Examining Three Smart Dolphins Moves And How They Came About | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Examining Three Smart Dolphins Moves And How They Came About

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
Jakeem%20Grant

We saw the Dolphins use Frank Gore and Kenyan Drake together in the backfield for the first time on Sunday, and the first play run out of that formation gained 12 yards, when Ryan Tannehill faked a handoff to Gore and threw a short pass to Drake in the opposite direction.

And this staff had the foresight to shift to the boundary two players who have the body types of slot players – 5-7 receiver Jakeem Grant and 5-11 cornerback Bobby McCain. Those decisions have been especially fruitful.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/...y-jackson/article218387825.html#storylink=rss

It was great to see Grant so involved in the opener. His talent is obvious. Gore still looks like he has it. I do think Gase tends to get away from the running game a little too much. Hopefully, he will stick with it a bit more.

It was great to see Grant so involved in the opener. His talent is obvious. Gore still looks like he has it. I do think Gase tends to get away from the running game a little too much. Hopefully, he will stick with it a bit more.

Gase absolutely gets away from the running game waaaay too much.

It's mind-boggling to see especially when the team is getting good yards per carry.

It's almost as if he can't stand to be successful that way or have the running game overshadow the passing game.

Very frustrating!

I think Gase gets away from the run as opponents coverage dictates.

A lot of those shot passes ppl complain about are really an extension of the running game In the Mike Martz offensive philosophy.

Anyway, thanks Dk. Interesting article.

Miami ran more than the league average in 2016. We got away from it in 2017. I anticipate we will have a good balance again this season, based on what I saw week one.

I don't know any true offensive guru that doesn't pass more than they run, so in my mind that's a good sign.

I meant pass more edit

Last edited:
I think Gase gets away from the run as opponents coverage dictates.

A lot of those shot passes ppl complain about are really an extension of the running game In the Mike Martz offensive philosophy.

Anyway, thanks Dk. Interesting article.

They only problem is we utilize the short passing while trying to run it 25 - 30 times a game which is inefficient ( asking the offense to consistently put together long drives) way of putting points on the score board. If the short passes are an extension of the run game then we have to run the ball a lot less similar to Mike Martz and NE offensive scheme, if we want to run the ball a lot more than we have to get more vertical like ala Todd Haley, Mike Shanahan.

Gase absolutely gets away from the running game waaaay too much.

It's mind-boggling to see especially when the team is getting good yards per carry.

It's almost as if he can't stand to be successful that way or have the running game overshadow the passing game.

Very frustrating!
Sometimes it seems that some coaches try to be too cute or clever. I feel Gase sometimes fits into that category. Shannahan in the super bowl is another example. Of course, someone else pointed out that the short passing game is essentially an extension of the running game and that's a valid point.

I would rather Gore have a few less carries in the beginning of the season than too many and risk he wears down later in the year. Although he hasn't worn down previously with heavy workloads, he will hit the wall eventually.

Sometimes it seems that some coaches try to be too cute or clever. I feel Gase sometimes fits into that category. Shannahan in the super bowl is another example. Of course, someone else pointed out that the short passing game is essentially an extension of the running game and that's a valid point.

Indeed, It's like convientional/common sense football doesn't appeal to them.

Down on the goal line?

Conventional wisdom says to spread them out and run the ball.

Gase: Screw that! I'm going to throw a fade to my Rookie TE vs. a Superbowl MVP DB. What could possibly go wrong?

Last edited:
We need to utilize Drake's talents both running and receiving out of the back field and on the boundary, The kid is electrifying!

They only problem is we utilize the short passing while trying to run it 25 - 30 times a game which is inefficient ( asking the offense to consistently put together long drives) way of putting points on the score board. If the short passes are an extension of the run game then we have to run the ball a lot less similar to Mike Martz and NE offensive scheme, if we want to run the ball a lot more than we have to get more vertical like ala Todd Haley, Mike Shanahan.
It does seem less efficient, as any incompletion is a wasted down, where as a between the tackles run is more likely to gain positive yardage.

On the other hand, if a team ever becomes excellent at that type of offense, it puts enormous pressure on a defense. It mitigates the effectiveness of pass rushers, and creates mismatch one on ones. Theoretically anyway.....lol

As long as we are not constantly throwing to bubble screens or behind the LOS in any manner, I am ok with the run/pass mix so far.

Jakeem%20Grant

We saw the Dolphins use Frank Gore and Kenyan Drake together in the backfield for the first time on Sunday, and the first play run out of that formation gained 12 yards, when Ryan Tannehill faked a handoff to Gore and threw a short pass to Drake in the opposite direction.

And this staff had the foresight to shift to the boundary two players who have the body types of slot players – 5-7 receiver Jakeem Grant and 5-11 cornerback Bobby McCain. Those decisions have been especially fruitful.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/...y-jackson/article218387825.html#storylink=rss
Was that three?

I loved seeing Drake and Gore in the backfield together. That’s not a formation seen as much in the NFL anymore. Puts the team at a personnel advantage. Hope the Fins keep that up.

Back
Top Bottom