Emerging Needs | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Emerging Needs

Jorser

Insider
Reaction score
Listed in order of importance. The players to fill these needs may or may not already be on the roster. In the case of safety, one should emerge of the group we have, no problem there, but it needs to be determined. Either way, this is how I see the the remaining areas where we could add a player between now and the start of camp. What this team lacks is a savvy veteran similar to what Jr Seau brought to the defense last year. This offense is very, very young............across the board. The 'old men' are J. James, Boston, Wilkins, Fiedler, and Konrad. I would like to see a veteran LT added and possibly a WR with return ability.

#3 WR
Depth at LT
KR/PR
Starting FS
Depth at MLB
#4 WR

I don't think #3 WR is as important as some people make it out to be. We do have Randy McMichael. I'm going out on a limb and saying he's a top 5 TE. Add him with Chambers, Boston, and Ricky... plus I think Collier will take advantage of Minor, who I think can be a playmaker, So I'm not at all concerned about weapons on Offense.

Depth at MLB is a concern to me though... Zach is getting up there in age and we've all seen our Defense collapse when he's out. Maybe Eddie Moore can step up and prove he was worth that 2nd round pick.

This is a bit of a departure from your premise, but I'm going to strongly suggest this team needs to find a way to draft a DT on the first day of next year's draft. This goes double if we do end up releasing one of our veterans at that position for cap reasons or if one of them gets hurt...

#3 WR - IMO...Minnis, Tolver, Thompson, or Wilkins
Depth at LT - you may have a point here
KR/PR - Wilkins, Russell, Simmons, Newson, or Minnis
Starting FS - Freeman or Edwards
Depth at MLB - I think Tony Bua gets a spot here
#4 WR - See #3 WR

I feel comfortable with most of those spots.

DW said to keep an eye out for FS Yeamiah Bell. This guy is going to be a gamer I think.

84, we didn't have a backup LT last year either...Actually Jerman is the backup LT. Once McI is back, that could be different.

but as far as backups, Yates, Jerman, Whitley, and McI or St. Clair will probably be the backups..the same as we had last year...

I just have a comment about Zach Thomas getting "up there" in age. Yeah... he's a year older, what 30? He's at his prime now. He'll be in the leage for 7-8 more years, and productive at that, no question. But yes, our depth at LB is concerning. Eddie More, as long as his ego isn't too shattered after getting ***** slapped at a Miami night club about a month ago, he should be fine, and Im interested in seeing whether he's good at all.
Spazzo.

I would love to grab a MLB and a veteran who could play RG, possibly backup at the tackle spots. I would agree that the need for another middle backer is stronger than the need for the OG, but I do not like what we have to offer at either position right now. I'll take a veteran right guard, pay him the veteran minimum, and if one of the younger guys can step up and beat him out, will cut him. This is kind of like what we did with Jack Del Rio. We signed him, just hoping to get a year out of him, butl a young Z.T. came in took that job. As soon as the younger guy stepped up and took the job from the veteran we cut him loose, if not, we would have had a solid veteran for a season. Wait until June 1 and maybe there will be an adequate veteran RG we can grab.

Jorser said:
The 'old men' are J. James, Boston, Wilkins, Fiedler, and Konrad. I would like to see a veteran LT added and possibly a WR with return ability.

Well Boston is 26 I don't think we can consider him and old man just yet.

LarryFinFan said:
84, we didn't have a backup LT last year either...Actually Jerman is the backup LT. Once McI is back, that could be different.

but as far as backups, Yates, Jerman, Whitley, and McI or St. Clair will probably be the backups..the same as we had last year...

I don't agree. Jerman was never really the back up LY, he was just all they had because they were screwed and there was no one else to sign, to me that does not qualify as a reserve. He would get killed, or should I say the QB, would get killed with Jerman as LT. They will not use him as LT reserve this year, in addition they have permanently converted him to guard. I also disagree with your comment that the back ups will be the same as LY. Why did we just draft 3 lineman? All three have a shot at the final roster, of course Carey is a given. Billy Yates also made the team by default last year, Hadnot has a very good shot of beating Yates out for the G/C interior reserve spot. Neither Whitley or Jerman are locks to make the roster and/or one may be the starter. St. Clair may be a starter at RG and would not be available as the 6th man. McIntosh, unfortunately, may not even see the field this year. If he does, it will not be until after week 8 and only as a reserve and at a time that they will probably not want to cut another player that has been contributing and is in the fold already. So the line is still very much a work in progress and it would not be out of the question to see them add another pure LT betweeen now and July.

ChambersOwnz84 said:
#3 WR - IMO...Minnis, Tolver, Thompson, or Wilkins
Depth at LT - you may have a point here
KR/PR - Wilkins, Russell, Simmons, Newson, or Minnis
Starting FS - Freeman or Edwards
Depth at MLB - I think Tony Bua gets a spot here
#4 WR - See #3 WR

I feel comfortable with most of those spots.

84, Bua will likely only be a special teams contributor this year. He may be the back up to Zach down the road. But at 5'11" and 212 lbs currently, I don't think he will be able to bulk up enough in the short term to handle to pounding, heck he may not ever be big enough for the middle. Kevin Mawae would launch him in to outer space. Pope will work behind Zach for now. But this is my point...... There is no one behind Zach right now that you would feel comfortable with in case of injury, no experience or size. Eddie Moore would be the first LB off of the bench, lets hope he is ready and is the real deal. If not, then look for them to add a veteran.

Bua played at 224 pounds his first three years at Arkansas . I bet that that he gets his weight up to 220-225 by the start of training camp.

You also have to consider how our defense is ran. The size of the MLB is not that big of a deal when you consider big Timbo and Cheaster cloggoing the middle. I think Bua can get to prorbaly 225. That to me would be plenty with his headhunter additude. Let us not forget Pope in this mix as well.dolfanreal69

Let's not forget Seau. He has plenty of MLB experience. We could slide him in MLB and place moore in at LB.
I think we need DT depth. Those guys are getting "old". Even our backup is "old" Zgonina.

gunn34 said:
Let's not forget Seau. He has plenty of MLB experience. We could slide him in MLB and place moore in at LB.
I think we need DT depth. Those guys are getting "old". Even our backup is "old" Zgonina.

I agree, I think DT depth is a potential issue. Or more accurately, getting some youth in there.
As for LT, we're probably okay. There's enough guys in camp that someone should emerge as a decent backup. Probably Tony Pape. If McIntosh comes back healthy, we're in great shape.
#3 WR - I'd like to add a speedster; I'm not sold on Snoop Minnis being the answer, and I'm sure not sold on Derrius Thompson. Maybe Sam Simmons or JR Tolver can do something.
KR/PR - Sam Simmons, Terrence Wilkins, Fred Russell...someone decent is bound to emerge from this group.
FS - we're fine. Freeman or Edwards should do the job well.
MLB - I'd feel better about an experienced backup here too. I'm guessing they're counting on Moore, Bua or Jenkins to be a 4th LB, filling in at all three spots.

So, the way I see it, these are our remaining needs:
LB depth, esp. MLB - (I'd really like them to get someone that could allow us to play a little 3-4 and give the offense a different look now and then, though our D obviously is poorly suited for that on a regular basis)
#3 WR
DT depth

Back
Top Bottom