Expert Predictions... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Expert Predictions...

Originally posted by GazPhin
Most of the "experts" put MIA as a deivisional champion but none seem to think we'll make the big show. At least the RW signing suggests to most that we have improved.

http://www.nfl.com/insider/predictions_2002.html
here are 2 that can no longer be called "experts":
  1. Jim Armstrong
  2. Boomer Esiason
    [/list=1]

the Jets winning the AFC East :rolleyes:

Boomer and John Wiebusch must know something about EJs knee to pick Indy to go all the way :eek:

how can boomer not even put the phins in the playoffs...theyve been there a ridiculous amount of times in the last 10 years, and they can only have a better team now than they have had in at least the last 2 years...3rd place behind the jets and the cinderella pats? come on boomer...no wonder al michaels had u fired

suprisingly Boomer did not have his buddy Mike Tice's team any better than 3rd either - so who knows how he made the picks. Maybe he had his dog pee or kids make em or something :rolleyes:

Perhaps he's using the "Magic 8 Ball" to tell him who's in and who's not. :lol:

BTW 39, awesome avatar!! Any of you who are not watching "Le Tour" are really missing out. Armstrong has to be the most incredibly conditioned, well disciplined athelete I've ever seen. For him to accelerate in the mountains like that floors me every single time I see it, without fail!

Boomer is an idiot as how can we add Norv and Ricky and technically we return 18 of 22 starts......with Lamar, Hunter, and Walker being let go and no longer wanted because we had better talent replacing them or they didn't fit the system (i.e. Hunter).....and not be considered a playoff team??

Well here's what I'll say about the Jets. Chances are they won't be bad this year. 8-8 probably, around that area, but they could get as high as 11-5 or something. On the outset they don't look that bad I mean they had some defensive problems last year and Herm Edwards hadn't put his own stamp on he defense yet and now he has. He's replaced a lot of players but they are players that "fit" his system...both Beasley and Abraham are better tacklers than their Coleman-Glenn counterparts. And they are both a lot more experienced in Herm's cover two zone coverage (which doesn't mean they are better than Coleman and Glenn because though Coleman-Glenn weren't use to the system they might have more than made up the difference in pure talent advantages over Abraham and Beasley).

Edwards nabbed himself a tackler in Garnes who on paper looks alright. He got Sam Cowart, who on paper looks real good. He's still got Marvin Jones and Mo Lewis both of whom look great on paper (Mo Lewis looks pretty damn good on the field too). John Abraham at times is just unstoppable. Jason Ferguson is a real solid DT and he's coming back. He's even solidified the other DT position with both Larry Webster and Josh Evans both of whom are capable part-timers with possible full-time potential. He drafted first round stud Bryan Thomas at the other DE position...

On paper, given Herm's track record with defenses and given the type of players that he got to fill defined roles, a homeristic Jet fan wouldn't be a complete froth-mouthed lunatic to think the Jets defense could be in the top 5 in the league.

And the offense, well their OL is in REAL BAD shape, however does anyone REALLY think that will prevent a talent like Curtis Martin from getting 1300 yards rushing? And of course where Vinny is concerned the OL could hurt him because he's not that mobile and he's old, but with Laveraneous Coles and Wayne Chrebet in the WR corp with Anthony Becht and the aforementioned CuMart, the offense should probably be mediocre. A division title is NOT out of reach for the Jets and I hope the Dolphins realize that when they play the Jets.

My only gripe with the Jets in terms of how they'll do this year is...well, the X factor...which might also be called the FREE AGENT factor. They look great on paper and look like a division title contender easily. But they are rolling the dice in many different ways here. Playing craps with their players...

Roll#1 Jason Ferguson: Its not like this guy was even a pro bowl talent before going out with injury but he's being treated like the savior of the NY run defense. He's played only a handful of games in the past two years....question 1 would be can he stay injury-free, and question 2 would be can he reach the same level of play he had before injury?

Roll#2 Sam Cowart: Can this guy really stay injury-free? Can he really come even CLOSE to his previous level of play? Great talent at linebacker is lost pretty easily especially with bad injuries like the ones Cowart has faced. A linebacker can go from pro bowler to chump in a single season. He replaces a known-quantity talented LB who was performing at a pro bowl level...

Roll#3 Sam Garnes: Do they really even know the guy? He's a free agent from an unfamiliar team and thats about as much of an unknown quantity as you can get.

Roll#4 Donnie Abraham: Abraham never was all that talented to begin with and they've looked to him to replace a pro bowl talent like Aaron Glenn. Is Herm's memory of Abraham a little fuzzy or is he really a perfect fit? Who knows...

Roll#5 Aaron Beasley: See Sam Garnes. Nobody really knows this guy. Nobody knows whether he truly fits the system or not and he was not to be mistaken with anything but mediocre even on the team where he was most at home, Jacksonville.

Roll#6 Larry Webster/Josh Evans: Both have substance abuse issues, and Evans is one small strike away from permanent expulsion from the league (see Dale Carter). They are being counted on to keep their noses clean (literally) and neither comes from a place that the Jets coaching staff is intimately familiar with. Who really knows whether these guys are talented or not or whether it will translate to the this system and this team? A true question mark...

For a team thats going to be relying on its defense and running game to win games, they're rolling the dice a lot on the D in starter positions and you never know if these guys will come together and play. For that reason alone I think the defense will be mediocre.

By the way we're rolling the dice ourselves a number of times free agent-wise...

Larry Chester...we only really know the guy from when we've played him the few times we did. He's coming off an injury too, and we're counting on him to start. He's this year's version of last year's James McKnight and Todd Perry.

Leon Searcy...we didn't sign him to start, we only gave him the vet's minimum....so I dont know if this really qualifies but he has won the starting job so far in camp.

RICKY WILLIAMS...he's not in danger of getting suspended or anything like that but who knows if his previous production will translate for us. I think so and so does most of the league but stranger things have happened.

But to tell you the truth those are the only unfamiliars that we're rolling the dice on which is a good thing, especially since Leon Searcy shouldn't even be on the list cuz he won the starting job, wasn't GIVEN it. Now if we were to talk about INJURY questions well, thats different...also position switch questions, eh hem.

Originally posted by Expo88
. Armstrong has to be the most incredibly conditioned, well disciplined athelete I've ever seen. For him to accelerate in the mountains like that floors me every single time I see it, without fail!

He's my personal hero!!

Go Lance!

You know, if Trace makes it back from his achilles injury this year and has a solid season, and then the Raiders let him go (which is probably going to happen) after the season...

I wouldn't mind picking him back up next year at the vet's minimum to play his old role.

Back
Top Bottom