Exactly what has Spurrier ever done? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Exactly what has Spurrier ever done?

fin-atic

Are you a VIP?
Club Member
Reaction score
Hey I think the guys is a good college coach. However, he has only won one National title and really was never in competition for another. Spurrier was famous for racking up big numbers on little schools like the "Fighting Chipawas" of Northern Michigan. But when he played the best schools he was not dominant at all. He won several SEC titles and hat is a very tough conference. That makes him a good college coach. But nothing special.

Frankly, I do not know why this guy gets such media attention. I swear that fact that he is taking the SC job is being treated by the media like a Michael Jordan return.

Give me a break. All hype and no titles. :shakeno:

I am glad he is not goign to be our coach.

He's a crappy NFL coach but a good college coach. I think he will do a good job at SC. I doubt they will win a national title, but I can see them winning 8-9 games a year.

He is a good college coach. Not a great college coach. And certainly he has done nothing to merritt the attention he gets.

fin-atic said:
Hey I think the guys is a good college coach. However, he has only won one National title and really was never in competition for another.

Yes, he was. The year before they won the title, they lost the title game to Nebraska in the Fiesta Bowl.

fin-atic said:
However, he has only won one National title and really was never in competition for another.
In 1995, UF lost to Nebraska in the National Championship Game.

In 2002, UF spent much of the year ranked #1 and was in position to play Miami in the Rose Bowl for the National Championship, but got upset by Tennessee in the last game of the year. As it was, UF spanked Maryland in the Orange Bowl and finished ranked 3rd in the country.

But when he played the best schools he was not dominant at all.
I believe he was 11-1 against Georgia, 10-2 against Tennessee, and 10-2 against LSU.

He won several SEC titles and hat is a very tough conference. That makes him a good college coach. But nothing special.
He won six SEC Championships at a school that had never won one before he became coach. He turned a bunch of perennial underachievers into champions. He dominated the SEC like no other coach since Bear Bryant. He's got one of the best winning percentages of any coach in NCAA history.

Give me a break. All hype and no titles. :shakeno:
No titles? WTF???

Gator Mike said:
In 1995, UF lost to Nebraska in the National Championship Game.

In 2002, UF spent much of the year ranked #1 and was in position to play Miami in the Rose Bowl for the National Championship, but got upset by Tennessee in the last game of the year. As it was, UF spanked Maryland in the Orange Bowl and finished ranked 3rd in the country.

I believe he was 11-1 against Georgia, 10-2 against Tennessee, and 10-2 against LSU.

He won six SEC Championships at a school that had never won one before he became coach. He turned a bunch of perennial underachievers into champions. He dominated the SEC like no other coach since Bear Bryant. He's got one of the best winning percentages of any coach in NCAA history.

No titles? WTF???
:yeahthat:

FSU fan here...

Spurrier is a great college coach and the reason for all the hype...
the guys teams are exciting and he's flambouyant and controversial.

It's good stuff.

other then bringing the Gators to a National Championship and making them one of the best football teams around?

Back
Top Bottom