Edgerrin James | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Edgerrin James

CA Dolfan

Dolphin fan since '72
Club Member
Reaction score
I was watching ESPN Radio and they were commenting on the Dolphins situation with Ricky Williams. They mentions that Edgerrin James wants out of Indianapolis and would want to come to Miami. Any truth to this.

he wanted to play for Miami a couple of years ago, but the asking price and salary were just too high. Cory Dillon was in the same boat as well and then we went for Ricky...

CA Dolfan said:
I was watching ESPN Radio and they were commenting on the Dolphins situation with Ricky Williams. They mentions that Edgerrin James wants out of Indianapolis and would want to come to Miami. Any truth to this.

Yes its true, James has always been unhappy living in Indianapolis and would love to come back to South Beach. However, it is highly unlikely that anything would happen this season. He will be a free agent next year and it will be tough for the Colts to sign him and Harrison after the big pay day Peyton received, so he could be a possibility then. If that is the case, the Colts could possibly work a trade with Miami this year to get a draft pick and/or player rather than receive nothing in return if James leaves next year via FA.

Personally, I'd rather look elsewhere, but it will be interesting to see what Spielman and the front office attempt to do in order to recover from this devastating news.

All we have to do is hold the fort for a year. We are fortunate in that Edgerrin James is almost completely on board with the idea of signing with Miami next offseason, if not getting down here sooner. He really misses Florida, he grew up down here in Immokalee out by where I grew up, and I use to know some people who were really good friends of his. They've always said he misses FL and comes down whenever he gets the chance.

If he's completely on board then he's as good as ours in 2005...because the Colts will not franchise him (I don't think). If they don't franchise him, I doubt he'll even begin negotiations with them. But they also will not give him up prior to the 2004 season, because even though they have RB talent to work with (Dominic Rhodes, James Mungro, Ricky Williams) they plan on making a Super Bowl run this season and Edge is going to be a big part of that.

Hes played through injuries and was still a 1000 yard rusher. hes durable. We took ricky when he had ankle problems, its a matter of conditioning and healing. In Indianapolis he was playing hurt all the time. he needs to get healthy again.

I seem to recall an interview with James just after he was drafted in which he stated he intended to play 4 or 5 years and then retire a rich man. He will have played 5 years at the end of this season. I dont know if he still feels this way but I'd be careful with someone with that mentality.

he would have to prove he is still durable. he hasn't been the same lately

They say it takes 2 years to come back from ACL surgery. Well, it took two years to come back fully. He rushed for 1259 yards and 11 TDs on a 4.1 yard per. He was back this year he just didn't get the same number of carries he was getting back when he led the league in rushing two years in a row.

I wouldn't worry about that stuff with Edge...as far as I know that ACL thing is the only major injury I can remember him EVER having to deal with, even back in UM days. The guy always had a knack for being healthy. He's faced a few minor scrapes and dings the past couple of years though...but still I wouldn't worry about that as much as I would worry about the same thing we should have been worried about with Ricky...early retirement.

Ricky just managed to pull off what Edgerrin always said he was GOING to pull off...retiring after 4 or 5 years. I believe Edge once said he would definitely retire after 5 years...because his bank account is fat, and he doesn't want to become one of these old NFL retirees that can't walk right or play ball with their kids. He wanted to pull a Robert Smith....but that ACL injury derailed his plans I think. Either that or he's made peace with the idea of himself as a football player by profession. Maybe he thinks the only way he can go on being a football player is if he's back home in South Florida...but I would be wary of his plans for early retirement, and after this Ricky debacle I would stick some serious anti-retirement clauses in his contract.

Actually he will have played 6 years after this season. He's already broken with those plans, I'm just not fully sure on why. Thats why you stick retirement language in his contract. Make him give back all or part of his signing bonus is he retires...something like that.

think about it guys. if they trade james now they will get something in return like a draft pick or two perhaps.if they wait till next year they will get nothing.so i think its a possible that they might strike something.look out to hear more news about this in the upcoming days.they are just waiting for Ricky to file his papers wich he hasent.

ltfinfan said:
he would have to prove he is still durable. he hasn't been the same lately
dont forget that turf is a accident waiting to happen.Ricky was hurt in NO also.

Back
Top Bottom