Exploding NFL QB Salaries | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Exploding NFL QB Salaries

What part was I wrong about?

Rising salaries are a valid topic. I have argued myself that cap increases keep pace with, and actually drive, salary increases.

This is actual relevant, historical data about the situation.

I enjoy cap/ contract discussions. Not everyone does. Would yet another Tua pissing match be interesting or enjoyable? Not to me, but there are already multiple threads where that takes place.

What part was I wrong about?

Rising salaries are a valid topic. I have argued myself that cap increases keep pace with, and actually drive, salary increases.

This is actual relevant, historical data about the situation.

I enjoy cap/ contract discussions. Not everyone does. Would yet another Tua pissing match be interesting or enjoyable? Not to me, but there are already multiple threads where that takes place.
maybe i am misreading, but key data point to the article is the QB salaries are increasing at a much higher rate than the cap is increasing. QBs are taking up a higher and higher share of the cap. it is fascinating. i really think it comes down to a business issue. like you said before, if you were in the desert and dying of thirst, with no water, how much would you pay for a sip? my response is the result is teams are now paying the same for a teaspoon of water than they would for a barrel of water. no choice i guess if the teaspoon still saves your life. for NFL teams, save your life means having a respectable and entertaining product on the field as opposed to being terrible. i think that is sufficient for a lot of teams and that is part of why we are where we are in the league. these are business decisions. for example, now even matthew stafford is holding out for a new deal. he is already well paid and under contract. he has not been great, and has been hurt, the last 2 years. yet he thinks he should get a raise, and the rams will probably cave.

This is a misleading because Brady took less than what he was really worth when he was with NE and KC won a SB with Mahomes on his rookie deal.
I don't know the parameters of Brady's Tampa deal, but this suggests he also took a team friendly deal there too when they won in 2020.
What this does indicate to me is your best window is to draft the right QB and win one when he's still on a rookie contract pay scale which kind of countervails Chris Grier's 6 season re-build.
i agree with the concluding point. best chance is really good QB on rookie deal. in fact the last 3 sbs, the opposing team had the QB on the rookie deal . 2 of 3 were lost (but very close) in part because Mahomes (the one guy that seems to be able to carry the team) was on the other side. interestingly, the third SB was lost to the Rams, but they were all in and the way they had it structured, Stafford was only 7pct of the cap then. rams did a really nice job. that gm is very good. smartly went all in, and won. then blew the thing up, and 2 years later had them back to being pretty good again.

A lot of proposals make sense on the surface.

Then when I start thinking about the actual mechanics of how that would work, how that would affect players' leverage in FA negotiations, selling it to the NFLPA, the convoluted legal language that would have to be written in the CBA, possible ensuing legal challenges, etc., it seem like a lot of obstacles.
i agree it is complicated. that is what the big boys are paid to figure out. first question is does the NFL care or not? i do not know. they may not care, because it leads to more parity, which they seem to love. i do not like parity. i am fine with a few great teams. if they do care, there is probably a way to get there. NBA has a max % of cap for example. nfl would probably have to phase it in over a period of years somehow, because QBs already have deals above the threshold. legal issues are easy to get around because they are collectively bargained with the players union. so as long as players agree, they can do it. this is in the best interest of players, and there are many more non QBs than there are QBs. so as long as no change to the total cap and the rate at which the cap increases, this would spread more money to players at other positions. so it seems the players should vote for this type of thing as well. the thing i do find fascinating is this whole issue never comes up. so maybe the nfl does not care. i am surprised the players dont care, but they may perversely believe higher QB salaries are good for them, because it increases the umbrella. that is of course BS, but they may believe that. the thing that increases the umbrella is the players share of total revenue and the rate at which the cap increases, and the % of the cap teams are forced to spend. that is what players should negotiate for. if i was a running back, i can't be happy about the QB salaries. anyway, end of day, we are not hearing a peep about this issue, so it oddly seems neither the NFL nor the players care, which surprises me.

Last edited:
Interesting article. If no team has won the Super Bowl with a QB taking up over 14% of the cap, that basically takes you to Baker Mayfield (13%) and Geno Smith (11%) before you hit the rookies and backups. The NFL is flooded with bad QB contracts. Murray (22%), Watson (22%) and Daniel Jones (17%) just jump off the page at you. I doubt we will see a change in this, since the last 10 Super Bowls have been won by Tom Brady 4x, Patrick Mahomes 3x, Peyton Manning 1x, Carson Wentz 1x and Matthew Stafford 1x.

The highest paid player in the league has won 3 of the last 5 Super Bowl and been to 4 of the last 5, and he's due to get a raise again.

At the end of the day the exact salary of the QB doesn't really matter that much in the context of the whole team. You need to be able to draft well in order to compete. You're not going to go from Super Bowl contender to middle of the pack because you lost a pro bowl DT or OG in FA.

The cap itself has exploded and there is plenty of money to go around, you just need to plan ahead for inevitable departures.

Mahomes will be making $75M a year pretty soon so if Tua is making $20M less, I am not going to fret about it as if it's some kind of detriment to the team. It is what it is, QB's aren't just football players, they are on field CEO's. And the league has made the position even more valuable with all the rule changes.

If you don't consistently hit on your high draft picks, that's when the cap becomes an issue because you have to supplement your misses with FA's.

If the Dolphins win a Super Bowl or even get to it, it'll be because of Tua Tagovailoa. If he's making $55M or $48M, it's not really significant to the equation.

You choose which players you can't live without, you pay them and the rest can go sign big deals with bad teams. The key to the whole equation is the draft, always has been, always will be.

Last edited:
Who said I wanted to avoid an argument? It's at least part of reason I come here, I love explaining to people why they're wrong
Doesn't it get old after 500 times of the same argument with the same ppl?

Regardless, argue away, but like I said, there are many threads for "Tua arguments". That is not the subject of this one.

Interesting article. If no team has won the Super Bowl with a QB taking up over 14% of the cap, that basically takes you to Baker Mayfield (13%) and Geno Smith (11%) before you hit the rookies and backups. The NFL is flooded with bad QB contracts. Murray (22%), Watson (22%) and Daniel Jones (17%) just jump off the page at you. I doubt we will see a change in this, since the last 10 Super Bowls have been won by Tom Brady 4x, Patrick Mahomes 3x, Peyton Manning 1x, Carson Wentz 1x and Matthew Stafford 1x.

Nick Foles......officially, for the Eagles.

It's the "Dan Marino" syndrome all over again, the QB takes up so much cap space that the team can't remain competitive. My brother hates DM with a passion because of that situation, all those wasted years.

Nick Foles......officially, for the Eagles.
Forgot about that! The Giants are a good example. Daniel Jones puts up 1 decent year and he gets 4/$160m. What was the alternative for them? Try again with a first round pick in the twenties who probably would have been Will Levis? Teams are stuck between a rock and a hard place when it comes to the QB position, there just really isn't an alternative to paying the guy. If you acknowledge that Daniel Jones isn't the answer and you move on from him, you have to draft a QB the next year. Developing the guy could take time and result in losses. Ultimately the coach and GM might not be the beneficiary of the draft/development of the QB as ownership decides to move on after a down year or two. Business/ self preservation considerations go into this.

Forgot about that! The Giants are a good example. Daniel Jones puts up 1 decent year and he gets 4/$160m. What was the alternative for them? Try again with a first round pick in the twenties who probably would have been Will Levis? Teams are stuck between a rock and a hard place when it comes to the QB position, there just really isn't an alternative to paying the guy. If you acknowledge that Daniel Jones isn't the answer and you move on from him, you have to draft a QB the next year. Developing the guy could take time and result in losses. Ultimately the coach and GM might not be the beneficiary of the draft/development of the QB as ownership decides to move on after a down year or two. Business/ self preservation considerations go into this.
this goes back to the point about the excessive amount of leverage QBs seem to now have. it really is amazing

I wonder how much the WR and DT salaries are taking up as well these days
i dunno, but i am stunned by some of the DT salaries as a pct of the cap. they do seem to have gone up a fair bit recently - i would love that actual data too. the WR salaries i understand a bit better, consistent with QBs, this is what the NFL has become.

Back
Top Bottom