Eugene Monroe better football player than Branden Albert ? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Eugene Monroe better football player than Branden Albert ?

fisi

Active Roster
Reaction score
Eugene Monroe

Height: 6-5
Weight: 306lbs
Pro Football Focus ranks him the 10th best left tackle in the league.
Read more at http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/...ags-for-lt-eugene-monroe/?yz2scHYlsWdSJvox.99
Ranked 10th best tackle by pro football focus
[h=3]Pass Block[/h] 43/50

Not your protypical left tackle at just 6’5”, Eugene Monroe (306 pounds, four seasons) has been able to play at a Pro Bowl level because of his quickness in space and balance when attacked. He has the ability to slide and mirror pass-rushers, but he’s quick enough to counter inside moves and crash down on rushers trying to get leverage. Monroe isn’t perfect, but he grades out very high on the edge.
[h=3]Run Block[/h] 41/50

Equally dangerous as a run-blocker, Monroe’s short-area quickness is off the charts. He’s able to fire off the ball and quickly gain leverage under his pads. He does a good job sinking his hips and driving defenders. He can latch and drive.
[h=3]Overall[/h] 84/100

Monroe is one of the better balanced tackles in the NFL. He’s equally punishing as a run-blocker and pass-protector, and while he might not be elite at either criteria, he’s pretty close. Monroe is the right mix of dual-threat that teams hope for but can rarely find.

[h=2]Branden Albert, Kansas City Chiefs[/h]6'5", 316 pounds, six seasons 2 pro bowls
29 yr old
ranked 13/35
[h=3]Pass Block[/h] 45/50

In 13 games this season, Branden Albert (6'5", 316 pounds, five seasons) allowed just one sack, but he missed two contests against Von Miller and the Broncos. Albert is a good athlete who can hold the edge with quickness and a solid first punch. He knows how to stun pass-rushers and is strong enough to hold his ground against inside moves.
[h=3]Run Block[/h] 32/50

You might think that with Jamaal Charles’ stats that Albert was a dominant run-blocker. He wasn’t. The Chiefs were a run-right team all season, leaving Albert to protect the backside on zone runs. He will get blown off the ball in the run game as he fires off too high. He has a tendency to plant his feet and try to reach with his arms, which extends his upper body and causes him to lose balance. He has to learn to keep his weight transferred and his body over his feet.
[h=3]Overall[/h] 77/100

Albert might be a bit overrated when you see him on film. He was a good pass-protector this year, but he was the opposite as a run-blocker. Albert needs to find balance and give more effort in the run game.

Monroe's definitely the better player in my eyes. I wouldn't touch Albert, would hate the signing. They both come with injury concerns though, which is why I'd give Anthony Collins a blank paycheck. It'd still be cheaper than either of these two.

Monroe is younger. I like that. I have a hard time seeing him get out the door in Baltimore

Albert is a stud in pass pro. No doubt he is on the market in March.

Monroe's definitely the better player in my eyes. I wouldn't touch Albert, would hate the signing. They both come with injury concerns though, which is why I'd give Anthony Collins a blank paycheck. It'd still be cheaper than either of these two.

I am so worried about paying these guys tons of money, the hardly play a whole season. OL man drop like flies, they get injured too much.

When you start counting out money there are a couple guys I like more than either one of those two, but for the question, Monroe is better.

I am so worried about paying these guys tons of money, the hardly play a whole season. OL man drop like flies, they get injured too much.

The injury bug definitely stole Jake Longs career

Another consideration for Hickey and Philbin is team leadership. After the Martin/Incognito implosion, it was clear that the absence of good leadership on the O-line was a contributing factor to events. This is the opportunity for a significant rebuild, but we need to recruit a strong leader. Clabo contributed more after the implosion but he's not a long term answer.

I'll take whichever we can get. If both are available for the same money, sure, I'd take Monroe ... but I said that last year and during the season when he was with Jacksonville and suggested trading for him before he moved to Baltimore out of the blue. Yeah, that one was a no-brainer in my eyes. But frankly, if we can sign Monroe or Albert, I'll take the first one who signs, because they're both good LT's and we desperately need a good LT ... and just about every other OL position.

Why take either one of them when we have Jon Martin on the roster?:chuckle:

Back
Top Bottom