ESPN Playmakers making waves in NFL | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ESPN Playmakers making waves in NFL

That it is, apparently every nfl player is gay, or with a different woman every night, including the coaches daughter, and when they aren't doing that they are doing drugs or getting out of jail.

Wow, I really like the show. It's ENTERTAINMENT, that's the point of all television.

People take things too seriously.

Yeah and somehow a drug dealer gets access close enough to give the RB crack.

It's stupid :(

If I wanted to watch a Soap Opera like Playmakers, I'd sit down with my female-friends to watch their girlie shows during the afternoons. This show is a b*tch slap in the face to MEN. I don't know what tricks ESPN is trying to pull by shoving this crap in the face of men and our main sports channel.

Wow you guys really are touchy.

For one, not all the guys on the show are gay, just one. With the rate at which homosexual men compare to heterosexual men in real life, I think 1 gay guy on a team is actually UNDERESTIMATING the ratio that really goes on from team to team. I guess we'll really know in about 15 years when these guys can finally come out.

Secondly, not all the guys on the show sleep around, just one. Considering that this character is single and the fact that some men are womanizers, this too is not all that unrealistic in real life, not to mention the city to city, groupie-like environment that athletes must go through.

Thirdly, not all the guys on the show take drugs. One guy uses heroin regularly, which if you consider some of the nut-jobs that play/played in the NFL (ie Lawrence Phillips, Cecil Collins, Ray Carruth) and all the athletes that are convicted of using drugs (ie Micheal Irvin, James Jackson, Daryl Strawberry) and all the players that are suspended for violating the NFL's Substance Abuse Policies, this should not seem so out of place in a Football lockeroom. Hell, even the Holy Grail of this franchise (Marino) came out of college with a supposed drug problem.

The issues on this program are not only social issues that run rampant in the NFL (ie Drug Use, Sex) but also the psychological issues of the players of the game itself. If you go character by character, many of the issues they face parallel many of the issues that certain players and coaches face. For example, the RB has to deal with the fact that he is getting closer to the end of his career, much like the Emmitt's and Bettis's of the football world. The coach must deal with the fact that the stress of the game is overwhelming him physically, much like what Mike Ditka and Dan Reeves dealt with. Even the linebacker on the team reminds me of Zach in that he uses his toughness and desire to overcome his physical inabilities.

I for one, really like the show and think its a lot closer to what the NFL is than some of you may think. In fact, the producers of the show sought out former NFL players in order to keep the show as close to reality as possible while still being entertaining. Basically, the issues, while they may be a little dramatic (as is the case with any show) are real issues that all athletes have to deal with. You may think that it's a soap opera, but the Sopranos and OZ were also categorized as male soap operas when they came out and they are by far two of the most popular male oriented dramatic shoes ever.

The show stinks. Every character on that show is a lousy character. The show needs to be more subtle and not force the worst case scenario for each scene. The only reason I even see the show is that the gym I go to has a tv on ESPN, and I am usually at the gym in the 5:30-7:00 PM Pacific time period on Tuesdays. So that lousy show is on.

No, I have seen the show before, they all like sleep around. And they are always at the club getting lap dances on a nightly bases.

I'm not touch, but I can see where the NFL is getting it's bad rap from. Yes it's entertainment, but it's been done this way over and over. Just like any given sunday, all it was, was wild parties, sleeping around, drugs, and being in jail.

That's not the life of every nfl superstar.

Uh no, not every player "sleeps around" in Playmakers. The only one that sleeps around is the QB (and the young RB, to a lesser extent earlier in the season). The others date women or are married to women like normal men. Again, if you think that single, famous men sleeping around is out of character, you must not understand the male psyche too well.

Going to strip clubs is in no way even close to sleeping around. I have been with my girlfriend for 3+ years and I sometimes go to strip clubs with my friends. If you think thats out of character for NFL players, you must be kidding. Jeez, when Junior finally became a Dolphin, one of the first places he was spotted was in a strip club with his new teammate, Zach Thomas.

As for the NFL getting a bad rap, trust me, Oliver Stone (the director of Any Given Sunday) would never make a movie about a subject without fully researching the subject thoroughly. I am 99% sure that he at least had some consultants on the set that were former NFL players or were familiar with life in the NFL (including actors who were former players like Lawrence Taylor, who FYI had a little drug problem). He just didn't make these things up to get people to go out to the theatres. That is life (or at least close to it) in the NFL.

The show would be better if there was more emphasis on Football as opposed to the messed up lives of the players. I'd like to see more actual game time and locker room emotion, scheming, team meetings game planning and actual game time. That would make for a cool show.

Originally posted by Z28&dolfan
The show would be better if there was more emphasis on Football as opposed to the messed up lives of the players. I'd like to see more actual game time and locker room emotion, scheming, team meetings game planning and actual game time. That would make for a cool show.

Unfortunately ESPN and all other networks are after ratings.... or have you forgotten.... this is the kind of stuff that sells. I'm with Rrod.... it's not unrealistic.... this is the stuff that happens. They just focus on the negative.... and that is what people want to see.... we as a society want to see this..... What's the #1 show today? CSI? A show about CRIME SCENES!

I'd rather watch sporting events on ESPN instead of movies/soap operas. Besides, I wouldn't waste my life watching that crap.

Back
Top Bottom