ESPN reports that Jim Bates ... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ESPN reports that Jim Bates ...

CpuFan

Active Roster
Reaction score
Friday, January 23, 2004
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Speaking of the Dolphins, it looks like the team dodged a bullet, and will be able to keep defensive coordinator Jim Bates around. Although it was reported at least twice in recent weeks by ESPN.com that Bates' contract with the Dolphins had quietly expired, no one seemed to pick up on it. A very talented coordinator, Bates had only one nibble, that from the Cowboys, when it appeared Dallas coordinator Mike Zimmer might accept the head coaching job at Nebraska. Two teams to whom we spoke, both of which were looking for new defensive coordinators, conceded they did not know Bates was a free agent. Too bad, since Bates is better than either of the coordinators the teams hired.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1716160

_______

It's amazing that everyone missed this, Hank G and even those quality reporters in Miami too.... LOL I guess they are in their weekly and almost daily Super Slump LOL...

:D :D

Last edited by a moderator:
:eek: :eek: Contract expired...Who is supposed to monitor this???
:drinkers: Glad he's still a Dolphin

Damn, I was hoping it said Jim Bates was FIRED.

Why did no one want him? Gee I wonder. The defense CHOKES anytime there needed to step up. A group with this much talent shouldn't fold easier then a poker player with a 2-7 off suit.

Actually as the article pointed out nobody realized he was a free agent.

"Two teams to whom we spoke, both of which were looking for new defensive coordinators, conceded they did not know Bates was a free agent. Too bad, since Bates is better than either of the coordinators the teams hired."

There weren't all that many teams with open D-Coordinator positions I don't think. If two of them didn't even have the slightest clue that he was available, its probably safe to say more didn't know either.

You can't blame Bates because someone didn't wrap their arms around a WR, RB, or QB. Remember that's why you all wanted Rodgers to leave.

I am not sure how I feel about this. He runs a vanilla D with too much man-man. However the man-man cover helps the run D and still creates turnovers. So if he can mix it up a bit and actually confuse some opponents I am all for him staying. I guess it would be tough to loose both the O and D coordinator.

i"m surprised at how much negativity we hear surrounding bates coming from a lot of people on this board. Sure his D is vanilla but they are usually right there in least points allowed in the league, they create turnovers, and they are awesome in the redzone. I'm a big fan of bates, even if hes only been successful due to the personnel around him, some fail even with that. Glad he's staying, remember zach and jason taylor were not first round picks, neither was ogun, he helped make players out of them even in his vanilla scheme and the bottom line is we don't let up a lot of points.

as a bonus we are really the only defense peyton manning consistently struggles to beat which is always fun

For the most part, the defense was pretty steady this season guys. They were 3rd in the NFL in points allowed, that's pretty freakin' good. They did dip in yards allowed, yet they were on the field a lot more this season thanks to the running game taking a sort of dive (compared to 2002). I still think Bates can be more aggressive; but the defense is not a problem on this team (most of the time).

Well the Miami Herald and the Finheaven staff didn't forget it. Check out page two of our news section on the front page. We had it 8 days ago. ;)

Yeah well this story that CPUfan reported was reported by Pastabelli a while ago. I was actually gonna post somethin soon about if anyone knows whether or not Bates has signed a new contract yet or if he's still working on good faith.

That Len article also has a nice blurb about our QB coach situation in the paragraph above. Basically, it says that Jimmy Raye was our first choice for QBs coach, but under no circumstances would the Jets let him interview with us.

Fortunately, Raye was able to land the OC/Assistant HC job under Norv in Oakland.

I was praying for an all new coaching staff from top to bottom with Bates being first on my list to go. Our defense has underacheived tremendously and I believe we need a whole new scheme.

Back
Top Bottom