Eric Winston | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Eric Winston

NJL52

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
He was supposed to go top 5 last year. Now he is predicted to go in the second round.

My prediction: Top 5 steal of the draft if he doesn't go in the first.

I think Houston drafts him with the first pick in the 2nd round if he doesnt go in the 1st round.

I think we grab him in the second round. Unless he has a decent combine, this guy is dangerously close to slipping into the third

You know what scares me about Winston? His arms.

At the Senior Bowl his reach measured 32.3 inches. That's TINY for a big offensive tackle.

How important is reach? Hudson Houck once said that as an offensive tackle either you've got really good reach or you've got really good feet, and if you have both then you're special.

His short arms scare me too. I just can't see him being a left tackle in the NFL.

But he's got a real mean streak in him plus he's an excellent run-blocker, so I can see him having success at right tackle.

ckparrothead said:
You know what scares me about Winston? His arms.

At the Senior Bowl his reach measured 32.3 inches. That's TINY for a big offensive tackle.

How important is reach? Hudson Houck once said that as an offensive tackle either you've got really good reach or you've got really good feet, and if you have both then you're special.
That is exactly why I do not think we draft him. Unless he drops till the Third. Or we trade down and get multiple picks in the second. Just my gut feeling.

he will not go into the middle of the 2nd even. He will be come before us. Specially if he has a good combine he might move back into the 1st round. Left Tackle are hard tocome by and his footwork and hands work are exceptional.

He does work with a good base and has great core strength for an undersized LT.

He doesn't have elite quickness and has trouble with speed rushers. This is where the short arms hurt him, defenders can get into his body and help take away his leverage and strength.

this is a sign of a bust everyone when a players stock drops.wouldnt draft him.

Winston is still a borderline first rounder. You have to remember he's still not a 100% back from his ACL injury. He was absolutely dominant his sophomore & junior years. I'd definitely grab him in the 2nd round if he fell that far.

Yeah, but without the tape for reference, I'm starting to wonder just how "dominant" he really was before the injury. I've heard that term attached to people that didn't necessarily deserve it before.

Either way I think Houck had it right...either you have a good reach or good feet, and if you have both you're special. I think the point of that message is that you probably can't be special unless you have both of those things. The fact that Winston's got a smaller reach than 5'9" cornerback Tye Hill may flat out cap Eric Winston's upside.

winston never dominated. he's had good games here and there (and great games), but nothing where you'd say "wow!"

ckparrothead said:
Yeah, but without the tape for reference, I'm starting to wonder just how "dominant" he really was before the injury. I've heard that term attached to people that didn't necessarily deserve it before.

Either way I think Houck had it right...either you have a good reach or good feet, and if you have both you're special. I think the point of that message is that you probably can't be special unless you have both of those things. The fact that Winston's got a smaller reach than 5'9" cornerback Tye Hill may flat out cap Eric Winston's upside.
Who are your sources? this is from Winston's scouting report in NFLDraftCountdown: "Has excellent size with long arms and the frame to add some additional weight"

SackArtist said:
Who are your sources? this is from Winston's scouting report in NFLDraftCountdown: "Has excellent size with long arms and the frame to add some additional weight"

My sources are the exact measurements taken by the folks at the Senior Bowl, where they measured his reach at 32.25 inches, which is smaller than all but one offensive linemen at the Senior Bowl (Center Nick Mangold). If you care to know, he is also 6 feet, 6.3 inches tall, and weighed 302 pounds.

He also has the smallest hands of all of the offensive linemen at the Senior Bowl at 9.125 inches (from pinky to thumb). For reference, all but one running back had bigger hands than he did...and at 5'10" and definitely NOT an athlete, my hands measure out at 9.5 inches. Big hands are commonly viewed as another important weapon for offensive linemen.

Basically from a physical standpoint, the only thing he has going for him are his feet and strength, so if he disappoints everyone with his 40 time and position drills at the combine, you could see him turn into the next Wayne Hunter type that everyone touted as having "first round potential" but falls all the way to the 3rd or 4th round.

Back
Top Bottom