Explain this FO phenomena. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Explain this FO phenomena.

Jaj

What you say?
Reaction score
Ever noticed how badly we would suck if we were without FA? No I like our FO very much, but what is with the crummy drafts not only this year but in year's past as well. If it were not for cheap FA signings we would be dead in the water. We would of probably screwed up those 1st round picks if we had not gotten Ricky, so thank God we did trade for him.

I mean just look.

2000- Only guy on the team is Todd Wade and that is expected from a 2nd rounder. Playing OK ball now whining for money.

2001- Chambers is the payoff pick. Minor still looks he was picked way too darn high. Yes he is versatile but a 3rd rounder? We could of gotten him way later. Greenwood solid player.

2002- I know it is early, but still gotta do it. McKinney challenging but at the same time struggling to keep the C role. Simmons versatile picked way too high. Henry our 3rd backup.

Now check out for example let's say the Titans.

2000- Keith Bulluck. Emerging star player who got the job long time ago. Chamberlin and Sirmon are doing their part as well.

2001- Dyson. McCareins. Berlin.

2002- Haynesworth. Got the job based on talent but now is looking great and will be an All-Pro soon. Tank Williams is already a darn good safety. Calmus got the starting job and is doing his part. Beckham has not done too much. Hartwig is still there I think giving depth. Carlos Hall was the Steal. 8 sacks or something rookie year 7th rounder.

Why do we have the better record, simply FA.

Can someone explain to me what the hell is going on for so long. I am happy sure we are winning, but why the lopsided ability from the FO?

Let's see, you left out Arturo Freeman from the 2000 draft who was a starter last year and will likely be a starter some time in the future again. 2001 still has all of the top picks on the roster with two of them (Chambers and Greenwood) as starters and important contributers. With 2002 you appear to be totally clueless considering every single one of the guys from that class remains on the roster now with the exception of Omare Lowe who was one of the final cuts made in TC this year and you completely forgot to mention rookie of the year candidate- fourth rounder Randy McMichael!

Apparently you were in such a hurry to post this that you didn't let the facts get in the way of the story. Considering there are currently four guys on this team filled with veteran talent that are starting now actually seems pretty darn successful if you ask me.

Also, you're talking about a team that didn't have a first round pick in 3 out of the past 4 years so you have to factor that in as well. Additionally, this year's class would have 6 players on the active roster- and possibly two starters- if it weren't for Moore's injury.

It's also totally unfair to compare one team's drafts to another's without looking at all the facts- which you didn't. You also failed to leave out the other 30 teams in the NFL in order to see how the statistics fare overall.

In other words, this is a completely unfair and totally inaccurate post that should probably be deleted outright.

Ok well you DID forget about McMichael. And you also forgot about Morlon Greenwood.

McMichael and Chambers have the look of stars. Todd Wade is going to get a pretty good contract from SOMEONE (don't know if it will be us). Morlon Greenwood is a starter. Seth McKinney, only a matter of time. Arturo Freeman also, only a matter of time. Don't forget Adewale Ogunleye. We signed him as an undrafted FA, but thats the same as drafting him cuz we did all the legwork researching the kid and would have drafted him had we had an inkling that he was rising on some boards.

Here's the list of guys still with the team drafted since Dave joined the team...

RB Leonard Henry
RB Travis Minor
*WR Chris Chambers
WR Sam Simmons
WR J.R. Tolver
TE Donald Lee
*TE Randy McMichael
C Seth McKinney
G Billy Yates
T Greg Jerman
*T Wade Smith
*T Todd Wade
G Taylor Whitley
DE Otis Grigsby
*DE Adewale Ogunleye
*LB Morlon Greenwood
LB Eddie Moore
LB Corey Jenkins
LB Tommy Hendricks
CB Jamar Fletcher
S Arturo Freeman
S Trent Gamble

For arguments sake I guess we'll look at the Titans, even though they've had some pretty good drafts I'd say better than average...

QB Jason Gesser
RB Chris Brown
RB Dwone Hicks
WR Eddie Berlin
WR Justin McCareins
WR Tyrone Calico
WR Darrell Hill
WR Jake Schifino
TE Erron Kinney
*TE Shad Meier
*G Justin Hartwig
G Todd Williams
T Matt Martin
DE Carlos Hall
*DT Albert Haynesworth
DT Rien Long
*DT Robaire Smith
*LB Rocky Boiman
*LB Rocky Calmus
*LB Keith Bulluck
LB Peter Sirmon
LB Ray Wells
*CB Tony Beckham
CB Andre Woolfork
*CB Andre Dyson
DB Donnie Nickey
*S Tank Williams

They have 27 players on their roster they drafted since 2000, we have 22. Thats not a terribly big difference. They have 10 starters they drafted since 2000, we have 6. That goes along the lines of what I was saying about the Titans having good drafts since 2000 and starting their players in-house...that 10 players drafted since 2000, thats higher than the league average I'm sure of it. The league average I'm sure is more along the lines of our 6 players starting (with McKinney on the brink).

Ok so lets dwindle down the list of starters and label the IMPACT guys, you know the ones that could end up in a Pro Bowl sometime (if not already).

Keith Bulluck
Albert Haynesworth
Andre Dyson
MAYBE Tank Williams

For us?

Chris Chambers
Randy McMichael
Todd Wade
Adewale Ogunleye

You know what? I'd say we're doing pretty well over here.

Oh yeah, one more thing to drive the point home...

Ya gotta have ammunition to get good drafts. Since 2000, the Titans have had 3 first round picks, 3 second round picks, and 5 third round picks. They've used those picks to attain guys like Haynesworth (Rd 1), Bulluck (Rd 1), Tank Williams (Rd 2), Rocky Calmus (Rd 3), Shad Meier (Rd 3), and Erron Kinney (Rd 3).

Since 2000, the Dolphins have had ONE first round pick, 3 second round picks, and 6 third round picks. They've turned those picks into guys like Todd Wade, Seth McKinney, Morlon Greenwood, Chris Chambers, and Travis Minor.

I think you're just WAY the heck off base here man. The Dolphins in general have good solid drafts. They've gotten 4 guys since 2000 in Ogun, Chambers, McMike, and Wade that are highly respected in the league right now.

Here's an open question.

Randy McMichael, Chris Chambers, Adewale Ogunleye, and Todd Wade

vs.

Keith Bulluck, Andre Dyson, Albert Haynesworth, and Tank Williams.

Top 4 vs Top 4. Which basket of players would YOU take?

i 2001- Chambers is the payoff pick. Minor still looks he was picked way too darn high. Yes he is versatile but a 3rd rounder? We could of gotten him way later. Greenwood solid player.

when are you are talking two years ago, why does it matter what round he is taken?

Add Ricky Williams to the equation.

Also be reminded we pick at the ends of each rounds every year.

Hitting home runs on guys like Chambers, McMichael, and what appears to be Wade Smith, without first rounds picks shows a good eye for talent.

We've had some busts, but I have faith in Wannspeil.

We've also been afforded the ability to draft alot more developmental type players through the last 4 years.

Leonard Henry and JR Tolver to me a GREAT picks!

This thread will have to go down as one of the biggest "swing and a miss..." threads ever. Normally at least one misguided person will agree but, in this case, not even the misguided are willing to jump on board.

P.S. I'll take our "top four" over the Titans "top four" any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Not much else to say except, I believe Simmons could be doing the same job the Charlie Rogers is doing and Tolver could probably start in DT's place with no downgrade and maybe an upgrade in performance.

You have to take in consideration too that there hasn't been many open jobs the last few years.

When we had some holes we went to free agency before the draft. For example we had Bowens and Gardener at DT. We let go Gardener and signed Chester.

Players love Miami and want to stay or want to sign there.

Yeah, we're getting contribution from our picks, the really odd thing to me is that the only first round pick we have currently contributing is Tim Bowens from '94. However, as Muck astutely pointed out, we really haven't had that many first round picks over the last few years because of FA trades and draft day trades.

Originally posted by Expo88
This thread will have to go down as one of the biggest "swing and a miss..." threads ever. Normally at least one misguided person will agree but, in this case, not even the misguided are willing to jump on board.

P.S. I'll take our "top four" over the Titans "top four" any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Have you ever had a thought on your mind and just wanted to talk about it?

Yes, he took a "swing" but I'm not so sure he "missed". Take a look at the great responses he got other than the "jabs" you are throwing at him.

To look at it from another angle, comparing success in the draft to success in free agency is like comparing success in the stock market with success in buying a used car.

In one situation, you have to rely on a lot of abstract information, and its often an educated crap shoot.

In the other, you have an actual track record to look and get the chance to see how it actually performs on the road.

the biggest surprise to me

was chambers. i don't follow college ball so it they aren't playing the canes, chances are i never heard of em! i usually have to wait after the rookie year to make an evaluation. the jury is in on fletcher, he's another jerry wilson, only he gets paid more!:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom