Fielder's Future | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fielder's Future

Sholud Fiedler stay or go????

• Yes

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • No

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Depends on if he contributed to the win.

Votes: 13 41.9%

• Total voters

PhinPhreak

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
If the Fins wn the SB (or should I say when the Fins win the SB :D) We all know Jay's salary jumps next year so given that,

Here's the question for the poll

Would it be wrong to cut Fiedler in favor of Griese to save money?

Last edited by a moderator:
not sure how to vote...but i would say that if he does well then the team will probably ask him to restructure or extend to reduce the impact of his contract. personally, i think if (when) the phins win, if he has been productive then he should stay.

If I'm not mistaken(which would be a first or second) isnt Fiedler's contract one of those contracts that he will obviously never see all of the money??? Its a very tough question, if u look at the Raven s they didnt have a viable replacement for Dilfer. But if Griese has a year in our system, do u let him go after 1 year to start elsewhere?? Its a tough question, I know at first I'd say cut Fiedler after this year, but when u really think about it, its a very tough decision.

I don't see how we dump him if he plays well and we win the big one.

If they don't win the SB then I think it goes without question that there needs to be a change, but then again we are assuming Brian would resign.

I say if Fielder don't win..go out and find a good QB, Brian wouldn't be the answer either..

If the question is whether or not it's wrong to cut Fiedler regardless of the outcome next season... I vote NO - it doesn't matter, he will be cut - or re-negotiated, or whatever... He is NOT an impact player no matter how you look at it. It will come down to the defense, the OL, and Ricky. Fiedler is like Trent Dilfer - you will look to him to not turn the ball over and that's about it. You will not look to him to make plays. Therefore, he is not worth the money he is due to make next year regardless.

Brian has had his problems. His shoulder got hurt 3 years in a row. And he got benched last year. But he did complete 67% of his passes and had over 3200 yards in 13 games last year.

Lets hope he can get back to that 2000 Pro Bowl form. He only played in 9 games that year (threw two passes in a 10th). And he played with thru that shoulder injury for most of those games. But his stats were spectacular:

9 Games: 64.3%...2,688 yds....19 TDs...4 INTs...102.9 QB rating.

OUTSTANDING

EDIT: He also had 102 yds and 1 TD on the ground. :up:

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by MDFINFAN
I say if Fielder don't win..go out and find a good QB, Brian wouldn't be the answer either..

Then what? Let Jay go and Brian signs with another team and we have Sage and a New guy?
Not on a team that's this close.

Jay will probably restructure unless some viable replacement becomes available. I know people are starting to dream about Peyton Manning, but realistically, it's hard to get your hands on a decent QB. That's part of the reason all these d**m Jay Fiedler threads appear. Not good enough to make you love him but too hard to replace.

Jay will probably have to restructure after this year because his cap hit will just be too high next season.

Griese's going to want the same money Fiedler's scheduled to get if he stays in Miami. If Fiedler wins a SB, at least you know already he's capable of it. Might as well spend that money on Jay.

What I Like About Jay :
================
He's a very dedicated player. He's got a winner mentality. He's always giving 110%, and he's humble. He's very competitive, and he's not afraid to take a one for the team {Raiders game}.....

What I Dislike About Jay :
=================
His accuracy isn't good. He's semi-injury prone. His deep ball is weak, and his decision making at times is questionable. His arm strength is also very average.....
==============================================

All in all, Jay is what I consider a "safe QB". IMO, he would be a very good back-up QB, but as a starter, he seems to lack that special something that most starting QB's have.

I trust Jay most of the time when he drops back, but under heavy pressure, he sometimes makes the wrong decisions. He makes the wrong reads, and throws into double coverage quite a bit.....

As a back-up, he'd be one of the best in the NFL IMO. As a starter, he's merely borderline average.....

I'm hoping that once QB B. Griese learns the offensive system, and gets comfortable enough to take over the starting position{2004}, that Jay will take the back-up role in stride, and be satisfied staying there. He's a good QB, and he's certainly worth keeping if he'll accept a back-up role in 2004......

Ofcourse, he'll also need to take a reduction in pay as our back-up, which could cause him to seek a starting position elsewhere.....

PHINZ RULE!!!!:cap:

After this year, Jay restructures or he's cut...bottom line. What he would restructure TO would be determined by how well he and the team do. If we make it to the AFC Championships and Jay puts up numbers like those he put up in the first 5 games last year, he'll still get a nice payday....but under no circumstances does he see the money he's scheduled to be payed right now.

Back
Top Bottom