Fiedler's fee | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fiedler's fee

PatsWin2002

Bringin' it!
Reaction score
http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/6782262

Fiedler's fee

If Brian Griese steps up Monday night when the Dolphins take on the Chargers, it could spell a difficult road ahead for incumbent Jay Fiedler. Judging by the terms of his contract, a bonus coming this offseason could prevent the Dolphins from keeping him aboard under the current rate.

SportsLine.com has learned that, on April 15, the Dolphins must pick up a $2 million option bonus for their starting quarterback or release him to prevent the hit. In addition, his salary for 2004 jumps to $3.7 million.

Miami protected itself with the structure. If Fiedler didn't play lights-out, they have sufficient cap reasons to release or redo him. If he suddenly turned into a Pro Bowl quarterback, they would have him at a rate Fiedler and the team would likely find quite acceptable.

Originally posted by PatsWin2002
If he suddenly turned into a Pro Bowl quarterback, they would have him at a rate Fiedler and the team would likely find quite acceptable.

Of course then he'd have to worry about the monkeys. You know, the ones flying out of my butt.

I thought we knew about this stuff we he signed the deal. I was always under the impression that it was essentially a 2-year deal with big escalators coming after the second year.

I think SportsLine was about a year and a half behind the curve on this one.

Originally posted by PatsWin2002
http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/6782262

Fiedler's fee

SportsLine.com has learned that, on April 15, the Dolphins must pick up a $2 million option bonus for their starting quarterback or release him to prevent the hit. In addition, his salary for 2004 jumps to $3.7 million.

It's about time SportsLine learned about this since the contract was signed in Feb. 2002.

The $2M option bonus is to exercise the option on the contract’s fifth year, the 2006 season. They don't have to pay the bonus or release him and he will still be signed to 2005.

This is a surprise to no one but Sports Line. It has been discussed on this board many times.

as of today, both Griese and Fiedler are not worth their 2004 contracts: Jay because he does not play 16 games a season as a starter and Griese because he is NOT a starter

Back
Top Bottom