Excellent post from dolfantalk | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Excellent post from dolfantalk

Bowl_Bound

Practice Squad
Reaction score
R.Rainey point out the following,

Look at the pic of Fiedler below, notice where his index finger is on the football. See it?

It's on the nose of the ball. Thats incorrect or bad mechanics. I've seen a handful of qb's in the past that throw with this, dysfunctional form, and all of them but one were no more than backup quality players.

Terry Bradshaw threw the ball like that. He's the only one I've ever noticed over the years that uses this form and was successful at it. Then again, that may help explain why Swann and Stallworth were always making those acrobatic catches all over Three Rivers!

Putting your finger on the nose of the football causes friction upon release. It can cause wobbles and the ball to sail on you. I'm surprised no one has tried to correct Jay's bad mechanics with the ball. But they probably have tried and this is the way he is use to throwing it.

Bradshaw's arm strength was tremendous and was probably the only reason why he could complete passes using this bad form, especially in bad weather. Jay doesn't have that arm strength. And this bad form undoubtly is part of the reason his passes aren't always on target or sharp and sometimes look like wounded ducks.

Without arm strength (and we're talking great arm strength) to push the ball forward, this flaw in his grip will always effect his accuracy downfield, especially into the wind or on cold (30's or below) games

WELL I CANT GET THE PIC BUT HERE IS THE POST

http://www.dolfantalk.com/cgi-bin/_forum_messageboard/index.cgi?read=101799

Originally posted by dreadlockera
R.Rainey point out the following,

Look at the pic of Fiedler below, notice where his index finger is on the football. See it?

It's on the nose of the ball. Thats incorrect or bad mechanics. I've seen a handful of qb's in the past that throw with this, dysfunctional form, and all of them but one were no more than backup quality players.

Terry Bradshaw threw the ball like that. He's the only one I've ever noticed over the years that uses this form and was successful at it. Then again, that may help explain why Swann and Stallworth were always making those acrobatic catches all over Three Rivers!

Putting your finger on the nose of the football causes friction upon release. It can cause wobbles and the ball to sail on you. I'm surprised no one has tried to correct Jay's bad mechanics with the ball. But they probably have tried and this is the way he is use to throwing it.

Bradshaw's arm strength was tremendous and was probably the only reason why he could complete passes using this bad form, especially in bad weather. Jay doesn't have that arm strength. And this bad form undoubtly is part of the reason his passes aren't always on target or sharp and sometimes look like wounded ducks.

Without arm strength (and we're talking great arm strength) to push the ball forward, this flaw in his grip will always effect his accuracy downfield, especially into the wind or on cold (30's or below) games

WELL I CANT GET THE PIC BUT HERE IS THE POST

http://www.dolfantalk.com/cgi-bin/_forum_messageboard/index.cgi?read=101799

hope you read my response to that post as well...

you guys are holding onto straws....

Re: Re: Excellent post from dolfantalk

Originally posted by FFiB

hope you read my response to that post as well...

you guys are holding onto straws....

plus that picture was taken Sept 2002...when jay had his best ever stretch as a Miami Dolphins QB...
lmao

:lol:

Yep, It's crap..............

You know who Bill Walsh once described as a "horrible mechanical mess"?

Yep....you guessed it.....Dan Marino.

Originally posted by ARealFinsFan
Yep, It's crap..............

You know who Bill Walsh once described as a "horrible mechanical mess"?

Yep....you guessed it.....Dan Marino.

It's called grasping for straws.....

If Brian doesn't play lights out on Sunday it might have been his last game this year....sooooo....everybody is already going into "I hate Jay"mode....

From the picture I'm trying to figure out which arm he is throwing with as they are both on the ball and both index fingers are at the base.......lmao

Dont you think if this was true, at some point, a QB coach(Like Mike Shula) wouldnt have said "HEY! Dumbarse! Stop doing that thing with your fingers that is susposed to be terrible mechanics". And then Fiedler probabaly would have said something to the tone of "Ok.", and that would be that.

As far as Bill Walsh, I've also seen him ("Marino: Heart of a Champion" Special, anyone?) praise Marino's mechanics.

I think the thing with Dan was, his methods were unorthodox, but the strange way he did things worked for him. It worked REAL well for him.

That's the way I hold a football, and I throw better like that personally. Then again, I can throw far with no good accuracy, so take it for what it's worth.

You're right Bill Walsh is senile......But it was very popular to talk about Dan Marino's awkward delivery.

Dan never:

followed through on his right foot.

Stepped to the reciever with his left.

kept the ball at shoulder level.

released at hair line level.

NOT pat the ball.

cease to throw side arm.

finish with your body facing your target.

ALL OF THESE THINGS WERE MECHANICAL FLAWS IN DAN"S DELIVERY.

I always thought the guy was pretty good.

Something else to take into consideration is that the picture is NOT of Fiedler throwing the ball. It is a picture of Fiedler dropping back and/or reading the coverage.

clear.gif

Back
Top Bottom