Figuring everything out.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Figuring everything out....

The Beach Bum

Communication Artist, DSOA, WPB.FL
Reaction score
Everyone..... i know that the past few days have been devestating, but these are just petty little things that will hopefully not have too much effect on anyone..... Gardner being released was a good thing, it helped our chemestry as a team ALOT. Everyone hated Daryl from what i hear and we want to be like other SB teams and have good chemestry. The pats didnt have a sb team, but they still won becasue of chemestry. Rodgers is a good man, but made a huge mistake. Everyone makes them and now that he is released (from jail), i easilly see him playing next to Zach this season with only having to go to NFL permitted rehab centers once and a while. Jay is absolutly fine. He is expected to most likely play the first snap of camp. Camp is less than ten days away, but the surgery is already 8 days old, and he is walking without a cringe. He is a warrior and we can trust him.

All in all, Wanny and Speil know what they are doing, they are smart buisness/sports minded men and i would take their decisions over what to do with this football team over anyone elses. We can argue about everything. We can say that "Jay stinks", or "We are going down the drain because of these releases lately." But we should really keep our mouths shut and know that they know what they are doing and we dont. It is their job, let them do it.

Also, the addition of Ricky makes the whole offseason worthwhile. In improving the O, we improve the D. That makes our D better with or without Gardner, Walker, or Mixon/Bromell.
(Rodgers is most likely playing)

As long as we keep our core of all stars together we will be fine.
(Zach, Jason, Brock, Sam, Pat) it is better than most Defenses and im fine with it.

I also have a question. Is there any way we can get around paying 6 million for Gardner?

Last edited by a moderator:
theres no way we can get around the $6m cap hit next year...they wil have to restructure some contracts next year...i believe you are right about everything else, theres no reason to panic... i think that this years team may rely more on the offense than the defense to win games...

Rodgers will not miss a snap. Bank on it.

That cap space really makes it imperative that we win it all this year. This is likely our last chance.

Originally posted by Miamian
That cap space really makes it imperative that we win it all this year. This is likely our last chance.

I agree with a lot of your posts Miamian, but this time I have to disagree with you. This is far from our last chance. Although the chances of winning a Super Bowl with this core is becoming more narrow, it is not the last chance. The cap hit that we will absorb next year from Gardner will hurt, but with Wann-Spiel working the front office, they will minimize the effect the way they've been doing it the last two years. We have a great front office, and they have always done a helluva job keeping our Fins competitive. The players know we are close, and they will willingly re-structure contracts if need be to help the team. The only casualty I see coming next year will be T-Bo. As much as he loves being with Miami and I love having him on the team, if he is not willing to re-structure again, he will be playing for another team. What helps with that situation is we are loaded at that position.

I hope you're right FinaticalOne. If this helps us win the Super Bowl within the next five years, then by all means PLEASE remind me of this thread.

It is good to note that the $6 million of deadweight because of Daryl's release is a glass half empty vs half full argument.

Yes, we now have $6 million worth of cap money designated for a player no longer on the roster. But, yes we've also now saved $3 million of cap money for THIS season.

Had we kept Daryl Gardener for this season then released him right after the season, which was very very likely, we would have also had $6 million of deadweight on the 2004 cap.

Had we kept Daryl Gardener for this season then released him after June 1st 2003, which is also a very likely possibility, we would have about $2 million of deadweight in 2003, and another $4 million deadweight in 2004 when the cap figures of our prominent guys like Thomas, Madison, Surtain, Bowens, Rodgers, and Fiedler would start to hurt us most...and that extra $4 million to DG is exactly what we DONT need with all the other high salaries crowding out our cap space.

Had we KEPT Daryl Gardener for this year AND next year....his 2003 cap figure would have been about $7 or $8 million. So in actuality, cutting him now SAVES us $1 or $2 million on the 2003 cap. The only criticism is that people just wish it would save us more than that. Well, like I said, glass half empty, half full.

Had we kept Daryl Gardener for this season then released him right after the season, which was very very likely, we would have also had $6 million of deadweight on the 2004 cap

Should read, 2003 cap not 2004 cap.

"Had we KEPT Daryl Gardener for this year AND next year....his 2003 cap figure would have been about $7 or $8 million. So in actuality, cutting him now SAVES us $1 or $2 million on the 2003 cap."

This is the way I see it also. As long as the Dolphins were already under next year's cap, and I believe they are, then that $6 mil. cap hit is already more than accounted for. The only trouble is, it's dead weight, but no additional cuts will have to be made to cover it.

Like I said half empty half full. Its still deadweight. However we're still carrying about $2 or $3 million of deadweight from DG in THIS year's salary cap so its all kinda relative.

I agree that there is absolutely no reason to panick at this point in the [off] season; it's just way to early to run scared. I do have one comment on Finatical's statement that: "The players know we are close, and they will willingly re-structure contracts if need be to help the team." This is true, and has been true for the past couple of years, but if something doesn't happen this year (at least a good AFC Championship showing- blowouts don't count) then I believe a lot of these loyal players, who've felt the 'Fins are on the verge the past couple of seasons, will lose faith and opt to jump ship rather than take the pay cuts by restructuring their contracts.

While I'm not complaining about making it to the playoffs five years in a row, things just can't keep going the way they've been; it's too emotionally draining on both the players and the fans.

Things can keep going this way as long as they can as far as I'm concerned. I dont give a rats @ss about anything being too emotionally draining. Try being a fan of a team with a losing season, one who goes into the season pretty much knowing there's no way in heck they'll win the super bowl. The players aren't going to jump ship if we dont make the super bowl thats a ridiculous notion. But we shouldn't expect them to sacrifice a bunch of their money either because in the end practically no player is willing to sacrifice a significant portion of their money for their team to get the chance to win the super bowl.

Restructure? Heck players practically JUMP at the chance because it almost always entails making part or all of their salary guaranteed. Notice how agents fight tooth and nail for a large signing bonus? Think along those lines...a team asking you to restructure is like a team asking you if its ok for them to give you a bigger signing bonus. DUH!

Paycut...thats different and I guarantee nobody will be asked to take a paycut on the team just to help them win the super bowl. They take a paycut because their services are no longer worth their cap figure, the team knows it and the player knows it, and the player ALSO knows that the team will cut his @ss if he doesn't take the paycut. Then the player hits free agency and gets the vet minimum or way less than he was getting because there's obviously a REASON why everyone knows the player's services are no longer worth his cap figure.

Back
Top Bottom