Edwards #1 on Miami's board?? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Edwards #1 on Miami's board??

I have a feeling Alex Smith is #1 radar. I heard Hank Goldberg a few minutes ago say if Alex Smith and the 49ers dont work out Saban said he wud consider selecting Alex Smith. If 49ers DO take Alex Smith then maybe ur right Braylon Edwards might be the next guy. Clayton also sed Edwards was ranked ahead of Ronnie Brown on Saban list(how the hell clayton wud know that I dont know) but we'll see.

Braylon is a game breaker. Saban wants game breakers...also, the gap between the top tier backs and second tier is not that big of a difference. I'd love to have Braylon Edwards and Moats or Arrington...for that matter even Sproles in the third or fourth.
We'll be just fine if we take Edwards at #2.

No Surprise

KB21 said:
I don't see it. I don't see Nick Saban taking Edwards over Brown if we can't move down. Edwards is a smoke screen, IMO.

With the myriad of declarations of who is where on so and so's board , it is no surprise to "hear " that Miami has Braylon Edwards atop their draft board.

Whether they do or don't does not matter. It seems that it is both more likely that Braylon would be targeted in a trade up scenario and that more teams would be in pursuit.

Therefore I would be surprised to hear anything else with SF likely taking Alex Smith.

If the posturing makes a trade viable in Miami's opinion then no harm no foul....if Miami decides the incentives don't match the difference in moving down , then Nick Saban will take who he feels will be the best long term value for his franchise.... and who that is, no one outside the small circle of Miami insiders know ....and that is as it should be.

This process is afterall , about adding value to your team , improving the talent and sucess on the field... sure it would be interesting to "know" what is really being said or how the names are tiered... but if the subterfuge helps one small iota... of course it will have been well worth it.

Everyone is going to be shocked when Benson is taken. No one sees it coming.
Thats the problem here people, whatever is going to happen, it will shock all of us. Our pick is not as obvious as everyone is assuming.
Benson is our pick, just you wait and see.

GRYPHONK said:
Yes but when you look at the bigger bigger picture and cap implications a WR at #2 in Edwards or Williams is a better investment then say a Ronnie Brown who based on law of averages has a 4 year life span.

Trust me Edwards or Williams plus Marion Barber in the 2nd is better cap wise and the future for us.

Not only that but if we take Brown that leaves no clear QB or WR that will be worth or left by our 2nd round pick.

Also I would take Benson before Brown. Brown was the 3rd back coming into this draft before his workout heroics.

I will take a RB who has shown in 12 games a season he can get it done rather then a back who has shown the equivalent of 7-8 games due to sharing carries. Plus, they are now jumping to atleast 4 extra games a season. That is a huge step especially if you aren't used to carrying the ball atleast 25 times a game for not even 9 games a season.

I am not saying that Brown will be a bust by any means. It would just be a horrible investment at #2 especially if Williams, Edwards or Smith are still options.

WR's are deeper in this draft then RB's are. The talent drop off in the RB crop is much greater then that of the WR crop. There are quite a few WR's that could last until the 2nd round.

Cedric can run the ball yes, but he doesn't create a mismatch when split out wide. He can catch out of the backfield, but not line up as a WR. Brown can.

There is more to the RB position in the NFL then just running the ball.

TGall13 said:
Braylon is a game breaker. Saban wants game breakers...also, the gap between the top tier backs and second tier is not that big of a difference. I'd love to have Braylon Edwards and Moats or Arrington...for that matter even Sproles in the third or fourth.
We'll be just fine if we take Edwards at #2.

I beg to differ. Using PFW's rating system, the dropoff from the top three to the next running back is a major drop. It drops from a grade of 6.65 to a grade of 5.8. The dropoff from Braylon Edwards to Mark Clayton and Roddy White isn't that large.

dolfan22 said:
With the myriad of declarations of who is where on so and so's board , it is no surprise to "hear " that Miami has Braylon Edwards atop their draft board.

Whether they do or don't does not matter. It seems that it is both more likely that Braylon would be targeted in a trade up scenario and that more teams would be in pursuit.

Therefore I would be surprised to hear anything else with SF likely taking Alex Smith.

If the posturing makes a trade viable in Miami's opinion then no harm no foul....if Miami decides the incentives don't match the difference in moving down , then Nick Saban will take who he feels will be the best long term value for his franchise.... and who that is, no one outside the small circle of Miami insiders know ....and that is as it should be.

This process is afterall , about adding value to your team , improving the talent and sucess on the field... sure it would be interesting to "know" what is really being said or how the names are tiered... but if the subterfuge helps one small iota... of course it will have been well worth it.

Exactly! No one outside Saban's inner circle knows who is the top rated player on Nick's board. If I had to guess, which is all it would be, I would say that Nick has Alex Smith #1 on the board.

I think Miami will take Ronnie Brown because it makes the most sense. He's a perfect fit for Scott Linehan's offense, fills the biggest need the team has, and isn't a reach.

Gitrdone said:
WR's are deeper in this draft then RB's are. The talent drop off in the RB crop is much greater then that of the WR crop.

I could not disagree more.

Brown, Benson and Caddy.

Braylon, Mike Wiliams and Troy Williamson. (or Mark Clayton)

Its a wash....

After that they are all "second tier" guys....

KB21 said:
Exactly! No one outside Saban's inner circle knows who is the top rated player on Nick's board. If I had to guess, which is all it would be, I would say that Nick has Alex Smith #1 on the board.

I think Miami will take Ronnie Brown because it makes the most sense. He's a perfect fit for Scott Linehan's offense, fills the biggest need the team has, and isn't a reach.

I think Miami has Alex Smith at the top of their board too.... but just my opinion.

The value to a QB that can be productive , and not only manage games but be a difference at times when he has to is more valuable than a comparable RB.

What no one knows is if Nick Saban believes this of Alex Smith , or anyone else for that matter.

If the incentives are not enough to trade out of the spot , then from this view I think Ronnie Brown is a better fit for Miami.

The recieving skills are legitimately big time , this is a bonafide 3 down back...he has a ton of intangibles.... that being said I still believe Saban has to feel Brown can be the feature back , if he doesn't , then of course Miami will look to someone else to bolster a very weak running back position.

Sometimes in football or investing ( my forte ) we tend to want to be too cute. Paralysis through analysis..... maybe #2 overall generally is too high for a RB , but as mentioned would you give the #2 for LT ? for many former or current RB's? Of course you would.... There is not always a top 3 overall QB or Left Tackle or DE or a franchise corner....so in every draft you have to realize history is great to respect , but you have to view every year differently , because they simply are.

One thing is certain , you need not get maybe the 2nd best player with a #2 overall , but you BETTER not mess up.... Miami NEEDS to get a productive , impact , difference maker.....if they stay at #2 .

I do feel that Saban would ideally LOVE to drop down a few spots a couple times. In the first and also on subsequent rounds.

Especially this year , I believe he has to almost arrogantly feel the more selections at a relatively high spot he has , the better his and Miami's sucess will be.

HVACservice said:
I could not disagree more.

Brown, Benson and Caddy.

Braylon, Mike Wiliams and Troy Williamson. (or Mark Clayton)

Its a wash....

You named 3 RB's and 4 WR's. After the 3 rb's are taken, there is a dropoff in talent, more so then there is in the wr's.

We are in the cat bird seat!

I think we still might get one of the big backs, but not at #2. Everything I am hearing from the so called experts is that we are in the cat bird seat in this draft by having the opportunity to draft Edwards.

-Cleveland at #3 gave up a 2nd last year to move up one spot and they might do it again.
-The Vikes at #7 want Edwards bad and they will probably call our bluff, only to see us pick Edwards anyway. Then they will bite the bullet and have to trade with us on our terms.
-Washington really wants Edwards bad and might give us their 2 #1's and either some key player or down the road picks.
-Tampa isn't as clear, but they are also looking to move up.

Saban is sticking to the pick value chart and he will not vary from it. We are sitting pretty right now and I cannot wait until tomorrow to see how it all plays out.

Gitrdone said:
You named 3 RB's and 4 WR's. After the 3 rb's are taken, there is a dropoff in talent, more so then there is in the wr's.

After those seven players the WR class is much weaker then the RB class.

Ask KB21.

J Tes said:
According to John Clayton.He went on to say if Cleveland wont swap picks with us, Edwards our guy.

Yeah, he said if Alex Smith is taken 1st.

Back
Top Bottom