Excited about the defense | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Excited about the defense

FinHopeful

Starter
Reaction score
I asked myself how does an offensive coordinator attack the current Miami Dolphins defense, and I started to excited after just a few minutes of analysis. The first approach is to attack the defense where it was weak the previous year. Offensive lines certainly blew our DEs and DTs off the ball last year, but I am not sure they can do it this year. Jason Ferguson is not going to get blown off the ball, and he has enough lateral movement that stretching out the defense will be more difficult that it was last year. I am not sure who will be our starting DEs, but I know that Matt Roth will not be one of them. I expect them to be reasonable stout at the point of attack. This means that the OTs are not going to be able to get directly at Taylor and Joey P. I am confident that they will be able to compete affectively on off tackle running plays.

If there is not a weakness off tackle, then you have to attack between the tackles. As I said before, I do not expect Jason Ferguson to be driven off the ball consistently. I am confident that the two starting ILBs from the Atkins, Crowder, and Torbor competition will compete against the OGs and the lead blockers. The presence of Y. Bell and Jason Allen increases my confidence. My expectation is that we will be able to raise our rushing defense into the top 20 at least.

Since the run defense is no longer a blaring weakness, the offensive coordinator may attack our pass defense. The problem with this approach is that we will mount an effective pass rush. Our line rotation gives us the ability to bring in fresh bodies to rush the passer, and JT and Joey P. are not going to take the brunt of the punishment in the rushing games. This means our defensive coordinator is going to be screaming "let loose the dogs of war!!" I expect both of them to rack up sacks in the 3-4. I expect that we will give up considerably more passing yards this season. I believe that our secondary is top 20, but I expect teams will be more productive moving the ball through the air versus this defense. I believe that our CBs will be beaten more than we like, but I am confident that Y. Bell and J. Allen will deliver a fair number of punishing blows.

My conclusion is that we will be in every game until the 4th quarter unlike last year. That is quite an improvement.

No question the front seven is bigger, stronger, deeper and younger. Biggest improvement we made this offseason, without a doubt. Well, maybe offensive line. Anyway, either way, our play in the trenches will be far better. Should be fun.

Totally agree, Parcells has made our front 7 hella' deep and talented. I really think defensivly we can end up playing like we did the first year Saban came in. Our front 7 played lights out, which made our weaknesses in the secondary much less visible.

Back
Top Bottom