Film Room: Derwin James - The Ultimate Hybrid Defender | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Film Room: Derwin James - The Ultimate Hybrid Defender

I think when people hear "hybrid" they tend to worry about what the player CAN'T do and that's why I cringe when I see Derwin James described as a hybrid.

I cringe because it's not necessary to think of him that way. He's a player best described by all the things he CAN do, not the things he CAN'T do...because honestly, I'm not sure Florida State ever found anything he couldn't do really, really, really well. Ever.

I think when people hear "hybrid" they tend to worry about what the player CAN'T do and that's why I cringe when I see Derwin James described as a hybrid.

I cringe because it's not necessary to think of him that way. He's a player best described by all the things he CAN do, not the things he CAN'T do...because honestly, I'm not sure Florida State ever found anything he couldn't do really, really, really well. Ever.
Agreed 100%

If James makes it to #11, I think he could definitely be the best player available. Not sure if Miami would take him, though.

I have to wonder if Mayfield, Rudolph or Jackson are in play. How serious is Miami about the quarterback position?

I think he's a monster. A giant chess piece.

I guess theres the thought Fitzpatrick could be better as a "true FS" and thats fine but ck has instilled some new faith in me James could do that too, and he has size to cover TEs and also blast people. I think they are both going to be good and would be happy with either

Florida State's DC had no idea how to use him. He also had no idea how to use Jalen Ramsey for reference.

If James can stay healthy, he's going to be really good.

I think Minkah fits the bill as a true F/S in our D, which is what we really need...we already have 2 "hybrid" type safetys on the team, please don't draft a third...he could be a special player, but if we go F/S at 11 I hope its Minkah over him....and a lot of that has to do with how the chips fall and our intentions with TJ playing more LB

My problem is, would Miami's defensive staff be smart enough and creative enough to utilize him the right way.

If you look at two years ago when Minkah was moved to safety, he hauled in 6 picks and returned two for TD's. We have been missing a ball hawk for a LONG time.

Back
Top Bottom