"fins Up!" | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"fins Up!"

spiral

Starter
Reaction score
What does it mean and why are people saying it? More importantly though, why is it a thing?

The better question is who started it?

I feel like Kenny Stills and Bobby McCain were the first players to completely endorse it.

The better question is who started it?

I feel like Kenny Stills and Bobby McCain were the first players to completely endorse it.

No, it was way before Stills and McCain were on the team. I first started hearing the phrase (in relation with our Fins) when Jimmy Buffet (a close friend of Stephen Ross) became involved with the Fins back in 2009. The phrase derived from a Buffet song called, "Fins" which really was about sharks. They started playing this song during Dolphins games, if you remember, "Fins to the right, Fins to the left." Furthermore, the phrase "Fins Up" is on his Landshark beer bottle, and he has a club at Margaritaville named the "Fins Up" club. Once Buffet got involved, that phrase was being generated on the big screens at the stadium, and it gained traction with the players and Fins fans ever since. There were players like Davone Bess, Mike Pouncey, and Reshad Jones endorsing the phrase earlier than Stills and McCain, but they have continued the trend and it's been growing ever since.

No, it was way before Stills and McCain were on the team. I first started hearing the phrase (in relation with our Fins) when Jimmy Buffet (a close friend of Stephen Ross) became involved with the Fins back in 2009. The phrase derived from a Buffet song called, "Fins" which really was about sharks. They started playing this song during Dolphins games, if you remember, "Fins to the right, Fins to the left." Furthermore, the phrase "Fins Up" is on his Landshark beer bottle, and he has a club at Margaritaville named the "Fins Up" club. Once Buffet got involved, that phrase was being generated on the big screens at the stadium, and it gained traction with the players and Fins fans ever since. There were players like Davone Bess, Mike Pouncey, and Reshad Jones endorsing the phrase earlier than Stills and McCain, but they have continued the trend and it's been growing ever since.

You are correct sir.

Everyone thinks of a Dolphin as a cute cuddly phish, but deep down they are in the killer whale family so don't mess with them.

You've been warned. :coffee

Phins up!!!!

Edit: Fins up!

Last edited:

landshark-lager.jpg

THX so much for the history lesson! As a life long Dolphins fan only seeing them at Arrowhead twice and limited media access, I had no clue what it meant or where it came from. I ASS-U-MED it had to do with the logo change. Thx again, learn something every day .

This is good info - gets me thinking (yes, that's smoke you smell) it might be good to start a repository of dolphins info/history around here in a more reference oriented format. Stuff like this you are not going to find on wikipedia.

Well said. I disagree on the growing trend though.

It is also the most annoying quote and most inappropriate song to be used for the Dolphins.
The "Fins up" and "Fins the the left, Fins to the right" refers to sharks and was heavily used for Landshark Beer.

The signature identification for a shark is the fin sticking out of the water. The signature identification of a Dolphin is jumping in and out of the water.

They tried for years to replace our old fight song inserting the fins song in the 2-minute warning and after TDs. But it didn't go over to well. Mostly kids and some teenage girls did this stupid song. On the other hand when our old fight song plays (as cheesy as it is) literally the entire stadium stands and sings. They started using our old fight song again for the 2-minute warning and TDs are celebrated to the fight song. Last year and the year before that the shark song was limited to extra points but I have not heard that song in the first game at all anymore. I hope it is being laid to rest.

Yea fins up has been around for longer than any current player - well maybe not Denney.

This is an interesting post, I have never really thought about it before, figured it had been around forever

I do wish people would decide once and for all if its phins up or fins up

Back
Top Bottom