz, Carlisle, Moore, Ellis

Seattle- Jones, Thompson, Hunter, Terry, Hill, Womack, Crawford, Campion, Wunsch

Packers-Clifton, Wisne, Coleman, Tauscher, Barry, Curtin, Spriggs, Brandt

Philly-Thomas, Welbourn, Hicks, Runyan, Mayberry, Bridges

I don't know a damn thing about the following team other than they suck and Emmit Smith is their running back.

Arizona- Shelton, Wells, Davis, Spikes, Clement, Rogers, Davis

Anybody want to talk about this now? :lol:

Back
Top Bottom