Fins didn't use the entire rookie pool | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fins didn't use the entire rookie pool

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet
Sorry Merman, signing bonuses to undrafted rookies do count towards rookie allocation.

D'oh, I forgot them BTW in my calculations :rofl:

I wasn't insinuating anything by the thread anyhoo

Yes, the term used is salary and signing bonus is part of salary.

I forgot them in my calculations too. :lol:

Other than the Spielman comments, I didn't either. If he wants to change business tactics fine. Just don't offer B.S. to justify it.

Originally posted by VanDolPhan
Like I said before. Making them sign 4 year deals wasn't because of the rookie pool. The NFL found a way to screw the rookies when the NFLPA was trying desperately to help out the vets.

Teams are beginning to realize that 3rd-7th rounders have no bargaining power. Look at Cleveland. They got most of those guys to sign 5 year deals. Expect to see quite the nasty battle between teams vs Agents/NFLPA next year. This is going to come to a head over the next couple years as teams try to push them into a 4 year standard and then a 5 year standard.

And I wish people would stop harping on OL depth. It's impossible to have depth everywhere in the modern NFL. Hell it should be celebrated that our only depth concerns lay in OT. If it shows to be a weakness in preseason games the waiver wire will be scouted and/or a trade will be worked out. Hell we got Sage for a 7th rounder with a couple weeks to go last year.

There's lack of good depth, and then there's lack of ANY depth. It's not even like we've got a guy who's 100% with no depth, we've got a guy who rarely makes it for 16 games with no depth. THAT'S why we should be nervous. We can put money down on the fact that SOMEBODY is going to be playing MArk Dixons position this season. Whether it's 2 games or 14, it WILL happen. The player who will be stepping into that role has not shown anyone any reason to believe that he can step into that role without a significant dropoff in ability, and ANY Phin fan looking at our team objectively HAS to be worried about that. That's not defeatism, that's reality. Hopefully those games where he plays come against teams with weak pass rushes/run D's, and/or come late in the season when he's developed further. But until we're shown to have at least a MODICUM of back-up behind Dixon, we should be worried.

We will sign a veteran Tackle a the end opf camp. Wann-Spiel have done an excellent job with the cap and they will pull something off.

Many people believed Tampa Bay had one of the worst OL's in football last season and look what happened to them. Even the guy we traded to them T Cornell Green who one analyst was quoted saying "he is a complete stiff" saw playing time. Its not like nobody is going to be out there.

Originally posted by Z28&dolfan
We will sign a veteran Tackle a the end opf camp. Wann-Spiel have done an excellent job with the cap and they will pull something off.

Many people believed Tampa Bay had one of the worst OL's in football last season and look what happened to them. Even the guy we traded to them T Cornell Green who one analyst was quoted saying "he is a complete stiff" saw playing time. Its not like nobody is going to be out there.

Other than Webb, I don't see a lot of talent left out there right now. LT is just one of those positions right now that's starving for talent. Teams over paid for the FA's at that position, and there isn't much left out there.

Hey Clump, most of the bonuses went to players that only signed one year contracts. Also undrafted rookies who receive bonuses count toward the rookie pool.

From the CBA.

* For purposes of the Entering Player Pool and a Team’s Rookie Allocation, amounts contracted to be paid to Drafted Rookies, and amounts in excess of the applicable Minimum Active/Inactive List Salary contracted to be paid to Undrafted Rookies pursuant to Article XVII, Section 4, shall be counted against the Entering Player Pool and a Team’s Rookie Allocation, whether or not the
amounts are actually paid, in the manner otherwise specified in the CBA.

*Side Letter 6/23/93: Sec. 7

My numbers have Miami spending $22 less than the assigned amount. Spielman was right when he said he didn't have any more money to spend on the rookies as there is no way he'd look like an idiot be leaving 17K on the table.

Originally posted by VanDolPhan
Like I said before. Making them sign 4 year deals wasn't because of the rookie pool. The NFL found a way to screw the rookies when the NFLPA was trying desperately to help out the vets.

Teams are beginning to realize that 3rd-7th rounders have no bargaining power. Look at Cleveland. They got most of those guys to sign 5 year deals. Expect to see quite the nasty battle between teams vs Agents/NFLPA next year. This is going to come to a head over the next couple years as teams try to push them into a 4 year standard and then a 5 year standard.

And I wish people would stop harping on OL depth. It's impossible to have depth everywhere in the modern NFL. Hell it should be celebrated that our only depth concerns lay in OT. If it shows to be a weakness in preseason games the waiver wire will be scouted and/or a trade will be worked out. Hell we got Sage for a 7th rounder with a couple weeks to go last year.

Excellent point about situation with depth on the team.. Miami may be the best sitauted team in the NFL when it comes to overall "depth".. The only problem is the O-line and some could argue the LB situation.. MArk Dixon did play the entire season last year and now that he's playing LT, I doubt he'll get injured even though anything can happen.. At LT, on run plays he'll be blocking LB's and/or DE's other than DT's that he had been blocking when he was a guard.. Playing LT is actuallly very good for Dixon is the fact that it will prolong his career and take an extra year off hof his pounding up in the middle of the O-line at Guard.. So just keep in mind the difference of pounding on the body it is from playing Guard and playing Tackle.. I for one believe Dixon will have a solid year and remain injury free.. Jamie Nails on the other hand is a huge question mark, Guard is a tough position to play and we do have good depth at Guard..

Originally posted by RUDEbyallMEANS

Excellent point about situation with depth on the team.. Miami may be the best sitauted team in the NFL when it comes to overall "depth".. The only problem is the O-line and some could argue the LB situation.. MArk Dixon did play the entire season last year and now that he's playing LT, I doubt he'll get injured even though anything can happen.. At LT, on run plays he'll be blocking LB's and/or DE's other than DT's that he had been blocking when he was a guard.. Playing LT is actuallly very good for Dixon in the fact that it will prolong his career and take an extra year off of his pounding up in the middle of the O-line at Guard.. So just keep in mind the difference of pounding on the body it is from playing Guard and playing Tackle.. I for one believe Dixon will have a solid year and remain injury free.. Jamie Nails on the other hand is a huge question mark, Guard is a tough position to play and we do have good depth at Guard..

Back
Top Bottom