ESPN.com:Young, unproven QBs figure to draw attention | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ESPN.com:Young, unproven QBs figure to draw attention

Regarding the deep outs and Alex Smith... He's only 20! Does anyone realize how much meat they could pack on his bones? He has adequate arm strength now. I am NOT comparing him to Tom Brady, but Tom Brady also got a better deep ball as he got older and experienced. He is smart. I think that intelligence and sound decisions beat raw strength any day. I would rather have someone highly intelligent who can throw the ball well than someone who could throw the ball better but couldn't read a defense.

I have a good feeling about Smith. I have a bad feeling about Rodgers. If for some strange reason they took Smith, I take Brown or Edwards.

By the way -- I am not saying that Rodgers can't read a defense! I'm just going with my gut feeling. One of the two is going to be a bust.

PhinDude88 said:
I agree, it seems like there arent really good QB in FA and you always have to trade for one if you want one. With how deep the RB class is this year, we should take Smith in 1st and RB in 3rd.

and take who in the third round....Gore with bad knees?

JB-Dolfan-VA said:
I'm just going with my gut feeling, one of the two is going to be a bust.

But your gut doesn't tell you which one it will be? Does it depend on what you ate for dinner or how many twix bars you've eaten?

TeeMoney said:
But your gut doesn't tell you which one it will be? Does it depend on what you ate for dinner or how many twix bars you've eaten?

Which part didn't you understand?

I said I have a good feeling about Smith. It has nothing to do with Twix bars, it has to do with his intelligence -- apparently something that evaded you when you wrote that.

Anyway, time will tell.

PhinSoldia said:
and take who in the third round....Gore with bad knees?

I thought we ware taking him at #2.:roflmao:

Seriously though Fason or Morency could fall to us in the third because they didn't run good 40s.

Those are your words. One of the two will be a bust- that is what you said. You think it will be Rogers because of Tedford, or Smith because of Meyer?

Anthony3454 said:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2021162

I don't think this has been posted already. This article is about how the lack of proven QBs available next offseason will lead to unproven QBs becoming hot comodities. They named players like David Garrard, Rohan Davey, J.T. O'Sullivan, and Josh McCown who they think will be in demand next year.

This article made me want to draft a QB with #2 overall very badly. I believe in Feeley, but there's a chance that he won't be good enough. If he isn't good enough there will be very few options next year. Now if the same thing happens and we have Alex Smith ready to step up, our QB position is not a problem.

I want to draft a QB in the 1st round because I don't want to have to be in a bidding war next offseason for David Garrard, who isn't even a starting caliber QB.

Everybodys still looking for the next kurt warner, Jake Delhomme, or Tom Brady

silverloop13 said:
You missed my point. The discussion was on depth at the QB position. That includes back ups. I picked Bledsoe in my fantasy draft the last year he was a Pat. I wanted to know who his back up was and dont remember reading anything positive about his back up who ended up being a pretty great QB.

Again the key word is depth.

I don't think that Rohan Davey has the same intangibles that Tom brady has. I just don't think that Davey has the accuracy or awareness to be a great NFL QB.

Buddwalk said:
Everybodys still looking for the next kurt warner, Jake Delhomme, or Tom Brady

I don't think it is a position teams want to be in though. Given the landscape of quarterbacks, with the exception of the past 3 drafts, teams have just been unable to find good quarterbacks at the college level. Too many college coaches are putting their best athletes at quarterback instead of putting their best quarterback at quarterback.

The last three drafts has been an aberration considering how the quarterback drafts have gone since 1990. Between 1990 and 1999, the draft produced very little in terms of quarterbacks. The league got diluted, and the saving grace of the league may be the 2002, 2003, 2004, and possibly this crop of quarterbacks. IMO, this is the last year that you will see two legitimate top flight quarterbacks with a couple of others that could be first round picks for a while. The next truly great quarterback class may not be till 2008, when Chad Henne, Brian Brohm, Erik Ainge, and Anthony Morelli are seniors.

I think all of football is becoming more about systems than personel. Find the parts that best fit your system.

In college the best players will always go to the best teams and be very productive- however, the best players from the best systems may not translate to the NFL as well.

Back
Top Bottom