Final Thoughts on the Season | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Final Thoughts on the Season

PhinKev

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I've been mostly lurking for the last couple of years, but I thought I'd breakdown my observations having watched every minute of every game this year.

Tannehill: He does some things really well. He has a big arm. Seam passes and the deep out are his best throws. What concerns me is that he throws a lousy over the top ball. Anything he has to drop into the receiver is just not there. Whether it is the deep ball or even a shorter pass, he just doesn't seem to have that touch. It is pretty disappointing when you watch RG3 and Russell Wilson do it so well. I suppose fairness requires us to point out the window with our receivers is never all that big, but still its been there at times and he has missed it almost every time. He does have good feet, and its only year one.

O-Line: Is an embarrassment to football. I just watched a blitzing CB bull rush our left tackle of the future and sack our QB. Let me say that again. A CB blitz, the left tackle saw the blitz and was overpowered. Nate Garner would be one of the worst RT I have every seen, but I did see Marc Columbo last year. Richie Incognito isn't so much bad as he is limited with the agility of of a turtle. John Jerry? At times I almost believe he can play, then he reminds me that he can't. I know it is not popular to criticize Pouncy. He is not bad. But, I refuse to praise him like so many here want to do. Is he solid? Yes. He is also very agile for his size, can get to the second level and makes good choices on double teams and reading the DL. But, he does get overpowered by the bigger and stronger D-tackles. He also doesn't dominate on the run block like a Dwight Stevenson. I think he is fine, but all the praise seems much to me. If he were blowing holes in the DL, I'd praise him too, but I don't see that in his play.

WR/TE: What really needs to be said here anymore. I have finally given up on Marlon Moore. He had his shot. Binns? Sigh. Hartline is ok. Bess is good in the slot. The rest I don't even want to remember. Fasano is a decent NFL TE. No real speed, and inconsistent hands, but he can block a little.

RB: I really want to like Reggie Bush and he is sure great every now and then. BUt, he's not my kind of running back. I want a guy that gets a yard or two after contact, especially with our OL. Bush does try to hit it up between the tackles, but he just doesn't move a pile. I was reminded that small backs can do that when we were again embarrassed by CJ Spiller. But, Reggie Bush is just not that guy. With that said, I wouldn't really complain to see him back. For all the bad press he gets, the man has been a leader and he certainly gives his all on the field. Lamar Miller has nice running instincts.

DL: They have actually been pretty good this year. You can't throw out the whole year because they were terrible in NE. Not great pass rushers except for Wake. Starks was surprisingly quiet this year. Odrick had moments, but not enough of them. I like Solia. Vernon showed some things. Loved the play with him running down Spiller all the way down field. That's a competitor. We could use a few more of them.

LB: Dansby was actually pretty good, as was Burnett. Both are good linebackers. The problem is we could use a great one. A guy that makes games changing plays. Neither really does that, but both are good players. Misi? Not much from him.

DBs: Actually held up better than I thought they would. Smith was the real disappointment. This was his year to prove he is a number 1. He is not. If someone offers him number 1 money he should take it and thank his lucky stars. Carrol was far better than I expected. Some good young players here. I thought Patterson was actually not bad in the brief tryout he had with us. WIsh as a group though they could intercept a pass or two. Jones got a lot of praise, and I think he deserved it. Had an excellent year.

ST: Mediocre. Except for the Jets game, the special times were not where they should be. Fields is an excellent punter. Might even be one of our best players.

Coaching: Every fan hates the play calling of their team, but I think Sherman is remarkably unimaginative. Watching New England and how they move the receivers around to create mismatches is depressing when you see how static we tend to be. We have Reggie Bush a great broken field runner, how many screen passes do you remember? I was curious how Philbin would prepare the team in a meaningless game. I wanted to see if he could motivate the team and get them playing good football to end the season. That was not a good sign. The team checked out pretty soon after kickoff. No fire. No pride. No self respect. That's sad.

GM: We spent 3 first rounders on the OL in recent memory (Carey, Long, Pouncy) and the OL is a mess of significant proportions. The offense lacks punch, the defense has almost no play makers. Not good.

So another season in the books. I'm not angry. I'm tired. I'm tired of waiting for this franchise to get its act together. Not only were we not a good team. We were not a fun team to watch. It is ugly football and losing football and its been that way for a while now. I'm getting tired of watching it.

We have an average team (7 wins). Nothing more, nothing less. This was a poor game to grade the team on. I too expected a better effort today, but was disappointed. I honestly thought this young team would throw caution to the wind and play loose and aggressive. The entire offense player poorly except for RT so its really hard to judge based on one game.
With the 0 degree wind chill, I think they just wanted to pack up and get back to So. Fla.

New Englands OC (forgot his name) is damn good. You can tell they looked at the tape of the last Fins game and solved every problem. I think Sheman may be past his prime. Falcons brought in new blood (yes they have talent too) and they are thriving. We need a young man with an imagination.

Good thoughts. I especially appreciated the summary of the offense. Post more often.

So another season in the books. I'm not angry. I'm tired. I'm tired of waiting for this franchise to get its act together. Not only were we not a good team. We were not a fun team to watch. It is ugly football and losing football and its been that way for a while now. I'm getting tired of watching it.

You summed it up beautifully.

Can't disagree much with the OP. Nice post.

I know Martin had some issues at LT today, but I do have hope for him, with an offseason in the weight room.

I don't think we fix this thing in one offseason. Too much to do. Need another pass rusher, corner, FS, OG, WR1, WR2, TE, and a couple of LB. When you squander so many high picks, this is what happens.

Amen. You nit the nail right on the head. Not only is it losing football, it is boring losing football. Is there no one in this front office who sees this and can fix this? Mr. Ross? Mr. Ross?

Is there a worse team in the whole league at running screen passes? Do we ever do any of the great variety of options well? Not only that, but every time we try, the D sniffs it out. Either we tip it off or we just have amazingly bad timing or luck. The Patriots run 20 different screens a game and every time we see it we're shocked like it's the first one ever run in the history of football. Our offense is 180 degrees the other way.
Here's another disconcerting thing about Sherman. If his offense was designed to help Tannehill adjust to the NFL, then who did that really help? Does that mean that RT only understands 75% of what other starting rookie QBs know? The offense made 'vanilla' look like rainbow sherbet, and we rarely fooled a defense, especially as the games wore on. But we had this maddening arrogance in saying "just because you know what we're running doesn't mean you can stop it". Well, they could and they did, most of the time.

I guess if we can improve personnel then that alone should be worth 3 more wins and a playoff berth. That still seems useless if our 'brain trust' is so outgunned vs the elite teams.
The Ravens fired Cam Cameron, and he, in that job, seemed WAY more competent than anyone we've had at the position in many years.
Has Sherman fallen behind, or was the team just so bereft of talent?
Can we ever really evaluate the talent if the planning sucks that bad? Or is it 'vice-versus'?

So you are telling me we have holes all over and still see progress in Ross eyes?

Martin has to be the weakest softest bitch I have ever seen. Since week 1 i have seen nothing but his fat ****ing ass on grass off a bull rush from players weighing 200 lbs to players weighing 290 lbs.

Season would have tasted a little better with a win today and making it to 500. It is painfully obvious we need playmakers to go along with the solid play of guys like Dansby and Pouncey. Problem is we have had a problem identifying these guys in both the draft and FA. Our best players are undrafted FA or from the Canadien league. This is the offseason to do it otherwise we will all be feeling a little more tired next year.

prize-worthy post bro. what would make Ross believe that he's got a guy in place that can field a team anything like what he saw on that turf in Foxboro Sunday, sometime in the next year, or even the next 2-3yrs… cause if the answer is no, then Ireland can't stay.

Back
Top Bottom