EDDIE MOORE - Tale of the tape... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

EDDIE MOORE - Tale of the tape...

EGDolfan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Hey...I am new poster here. I've been over at Curt Fennell's site for years but I have enjoyed reading this board for a long time...thought I would post this. For what it is worth, I have analyzed parts of a half-dozen college game on tape that Eddie Moore has played in. The following is a synopsis of each tape that I reviewed:

Couple notes to begin with:
1) In most cases, I only had a couple quarters per game that I had on tape.
2) I have summarized several points about the game: opponent, number of quarters reviewed, number of positive, moderate, and negative plays, basic notes, and grade of what I saw (may depend on opposition).
3) Positive plays are plays where the player made a difference in the play; moderate plays are where the correct read or play was made but didn't make a difference in the play; and negative plays are where the player makes the wrong choice, is out of position, or lets his opponent make a play.

1999 - against Vanderbilt - part 2nd quarter - did not play

1999 - against Nebraska - part of 2nd and 3rd quarters - did not play

2000 - against Georgia - parts of 3rd and 4th quarters
.......Defense - did not play
.......Special teams plays....Positive: 1....Moderate: 1....Negative: 0
.......Notes: starting LBs for Tennessee were Westmoreland, Stevenson, and Jackson in 2000; played second from end on punt team; almost blocked a punt with good quickness but wasn't really blocked
.......GRADE: incomplete

2000 - against Florida - part of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd quarters
.......Defense - did not play
.......Special teams plays....Positive: 1....Moderate: 5....Negative: 1
.......Notes: was on kickoff and punt coverage teams; overran a couple kickoff coverages, slipping once, but always pursued play until the end because he was first to congratulate tackler; made one nice tackle after fending off blocker on punt coverage; was moved around on kickoff coverage...where the coaches trying to hide where he was from the opponent? (BYRON HARDMON started at middle LB for Florida...was uninspiring)
.......GRADE: B- (overpursuit on special teams is an issue; adjustment and tackle saved an otherwise average grade)

2000 - against Memphis - parts of 2nd and 3rd quarters
.......Defensive pass plays (for injured Stevenson)....Positive: 0....Moderate: 0....Negative: 2
.......Defensive run plays....Positive: 1....Moderate: 0....Negative: 0
.......Special teams plays....Positive: 1....Moderate: 0....Negative: 0
.......Notes: put in defensive lineup when Stevenson was injured; first play he bit on play action; second play he filled inside hole correctly clogging middle on run; third play he had half-hearted blitz but failed to pickup RB out of backfield (result = TD); made nice tackle thru blocker on KO coverage (WADE SMITH played TE for Memphis...very skinny at time...made nice catch...played FB on short yardage running play...OK blocker)
.......GRADE: C (perhaps had jitters coming into game on short notice but didn't play on two of three plays...special teams tackle was terrific though)

2000 - against Kansas St - parts of 2nd and 3rd quarters
....... Defense - did not play
.......Special teams plays....Positive: 0....Moderate: 8....Negative: 1
.......Notes: played on kickoff team (left middle), kick return (right front line), and punt team (left-side contain); had no real outcome on plays but seemed to be in right position if play came his way; missed block on one kick return
.......GRADE: C (seems to be in right position most of the time on special teams but not a "play maker" in this game)

2000 - against Michigan - part of 4th quarter
....... Did not play at all....injured?

2001 - against Florida - parts of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarters
....... Defense pass plays....Positive: 10....Moderate: 34....Negative: 1
....... Defense run plays.....Positive: 2 ....Moderate: 9....Negative: 2
....... Special teams plays.....Positive: 0....Moderate: 1.....Negative: 0
.......Notes: Started as the strong-side LB (left most of game); at this point in the late season, Tennessee was ranked #1 in run defense, #48 in pass defense...going against Rex Grossman and Jabar Gaffney in THE SWAMP as one of the best passing offenses in country; Tennessee defense really mixed things up on defense...especially Moore...who would blitz one play and cover the middle of the field the next (blitz vs pass cover...50-50); was calling the plays for the defense; was quick to react to QB or RB draws or scrambles; key blitzer on some plays...others would open lanes for Moore = GOOD - fast blitzer, good spin moves, put arms up when stuck in traffic, forced wide throw on one play, runs through QB when he hit him...BAD - hesitated on blitz a couple plays, indecisive at times on if he should blitz or cover RB, can get tied up by O-linemen; in pass coverage, covered large part of the middle of the field, relied on speed and instinct, good coverage on TEs, made one terrific hit on catch over middle but may have lowered his head a bit; in run defense, clogged the holes many times, great pursuit from backside, offense ran away from him many times, tried to make plays at or behind the line of scrimmage, BUT was flattened twice by TE blocking him (#84); didn't play much special teams, that I saw, except for on one punt play where he was behind the center/guard as the "QB"
....... GRADE: B+ (very good game against a tough opponent on their field...speed and instincts were exhibitted on defense, but didn't play much special teams)

2002 - against Maryland - whole game
....... Bowl game where he didn't play

In summary:

POSITIVES: early in career, on special teams, always seemed to be around the ball and made a couple plays...speed was exhibitted on both special teams and on defense...has good blitz technique by hiding his intentions, pealing off screens set by other defenders, using spin move when first contacted, getting after the QB or at least getting his hands up if he can't get to the QB...good in pass coverage, was relied on to cover a large part of field with solid quickness and instincts, good hitting ability...good in run defense, clogs holes with aggresiveness, makes contact at or near line of scrimmage, solid pursuit angles...was the leader of the defense as Junior, calling plays...played great in tough situation on road in Florida

NEGATIVES: even though he has great tenacity, he tends to get overwhelmed by offensive lineman and TEs even down field at times...size seems to be an issue at times...he was indecisive at times on blitzes, unsure if he had coverage of RB...tends to overrun plays on special teams, running out of control downfield on coverage...did not start much until Junior year so experience might be issue (but coaches felt good enough to have him QB the defense)...though he hits hard, he needs to keep his head up or face penalties/fines...questionable if he played much special teams in the last two seasons, that is where he will make his first impact with the Dolphins...injuries (missed games) has to be a concern especially for an smaller LB like Moore.

OVERALL: I really liked what I saw of Moore in the Florida game in his junior year...I wish I could have seen more than one game in the past two seasons to see him on defense. Comparing Moore to Greenwood, Moore seems to have better instincts for the football with about the same speed. He has good pass rush moves but needs to be more decisive all the time in the NFL. He will likely play a lot of special teams early on...must play more under control to make a big impact there. I think he has the speed, tenacity, and football experience to play LB in the NFL but his size and inability to get away from Florida's TE has me concerned. After watching him on tape, however, I am more happy we drafted him...but as a second rounder it was still a stretch.

PREDICTION for 2003: Will start for Morlon Greenwood by mid- or late-season if Morlon doesn't produce.

Yah too bad you didn't get any of their games from last year. That would be the best way to tell how far he had come. I feel Moore could make an impact on this team as he will never be accounted for with us having Zach and Jr.

His versatility should help him get on the field more. Plus, if Greenwood continues to struggle playing next to two probowlers, Moore will get playing time much quicker...whoever plays next to Zack and Jr., that player is likely to be picked on more so we should find out what Greenwood really has early on.

Good work man. Don't take this the wrong way its just a real shame you couldn't get hold of any games from 2002 or even more than one game from 2001 because Eddie Moore didn't really become a starter until 2001 when he started the entire season despite a painful shoulder injury. He played all of 2002 as well except for the bowl game.

Its just a real shame that with all the games you managed to get hold of, only one of them shows what Eddie Moore can do as a linebacker and that was a year of starting removed from the finished product that we drafted too.

Ckparrothead, or anyone else that might know, have you seen Eddie Moore play much this past year? Did he play much on special teams? How many and what kind of big plays did he make? Does he still have problems with shedding big blockers...even downfield?

I'd love to hear what other people that have seen Moore play can remember about him...

If it wasn't for the injury concerns he would've been a late 1st, early 2nd rounder. He has great instincts (which you wrote of in the few quarters you viewed), and along with experience will become a pro-bowl LB'er in a few years (he's got great guys to learn from).

You didn't see but a few quarters, but what you wrote was fairly well written.

Crud

Thanks Crud...it's my way of getting through this NFL down period. I've got a bunch of games on tape, like the Tennessee bowl game last year, but he was injured for that game. He probably would have played in an All-star game, which I also tape, if not for the injury.

Did you see him play much Crud?

First, let me say ...WOW! Great work EGDolfan!

Next, I'd like to welcome you to FinHeaven! Glad you made the jump from reader to poster! Hope you continue posting, and am looking forward to reading your future input!
If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, feel free to contact either AJ or myself, or any of our mods or mentors....

Again... welcome aboard....

Go Fins!

Hey Wharfrat...I've got a question. What does that black dot on the "envelope" (post icon) to the left of the thread mean?

Thanks for compliment...

Hey nice to read you EG .... I check out Curts site for info and sometimes I surf the m-b .... But the m-b is starting to get like the DD,, really negative !!:( Marino1983

First...thanks inFINSible for the info (nice picture too!).

Next, Marino1983, yeah there are few questionable Dolfans that post on Curt's board at times, and there are some real lines drawn as to which side of the Fiedler/Wannstedt fence your on. I even left Curt's board for awhile because it was getting pretty bad BUT over the last couple months it has been very good...if you don't respond to the idiots. As with this board and Dolfantalk, there are some real insightful posters that are regulars, and even if you don't agree with them it makes for some great discussion and entertainment.

hey, welcome aboard.

also, nice work. shows a lot more ambition than i have at present! keep up the good work for those of us less inclined to do so but are interested in the info anyway...look forward to many more posts from you.

all that work ..

and i could have told you he sucked and was picked too high if you just asked me...

:jk:

we're gonna find out soon enough how good he really is. At the least, he's gonna provide some needed depth and the best would be for him to start this season at some point!

Back
Top Bottom