Figuring out Ricky's salary | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Figuring out Ricky's salary

byroan said:
Do you have any players you think would qualify as being a great #2 RB? In this situation, do you consider T. Henry?

Henry would qualify, but I'm trying to avoid players that are on the cusp of being cut or dealt. My theory is, take the highest paid #2 RB and add some incentives, and you have a good benchmark for Ricky's salary.

CrunchTime said:
Ricky will probably play for the minimum or somewhere around the million range but I am sure his contract will be heavily incentive based and I am sure it will include some clauses that will reduce or eliminate his debt to the club.

The original contract assumed he would be the feature back which he will not be when he gets back.He will miss one fourth of the season to start with.By then we shoud have a pretty solid running game established with our other backs.Its most likely they will ease Ricky in and that would be another four games before he becomes a feature back again.Thats half the season.
I'd definitely say thats the best way to go.

This is simple, Ricky still owes the Dolphins 8.6M and he is under contract for the next three years and his salary is 3.7M a year ...

(3.7M * 3) minus 8.6M = that's 800K a year ....

Let's give him 1M a year plus incentive to be nice....

dean_siu said:
Thats exactly why I advocated trading Ronnie.....it just doesn't make sense to pay a back that much money when he'll probably get 150 or less carries for the entire season. He's an unproven prospect that still has value and we'd be wise to cash in on it now.

I'll say this much for you dean, you never fail to get a chuckle out of me :lol:

Dolphalou said:
This is simple, Ricky still owes the Dolphins 8.6M and he is under contract for the next three years and his salary is 3.7M a year ...

(3.7M * 3) minus 8.6M = that's 800K a year ....

Let's give him 1M a year plus incentive to be nice....
Ok, then does he still owe the 8.6M? Or are you saying pay him 1M a year and then he does not have to owe the team anything?

I was thinking more along the lines... pay him 1M a year, but that is his money and the debt will be decreasing by 1M a year also. So in equivalent he is basically making 2M a year. If he stays with the team for 2 years, we can redo his contract. OR have escalator (sp?) clauses by measureables.

If he play three years at that salary, he doesn't owe us anything.

i only envision ricky playing 2 years....

pay him 1 mil a year and wash away the debt...

I do not think Ricky will go for incentives knowing that he will not be the featured back, unless the incentives are easily attainable.

I also doubt this will reach arbitration.

I feel this has "renegotiate contract" written all over it. The fact of the matter is we have the legal right to try to recoup the 8.6 mil that was awarded to us. Also, if Ricky can return to form, I see him as the #1 RB ending the season.

Ricky also stated that he has 2 years left in him. Personally, I would take advantage of those 2 years and bring Ronnie to speed slowly. I know we are paying Ronnie a jumbo price by taking him at #2, but if we can add life to his NFL career by having him split carries 50/50 with Ricky, then that would make sense to me.

Ricky WAS underpaid 2 years ago, but after he quit, there is no way we are paying him his old salary. We dont know what he is worth right now, we have no idea if he is still a 2000 yard back or if he is a career backup now. He isnt even up to his playing weight.

Ricky's new contract is going to be extremely incentive laden. Personally, I think he is going to be playing under a cheap contract and then allowed to keep the entire 8.6 million cash.

I wouldnt pay him like a starter, but I would definately pay him more than the best #2 backup in the NFL. I think around a million a year for 2-3 years and letting him keep his 8.6 million is very fair for both sides.

When renegotiating contracts, we just cant see things from the side of the organization, we also need to look from the players perspective. I think 2-3 years around 1 million a year and being able to keep all of his 8.6 mil would be neutral grounds.

dean_siu said:
Get real....to pay Ricky like a second string running back would make this organization look foolish. In the final 12 games, Ricky will definitely be getting at least 70% of the carries and there's no way he should be paid any less than what his existing contract calls for in 2005. (If anything, he should be given a raise as his current pay is too low).

No disrespect but your NUTS!
He will miss the 1st 4 games (not the dolphins fault)
The dolphins didn't retire on HIM
he's not in playing shape
he isn't THAT ricky anymore(rushing leader)
He's got something to prove, not us(dolphins)

I say new contract, vet minimum, we agree with 2 years service to write off his debt with us, and we load the contract with incentives (2000 total yards, 2 million dollar bonus, 1000 total yards, $750,000 bonus, etc.)

I think Ricky will play to pay what he owes and then quit again and make a fool of us again cuz nobody can control him or his way of thinking.We should pay him stickly on performance and nothing else,take it or leave it!

I think it is highly unlikely that the contract issue hasn't been discussed between the Dolphins and Ricky. A player just doesn't show up without some type of financial agreement. Whatever it is, it looks like both parties can live with it.

DrAstroZoom said:
Has anyone been able to find out what the hghest #2 salary is?

I would guess Travis Henry at 1.2 million this year. I cant think of anyone else in the NFL who has a higher RB but I didnt check every team... just off the top of my head.

Jerome Bettis makes 1.2mil this year also BTW.

Therefore I will go back to my original post, paying Ricky around 1 million a year for 2-3 years and letting him keep his 8.6 million sounds like a good deal from both POV's.

I've said this in other posts and I'll say it again. I think that this will go to arbitration...IMO, Ricky has much less to lose than the Fins if it does. If an arbitor rules in Ricky's favor, the Fins will most likely have to cut him...The Fins could go after the money, but lets face it, Ricky would just file for bankruptcy and all that would go away. If the arbitor rules with Miami, Ricky holds out, files for BK and essentially becomes a free agent. It is only really in the Fins best interest to renegotiate or get creative with the cap.

The Fins will never see a cent of that judgement and I, personally, don't see the judgement coming into play where his contract is concerned. If anything, they throw in some language that says in X amount of years or after comlpetion of this contract, the judgement is forgiven. It won't have any bearing on the amount that Ricky will be paid as collecting on that judgement is at the sole discretion of the Fins and they know what Ricky's options are.

At this point, Ricky deserves no more than a mil a year with a BUNCH of incentives. Also, I think he can forget about a signing bonus...nothing guaranteed as far as I'm concerned.

Back
Top Bottom